Main Menu

Old CAP Slideshow

Started by Capt Thompson, December 09, 2015, 06:41:36 AM

Spam

Gents, our page has been updated as promised to re-post the Historical Documentation (local news feature video), at: http://www.ga045.org/history/

It has some first hand info on the Scott Crossfield mission.

V/R
Spam

Live2Learn

SSCS is a very impressive squadron with an inspiring history!

BillB

As I was FLWG Encampment Commander in 1968, we had several; Sandy Springs cadets attend. Without a doubt they were among the outstanding "basic" cadets attending. Two were among the top three for "Basic Cadet of the Encampment".  I no olonger have the names since all records were sent to the Wing Historian and since have been lost.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Spam

Teammates,

as the current SSCS/CC, I'm only one of many "custodians" of our ongoing history, as is LTC Berry and as are so many of all of you. Thanks so much for your warm comments on my home unit.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but rather to bring it back to the theme of the original poster and that of the Hysterical History area. That slide show was very interesting and set me to thinking. One of the underlying reasons that some units like GA045 seem to have been able to maintain a fairly consistent training standard over the decades seems (to me) to be directly tied to the preservation of a sense of tradition and history and belonging. This can have its dark side (forgive me, Thrawn, for the SW reference) in that we need to avoid becoming hide bound by tradition that wont adapt to a changing world, but, an appreciation of heritage and mission continuity has really played a strong part in maintaining a consistent, practiced "battle rhythm" in the stronger units I've served in and commanded.  The units that retain their history correlate with those units that have a higher esprit de corps, and perhaps a higher retention rate, although I cant substantiate that. I do sense a correlation between units that preserve and revere their local history and the willingness of "CAP Veterans" - former cadets, now adult professionals, perhaps now pilots, engineers, maintainers, or a broad variety of skills - to return to service with CAP to pay it forward. Call it Maslow's pyramid of needs if you like - needing to belong to an organization that is greater than yourself.

So, I suppose I'm generating advocacy for the Historian as a mission enabler.

Are there local templates or local historian how to guides to support capturing that local experience to inspire future members? (Speaking as a non historian type).

V/R
Spam

Garibaldi

Spam, you forgot to mention the history of our squadron patch, and our yearly viewing of the Great Pumpkin in October to celebrate Snoopy's never give up spirit. I like when the newer cadets realize there's a lot of history behind our Snoopy patch (officially sanctioned by Charles Shultz himself!) instead of viewing it as just something else they need to sew on their uniform.

We not return you to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Garibaldi on January 04, 2016, 02:49:01 PM
Spam, you forgot to mention the history of our squadron patch, and our yearly viewing of the Great Pumpkin in October to celebrate Snoopy's never give up spirit. I like when the newer cadets realize there's a lot of history behind our Snoopy patch (officially sanctioned by Charles Shultz himself!) instead of viewing it as just something else they need to sew on their uniform.

We sure could use a 'Flyin' 45th' patch here at the Vets' Hall bar here on Kwajalein - a few of my unit patches already grace the walls!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Garibaldi

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 04, 2016, 07:44:37 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on January 04, 2016, 02:49:01 PM

We sure could use a 'Flyin' 45th' patch here at the Vets' Hall bar here on Kwajalein - a few of my unit patches already grace the walls!

PM Spam. It's his final decision, but I'm all for it. I already got rid of my spare Dekalb patch (purchased when I rejoined briefly in 2012), and I ain't parting with the 2 vintage ones I still have.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

radioguy

Nice work on the slide show.  Haven't seen those O.D. fatigues for quite a while.  Also, I assume that you added the music track, since "Gettysburg" was not released until 1993 or so.

-John