Alert roster question

Started by Walkman, June 05, 2012, 02:33:47 AM

Walkman

Working on new alert roster for my squadron. First time doing it. Not everyone is qual'd in the same areas. Should I create different call down lists for each time of mission? What's the best way to go about this?

Thanks

Eclipse

I would have general one for the whole squadron, and one for ES.  You could split the ES one into two groups for Air & Ground, but I wouldn't
micro it past that.

You'll kill yourself trying to align it with quals and ratings.  It'll be hard enough to keep current just at that level.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on June 05, 2012, 02:42:14 AM
I would have general one for the whole squadron, and one for ES.  You could split the ES one into two groups for Air & Ground, but I wouldn't
micro it past that.

You'll kill yourself trying to align it with quals and ratings.  It'll be hard enough to keep current just at that level.
+1

Keep it simple.....I would only have one Recall Roster....just Mark those with ES on them...and stack them on the top of the roster.

ES call out....only call those with ES.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Walkman

What if I create the main roster from everyone that is GES. Then I mark who is qualified for what on the list, so each person knows who on their list they need to call for a particular mission...

lordmonar

Quote from: Walkman on June 05, 2012, 03:05:49 AM
What if I create the main roster from everyone that is GES. Then I mark who is qualified for what on the list, so each person knows who on their list they need to call for a particular mission...
I would maintain the qualification list seperately.  I would mark those GES qualified for the ES only recall.

Personally......haveing used recall rosters for 22 years in my active duty career.....I found that that beyond being a handy list of phone numbers...I found that it was easier, quicker and more accurate to simply call everyone myself.   (assuming that the number is around 10).

I would keep that in mind...when building the recall roster.
If you want it to be a chain....a, calls b, who calls c....all the way to Z who calls a to report the recall completed....you will find it takes a whole lot more time then A calling b-i, J calling L-S, T calling U-Z.

Assume you have 40 people who need to be called.  The CC calls 1,2,3,4 in turn....passes the message on.  1-4 have to find a pen and paper, record teh message and find their recall roster.....say 10 minutes from phone ring to first call.
1-4 have to call 9 people under them.....each one has to find pen and paper and their recall roster........that's 90 minutes to get to the end of the list.  More if there are any holes in the recall roster (no one answered)....add that to the 40 minutes it took #4 to start making his calls (X+40) you are at X+130 before the last person on the list is notified.

Take the same list.  1-4 each call the names under them.....since the receipiant only needs to get the info....no real need to find pen and paper, or their recall rosters.  so...now you are looking at only 2-3 minutes per call....that makes your recall complete at X+70....a savings of over an hour!

YMMV.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Walkman

^ Good advice.

I'm finishing my Tech rating in ES, and two of the tasks is to create the alert roster and test it. I'll make the main roster for everyone that is GES and use that for the test. Everyone that participates can get that task signed of the SQTRs as well. I already have a Google Docs spreadsheet with everyone's quals. Since we only have a handful of people right now that are ready for specific missions, I can use that to make a mission call down list on the spot. If a UDF sortie pops up, I only have 4 people to call anyway, same for Scanner.

As we get more people qual'd and I learn more about the ESO job, I can tweak the rosters to satisfy both letter & intent.

Appreciate the advice!

Capt_Redfox30

I found this on the National Best Practice's site years ago, and modified it some, but I think the basics of what you are looking for is there. 

I had to make it a PDF, if you PM me I can send you the excel file of it. 
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

Walkman

Quote from: Capt_Redfox30 on June 05, 2012, 03:56:07 AM
I found this on the National Best Practice's site years ago, and modified it some, but I think the basics of what you are looking for is there. 

I had to make it a PDF, if you PM me I can send you the excel file of it.

Nice! That gives me some ideas. Thank you.