beginner volunteer

Started by emmyloo85, August 29, 2011, 02:09:29 AM

emmyloo85

Hello,

I am looking into getting my private pilot license and would LOVE to volunteer with my local unit, which is based in Louisville, KY at Bowman Field. I've emailed the Commander with some questions and am still waiting for a reply. While I wait, I was just wondering
if anyone knows if it is difficult to get a position as a pilot volunteer. It seems like a lot of people would want to fly for CAP. i know its not a paid position, but it just seems like an exciting opportunity.

I don't have any military experience, but it doesn't seem like I need it from what I've read. I'm sure they would prefer pilots with lots
of experience, but the requirements just say that you need your pilot license.

Any idea how often they run missions, and how much time I could expect to spend volunteering? Also, I'm a 26 year old female. Think I'll run into any girls my age in CAP? Thanks for any help you can give!  :)

cap235629

Once you have your PPL you can become a CAP Pilot.

As a CAP pilot you can operate a CAP airplane to gain proficiency. In many cases rental of a CAP plane is less expensive than going through the local FBO.

Once you get a total of 100 hours PIC, you can become a CAP Transport Mission Pilot which will allow you to fly shuttling aircraft for CAP on their dime.

You will not be able to be a Mission Pilot, SAR and other taskings, until you have a total of 200 PIC time.

There are other flight crew opportunities for you as a Mission Scanner, Airborne Photographer and Mission Observer while you build PIC time.

There are even more opportunities that do not involve flying.

As far as being a 26 year old female, you would be in a minority in my experience but should NOT let that be a deterrent, rather I would look at it as an opportunity to contribute!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

emmyloo85

awesome!

I do have one concern, and that is I work full time and I'm married. I would love to be able to volunteer as much as possible, but I know that sometimes my time will be limited because of my family and job. Is there a minimum amount of time that pilots are expected to volunteer in order to remain a member? I know the training will require a lot of time, as would missions. I just wonder if I could somehow work out a schedule that would be doable for both me and the unit, or if CAP needs people that are just really flexible.

SarDragon

There's no minimum obligation, but you need to budget enough time to participate at a level that allows you to attain and maintain your qualifications. Become a functional member of the unit, and do what you can within your time constraints, and everyone should be happy.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret