Corporate Flightsuit - G&B Navy vs. Dark Navy

Started by Imouttahere, July 01, 2019, 11:10:46 AM

Imouttahere

Quick question with hopefully a simple answer.  Anyone have any experience ordering a corporate flightsuit from Gibson and Barnes?  Specifically, several of their flightsuit and jacket options have Navy and Dark Navy colors.  I know for the corp BDU, I ordered LAPD Blue, which is a dark navy and a dead match to the new name tags.  Anyone have an informed opinion on Navy vs. Dark Navy on the flightsuits?  Thanks all for your help

CFToaster

CAPM 39-1 26 JUNE 2014 99
8.3.1. This Corporate uniform may be worn by active members.
8.3.2. Corporate FDU. Figure 8.4. The CFDU is navy blue in color and of similar design to the
USAF-style FDU. The CFDU is constructed of either Nomex or a cotton polyester blend; either is
authorized. The CFDU will only be worn with the accoutrements and outergarments outlined in this
chapter

It looks to me like anything that fits the description of "navy blue," regardless of shade, is authorized. They didn't give us a Pantone code for reference....

NIN

Dark Navy should be the color, really.

Unless you have a specific need for Nomex in a size that is not manufactured for the military, there are better, less expensive alternatives to G&B.  I only recently ordered from G&B after a many year hiatus (the last time I ordered from them, they may still have been "Flightsuits Limited"), and while the quality was there, the "G&B Tax" was pretty high.

I have a few SAC Missile Crew uniforms, the dark blue flight suit that is a poly-blend and they're awesome.  Plus they're WAY cheaper than G&B if you troll on eBay long enough. You will not, however, find SAC bags in a size 52 Extra-Tall or a 12 Dwarf. (bonus points if you get the movie line reference)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

THRAWN

Now I want a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper...

Quote from: NIN on July 01, 2019, 02:00:45 PM

Unless you have a specific need for Nomex in a size that is not manufactured for the military, there are better, less expensive alternatives to G&B.  I only recently ordered from G&B after a many year hiatus (the last time I ordered from them, they may still have been "Flightsuits Limited"), and while the quality was there, the "G&B Tax" was pretty high.

I have a few SAC Missile Crew uniforms, the dark blue flight suit that is a poly-blend and they're awesome.  Plus they're WAY cheaper than G&B if you troll on eBay long enough. You will not, however, find SAC bags in a size 52 Extra-Tall or a 12 Dwarf. (bonus points if you get the movie line reference)
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Imouttahere

Thanks guys. Looking for something new vs surplus. Interestingly enough, the G&B flightsuits are cheaper off the site  than VG. I haven't been able to nail down another source for Navy flight suits so I'll probably end up going with them. Appreciate the replies folks.

SarDragon

Get the Dark Navy if you go that route. A guy in my squadron works there, and that's his advice. (Sorry, no CAP discount.) You should check their Clearance Items page for deals. (Currently only women's sizes)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spam

You will not, however, find SAC bags in a size 52 Extra-Tall or a 12 Dwarf. (bonus points if you get the movie line reference)

Smokey and the Bandit?

They would not be allowed to make a movie like that, today. Or Blazing Saddles... Tolerance has killed comedy.

Cheers
Spam

baronet68

You will not, however, find SAC bags in a size 52 Extra-Tall 68 Extra-Fat or a 12 Dwarf. (bonus points if you get the movie line reference)

FTFY
;D
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

NIN

Grrr. I had originally not intended to use the movie reference, so I typed "extra-tall" and then lost my mind.

Nevermind.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Shuman 14

Quote from: Spam on July 01, 2019, 05:55:47 PM
You will not, however, find SAC bags in a size 52 Extra-Tall or a 12 Dwarf. (bonus points if you get the movie line reference)

Smokey and the Bandit?

They would not be allowed to make a movie like that, today. Or Blazing Saddles... Tolerance has killed comedy.

Cheers
Spam

So true.  :(

[link redacted. Dude, come on. There's cadets here. -NIN]
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Imouttahere

Quote from: SarDragon on July 01, 2019, 05:45:58 PM
Get the Dark Navy if you go that route. A guy in my squadron works there, and that's his advice. (Sorry, no CAP discount.) You should check their Clearance Items page for deals. (Currently only women's sizes)

Good advice. Thanks for asking around!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Imouttahere

For what it's worth, it looks like a non-issue. Their nomex blend only comes in Navy. Looks like the cotton polyester is what comes in Dark Navy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slim

Quote from: THRAWN on July 01, 2019, 03:18:17 PM
Now I want a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper...

Are we talking about flights suits or cowboy costumes???  I forget....

Slim

Shuman 14

Quote[link redacted. Dude, come on. There's cadets here. -NIN]

Sorry.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

SimpleCM

I like the Tru-Spec poly/cotton in Navy Blue. Comfortable and holds up well. The Vanguard one used to be Rothco (worst knock off manufacturer of military clothing EVER!). The first time I wore it on a hot summer day, the dye in the neck washed out from sweating and the collar turned lavender! I got the Tru-Spec here: https://tacticalgear.com/tru-spec-poly-cotton-twill-27-p-flight-suits-dark-navy
Lt Col Bob Jennings, CAP
Vice Commander - Operations
HQ, NJ Wing