Main Menu

Field First Aid Kit

Started by Major Carrales, December 16, 2006, 08:22:27 PM

Major Carrales

I should very much like to compile a "kit" for our Hangar.  We don't currently have an Aircraft, but the time approacheth where we might.  Ideally, it would augment what things one would have in the Aircraft and on hand for other purposes.

Shall we have a discussion on exactally, based on common sense and documentation as well as specualtion, what should go into such a kit?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

SJFedor

Well, if you want to get something prepackaged, as well as something you can use as a "First In" bag for any GT sorties, I'd recommend just googling a "trauma bag" and take a look at the bags and what they have. Obviously you won't need ET tubes or laryngoscope blades, but most of them have the good first aid stuff (splints, slings, bandaids, ABD's, ice packs)

That covers the first aid. When I was in PA, we always had a cold weather sleeping bag in the back, you may not need that down in TX though. Maybe some of those silver moon blankets, signal panels, flashlight, emergency strobe if you can get your hands on it, some flint to make a fire (though if you crash, there will probably be a lot of it for you to use already), and an MRE or two can never hurt.

Don't forget, weight is a factor. I'm sure some people would wrap the whole interior in 6 inches of foam rubber if we let them.

Speaking of, TP should make a new uniform for those "not so high speed" cadets. Foam rubber BDU's. I think it would go over well.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Major Carrales

Quote from: SJFedor on December 16, 2006, 08:43:56 PM
Well, if you want to get something prepackaged, as well as something you can use as a "First In" bag for any GT sorties, I'd recommend just googling a "trauma bag" and take a look at the bags and what they have. Obviously you won't need ET tubes or laryngoscope blades, but most of them have the good first aid stuff (splints, slings, bandaids, ABD's, ice packs)

That covers the first aid. When I was in PA, we always had a cold weather sleeping bag in the back, you may not need that down in TX though. Maybe some of those silver moon blankets, signal panels, flashlight, emergency strobe if you can get your hands on it, some flint to make a fire (though if you crash, there will probably be a lot of it for you to use already), and an MRE or two can never hurt.

Don't forget, weight is a factor. I'm sure some people would wrap the whole interior in 6 inches of foam rubber if we let them.

Speaking of, TP should make a new uniform for those "not so high speed" cadets. Foam rubber BDU's. I think it would go over well.

Thanks for the tip.  I may purchase some of those "jungle" first aid kits for personal use.  Sort of a utilitarian gift.  The I plan to get a foot locker and fill it with assorted supplies.

I will look up the pre-packaged stuff.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

arajca

For the hanger, I recommend an OSHA complinat first aid kit for the highest number of people you expect to be in the hanger at one time. They are available with all ingredients and componentes wrapped and sealed to prevent them going bad.

Major Carrales

Quote from: arajca on December 16, 2006, 10:26:02 PM
For the hanger, I recommend an OSHA complinat first aid kit for the highest number of people you expect to be in the hanger at one time. They are available with all ingredients and componentes wrapped and sealed to prevent them going bad.

How about this...

Large, 10 Person Bulk Kit
Item: 222-G

Large, 10 Person Bulk First Aid Kit, plastic case w/gasket - 1 each
This 62-piece first aid kit, is ideal for contractors, vehicles or small companies with less than 10 employees. It exceeds federal OSHA requirements 1910.151b. (State requirements may vary.) Sturdy and convenient, the 10-unit plastic case contains the first aid essentials to prepare you for work-related accidents.

Kit Includes:
· (16) 3/4"x3" Adhesive plastic bandages
· (1) 2"x4" Elbow & knee plastic bandage
· (1) 1-3/4"x2" Small fingertip fabric bandage
· (4) 2"x2" Gauze dressing pads, (2) 2-pks
· (4) 3"x3" Gauze dressing pads, (2) 2-pks
· (2) 4"x4" Gauze dressing pads, (1) 2-pack
· (1) 5"x9" Trauma pad
· (1) 2"x4.1 yd. Conforming gauze roll bandage
· (1) 3"x4.1 yd. Conforming gauze roll bandage
· (1) Triangular sling/bandage
· (1) 6"x9" Instant cold compress
· (2) Exam quality gloves, 1 pair
· (1) Sterile eye pad
· (3) Triple antibiotic ointment packs
· (1) Burn relief pack, 3.5 gm
· (6) Alcohol cleansing pads
· (6) Antiseptic cleansing wipes (sting free)
· (1) 1"x5 yd. First aid tape roll
· (6) Aspirin tablets, (3) 2-pks
· (1) 4-1/2" Scissors, nickel plated
· (1) 4" Tweezers, plastic
· (1) First aid guide
Kit Dimensions: 7-11/16"x4-9/16"x2-3/8"

Commander
SWR-TX-454

NEBoom

About the only thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned already is some sort of barrier device for rescue breathing.  We used to have a couple or three in our GT kit.  The ones we acquired were real nice.  They were called "the Blob" and they had a silicon gel ring that went over the victim's face.  Sealed real well and was also good if the victim had facial injuries.  There was a check valve in the tube you blow into to prevent any "blowback" from the victim to the rescuer (never a good thing).
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

Major Carrales

Quote from: NEBoom on December 16, 2006, 11:19:11 PM
About the only thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned already is some sort of barrier device for rescue breathing.  We used to have a couple or three in our GT kit.  The ones we acquired were real nice.  They were called "the Blob" and they had a silicon gel ring that went over the victim's face.  Sealed real well and was also good if the victim had facial injuries.  There was a check valve in the tube you blow into to prevent any "blowback" from the victim to the rescuer (never a good thing).

There was an extremely old version of that that had to be thrown out.  In time I am sure we can get all of the in order.

Thanks

Commander
SWR-TX-454

SJFedor

If you're gonna get a barrier type breathing apparatus, I recommend going just slightly more high quality then the one you keep on your keyring for 10 years.

The ones we use in the hospital (ok, the ones they use on M/S floors in the hospital, we use BVM's in the ED) are face shield like deals off the BVM (bag valve mask, ambu bag, whatever u wanna call it) but they have a 6 inch tube that comes off with a mouthpiece at the end. You hold it nice and tight against the victims face, and blow into the tube. It allows you to NOT be an inch from the victim's face, if they suddenly jerk or spew, regardless of what's over their mouth, and they're very effective.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

Major Carrales

Quote from: SJFedor on December 19, 2006, 05:42:13 PM
If you're gonna get a barrier type breathing apparatus, I recommend going just slightly more high quality then the one you keep on your keyring for 10 years.

The ones we use in the hospital (ok, the ones they use on M/S floors in the hospital, we use BVM's in the ED) are face shield like deals off the BVM (bag valve mask, ambu bag, whatever u wanna call it) but they have a 6 inch tube that comes off with a mouthpiece at the end. You hold it nice and tight against the victims face, and blow into the tube. It allows you to NOT be an inch from the victim's face, if they suddenly jerk or spew, regardless of what's over their mouth, and they're very effective.

PM me some links to some examples if you get a chance.  :)

Commander
SWR-TX-454

NEBoom

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 19, 2006, 10:50:36 PM

Actually, please put the links up here, there are probably many who would be interested.
Thanks!
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

Major Carrales

Quote from: NEBoom on December 20, 2006, 01:16:36 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on December 19, 2006, 10:50:36 PM

Actually, please put the links up here, there are probably many who would be interested.
Thanks!

Excellent suggestion.  I had called for the PM out of respect for the "no soliciting on the forum" convention.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

DNall

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 16, 2006, 10:59:34 PM
Quote from: arajca on December 16, 2006, 10:26:02 PM

How about this...

Large, 10 Person Bulk Kit
Item: 222-G

Large, 10 Person Bulk First Aid Kit, plastic case w/gasket - 1 each
This 62-piece first aid kit, is ideal for contractors, vehicles or small companies with less than 10 employees. It exceeds federal OSHA requirements 1910.151b. (State requirements may vary.) Sturdy and convenient, the 10-unit plastic case contains the first aid essentials to prepare you for work-related accidents.

Kit Includes:
· (16) 3/4"x3" Adhesive plastic bandages
· (1) 2"x4" Elbow & knee plastic bandage
· (1) 1-3/4"x2" Small fingertip fabric bandage
· (4) 2"x2" Gauze dressing pads, (2) 2-pks
· (4) 3"x3" Gauze dressing pads, (2) 2-pks
· (2) 4"x4" Gauze dressing pads, (1) 2-pack
· (1) 5"x9" Trauma pad
· (1) 2"x4.1 yd. Conforming gauze roll bandage
· (1) 3"x4.1 yd. Conforming gauze roll bandage
· (1) Triangular sling/bandage
· (1) 6"x9" Instant cold compress
· (2) Exam quality gloves, 1 pair
· (1) Sterile eye pad
· (3) Triple antibiotic ointment packs
· (1) Burn relief pack, 3.5 gm
· (6) Alcohol cleansing pads
· (6) Antiseptic cleansing wipes (sting free)
· (1) 1"x5 yd. First aid tape roll
· (6) Aspirin tablets, (3) 2-pks
· (1) 4-1/2" Scissors, nickel plated
· (1) 4" Tweezers, plastic
· (1) First aid guide
Kit Dimensions: 7-11/16"x4-9/16"x2-3/8"
Keep the wallmount hanger kit seperate from the GT version, which stays safely packed in the gear. I do 3 sets of gloves in a compass pouch for easy access & the sealed box in the bottom of my gear so it doesn't get volunteered to demonstrate with.

The above is pretty good. And do get a decent barrier breathing device as mentioned. Those are pretty easy to come by really. I inherited a couple just from the lil sisters working as lifeguards back in the day. Go with the mask, extra gloves, antiseptic, & bandaids that you intend to use, and then wall mount the sealed box just like you would a fire extinguisher.

Major Carrales

DNALL,

I am gratful for your input in this matter.  I consider your expertise very valuable.

Thank you.

Major Carrales

Commander
SWR-TX-454

DNall

You know you're just happy I didn't turn it into a uniform discussion  ;D >:D
NP, buddy! Anything I can do to help.

Major Carrales

Quote from: DNall on December 20, 2006, 06:45:02 AM
You know you're just happy I didn't turn it into a uniform discussion  ;D >:D
NP, buddy! Anything I can do to help.

;D

I'm just happy for us all...we work best when we work together.  If you are the Dennis of which I have made inquiries and researched, it seems to me that you should be the guru of the safety forum.  Talk uniforms all you want, but here is your first best destiny.  Seriously.

Major Carrales

Commander
SWR-TX-454

DNall

Great. Fan clubs, groopies, security investigators, and now I'm getting googled too - hey the one on ESPN about Rick Honeycutt (now pitching coach for the Dodgers) is me too.

Major Carrales

Quote from: DNall on December 20, 2006, 06:54:22 AM
Great. Fan clubs, groopies, security investigators, and now I'm getting googled too - hey the one on ESPN about Rick Honeycutt (now pitching coach for the Dodgers) is me too.

Hey, you're a TEXAN and not all that far out of my unit's range.

I have long said I look forward to meeting you...a boast I would not make if I had reason not to. 

In anycase, I've declared you a friend.  I hope you consider me the same.

Major Carrales

Commander
SWR-TX-454

DNall

Roger that, just so I don't have to duck.  ;D Look forward to it. I know some others haven't met many people off these things, but man I swear it seems like everything I go to there's people there who know my work on these things & find it interesting to get to know me - I still don't know if that's good or bad, but it's interesting anyway & been very positive so far.

SJFedor

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

SJFedor

Quote from: SJFedor on December 20, 2006, 10:30:20 AM
www.savelives.com

They've got tons of stuff, prices aren't too bad, and they have everything from basic first aid all the way to ACLS and ATLS.

Stocked Trauma bags are about $150 and up, but unless you're using them constantly, theyll last a long time, and have everything you need.

And, who knew, free shipping for anything above $100!

Toys....

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver