More on shutting down VORs

Started by Cliff_Chambliss, August 11, 2012, 12:11:32 AM

Cliff_Chambliss

Today I received the Quarterly FAA SATNAV Newsletter.  For those not familiar with this product it is the FAA's latest take on all things GPS and  related subjects such as approaches, WAAS, terminology, etc.  However what makes this newsletter stand out is an article "VOR Minimum Operational Network (MON) Informational Paper.  Yep, it addressed the scaling back and shutting down VOR's.   Some interesting points addressed:
Timetable for VOR Scale Back before 2020.
Minimum altitude for future VOR to VOR Navigation:  Minimum 5,000 ft AGL.
Radar Vectors, DME, and AdF equipment will no longer be part of instrument approaches.
When all is said and done the total number of VOR's will be 497,
232 in western US mountainous areas:
40 in Alaska
192 to support ILS Approaches
57 to support VOR Approaches
5,000 ft AGL Coverage fillers  34
Core 30  airport fillers 17
The remainder will be in the Islands.

Included in the article are various charts showing where the VOR's are located that will be shut down, and what the Victor Airway System will look like in 7 years.

This is a free online newsletter and it and prior editions are available at the following address:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/service_units/techops/navservices/gnss/library/satnav/
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

BigShu

Very handy link, Cliff! I found lots of interesting gems to subscribe to, as if my in box isn't crowded enough....