Main Menu

Want safety? Stay out of S. Korea!

Started by Майор Хаткевич, November 07, 2009, 10:49:35 PM

Майор Хаткевич

desertengineer1

From someone who has spent time in South Korea, you have to take these stories with a grain of salt.

Whenerver you see the words "but local media reports.." whatever follows will be a significantly exaggerated datapoint.  I've heard the drivers test is a lot harder than here.  Because it is a densly populated country, a large number of people don't have cars.  They commute on the light rail or take cabs.

There is also a significant disjoint between young and old generations.

Drivers are a little more crazy than here, but far better than what I've seen in the Middle East or Southern Europe.  I was convinced they were out to kill each other during my time in Saudi.

SarDragon

The driver's test is harder, and they have a different, more serious,  attitude about driving.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SarDragon on November 15, 2009, 07:49:47 PM
The driver's test is harder, and they have a different, more serious,  attitude about driving.

So does Europe.

I visited friends and family in August 2007 - been driving for 14 months at that point. My friends still had 'student licenses'. Can't drive a car until 18 there, or a bike until 21.

Now, following those rules is another issue altogether. 

Pumbaa

Man stay out of Norfolk Virgina!  These folks are just plum nuts on the road!

Strick

Quote from: Pumbaa on November 15, 2009, 10:06:42 PM
Man stay out of Norfolk Virgina!  These folks are just plum nuts on the road!

People in the South just drive like tht when people from the North East are around......YANKEE STAY OFF OUR ROADS.............
[darn]atio memoriae

NIN

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 15, 2009, 10:05:20 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on November 15, 2009, 07:49:47 PM

So does Europe.

I visited friends and family in August 2007 - been driving for 14 months at that point. My friends still had 'student licenses'. Can't drive a car until 18 there, or a bike until 21.

Now, following those rules is another issue altogether.

Folks in Europe are at least a little "civilized."  The Marquess of Queensberry or whoever that guy was and all.

To get a military drivers license in Korea, you had to take a reaction time test.  Yeah! 

Some rules that I remember:

• The horn is as natural an item of your driving as your turn signal or your windshield wipers.  Use it.
  • If I am ahead, I win.
  • If I am bigger than you are, I win.
  • If I make eye contact with you, I lose.
  • Traffic signals are a suggestion. Please look both ways when entering an intersection on a green light.
  • The concept of a "hole shot" was invented on the Seoul-Pusan expressway.
  • I don't need to see behind me.  Mirrors are for wimps!
  • Step off the curb and you're fair game
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

bosshawk

About the only thing that has changed in Korea since I was stationed there in the early 60s is that they have an expressway.  Looks like everything else is the same.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777