Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Mitchell 1969

Great job on the rack builder!

I've got one suggestion. There are still a few people around who completed the achievements in the Cadet Program when the Eaker Award was announced, but who did not receive the award. Instead, they were authorized to wear the Earhart with a silver CLASP. In theory, the Earhart could have a silver clasp, and two stars (COS and Model Rocketry).

I don't know if the Rocketry and COS stars stays on the ribbon for seniors, but the clasp on the Earhart definitely does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

baronet68

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on November 26, 2018, 05:33:07 AM

I've got one suggestion. There are still a few people around who completed the achievements in the Cadet Program when the Eaker Award was announced, but who did not receive the award. Instead, they were authorized to wear the Earhart with a silver CLASP. In theory, the Earhart could have a silver clasp, and two stars (COS and Model Rocketry).

I don't know if the Rocketry and COS stars stays on the ribbon for seniors, but the clasp on the Earhart definitely does.

The Earhart silver clasp was rescinded long ago and no longer appears in CAPR 39-3.  Members who completed the appropriate cadet achievements before creation of the award can send documentation to NHQ and receive an unnumbered Eaker certificate.

The rocketry star on the Goddard ribbon was never transferable/movable so it has always stayed on the Goddard ribbon for cadet officers who had earned the Model Rocketry Badge. 

The Cadet Officer School star on the Mitchell ribbon is currently the only transferable/movable attachment.  Senior members can move the COS star to their highest cadet milestone ribbon.

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: baronet68 on November 26, 2018, 07:13:12 AM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on November 26, 2018, 05:33:07 AM

The Earhart silver clasp was rescinded long ago and no longer appears in CAPR 39-3.  Members who completed the appropriate cadet achievements before creation of the award can send documentation to NHQ and receive an unnumbered Eaker certificate.

The rocketry star on the Goddard ribbon was never transferable/movable so it has always stayed on the Goddard ribbon for cadet officers who had earned the Model Rocketry Badge. 

The Cadet Officer School star on the Mitchell ribbon is currently the only transferable/movable attachment.  Senior members can move the COS star to their highest cadet milestone ribbon.

Thanks for all of that.

I know a few people who are passionate about that Earhart clasp. It is what they earned and what they wore. Same train of thought as the people who earned the COP and still wear it.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

Paul Creed III

Firstly, great job on the rack builder - it is an awesome resource.

For the Commanders Commendation ribbon, could you with a check-box and number of award selection rather than a single drop-down? For example, I have earned 4 Commander's Commendations and 2 National Commander Commander's Commendations and I don't see a way of selecting that particular combo from the drop-down (perhaps my coffee has not yet settled in though, in case I am missing it).
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

Eclipse

Quote from: Paul Creed III on November 26, 2018, 01:43:59 PM

For the Commanders Commendation ribbon, could you with a check-box and number of award selection rather than a single drop-down? For example, I have earned 4 Commander's Commendations and 2 National Commander Commander's Commendations and I don't see a way of selecting that particular combo from the drop-down (perhaps my coffee has not yet settled in though, in case I am missing it).

That's still only a single star, isn't it?  (and then the total number for attachments).

"That Others May Zoom"

Paul Creed III

Quote from: Eclipse on November 26, 2018, 01:45:16 PM
Quote from: Paul Creed III on November 26, 2018, 01:43:59 PM

That's still only a single star, isn't it?  (and then the total number for attachments).

Yes, sir, you are indeed correct.

"In the event of multiple awards, the bronze or silver star is placed on the ribbon to the wearer's right of any clasps for multiple awards at any level. Only one bronze or silver star (one star of each type) will be worn. "

Lack of caffeine absorption this morning.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

baronet68

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on November 26, 2018, 11:02:11 AM
I know a few people who are passionate about that Earhart clasp. It is what they earned and what they wore. Same train of thought as the people who earned the COP and still wear it.

The COP is still listed in 39-3's order of precedence, but I'll cave-in and add the Earhart clasp.

But now the really big question... which is higher precedence on the ribbon, the clasp or the star?

Fubar

Have you ever been awarded a ribbon for all this work?

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: baronet68 on November 27, 2018, 12:37:35 AM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on November 26, 2018, 11:02:11 AM

The COP is still listed in 39-3's order of precedence, but I'll cave-in and add the Earhart clasp.

But now the really big question... which is higher precedence on the ribbon, the clasp or the star?

Logic says...silver clasp takes precedence, as it became part of the award. The star indicates an add-on for a single purpose.

Anyway, that's how I'd see it.

baronet68

Quote from: Fubar on November 27, 2018, 03:41:43 AM
Have you ever been awarded a ribbon for all this work?

No... but if I were to award myself one, it would be the Distinguished Service Medal because the rack builder is conspicuous and reflects upon the accomplishments and prestige of CAP on a national scale.   ;D

Here are some facts/observations about the rack builder:

• Confirmed active web links from various unit web pages across at least 38 Wings, two Region HQ domains, and National HQ
  • Average of ~200 racks built per day for 15 years, with a noticeable up-tick during the summer encampment months
  • More than 470 individual ribbon images were made by yours truly using my favorite image-creation software... MS Paint  :o
  • An additional 400+ individual miniature medal images in the works to (hopefully) fully expand the rack builder to properly display mini medals
  • Earlier (non-horizontally striped) ribbon artwork was used by NHQ to publish CAPR 39-3 - Note the Achievement Ribbon was newly created at the time and didn't exist on the rack builder so they had to use someone else's image in that spot  ;)
  • Later (horizontally striped) artwork has been used by others for their own web sites and also on the CAP Awards Wikipedia page
  • Thousands of Cadets fantasize about their award-winning potential - I can see each rack that's built in the site logs and cadets just LOVE to see what a rack looks like when it contains EVERY SINGLE RIBBON AVAILABLE  ::)
  • Thousands of Senior Members now know which color goes on which side of their Membership and Leadership ribbons - From the site logs, these two are the most common SM racks built with only one ribbon
  • Hosted entirely at personal expense as a gift to CAP
  • The rack builder was built from scratch using nothing but Notepad  8)

Luis R. Ramos

Oh, a few Senior Members use it for "what-if" scenarios as well...

Great work!

8)
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

maholtzclaw

Miniature medals are not authorized for community service ribbon or national cadet activities ribbon, but the rack builder creates them. Appreciate the updated builder as it is my go to resource for guidance.

Mark A. Holtzclaw Lt.Col, CAP
Director Aerospace Education
Ohio Wing

Luis R. Ramos

Sometimes I wonder if we could have the badges added to the rack on a size comparable to the ribbons. So far the only option I have known is to download each independently. But doing this ends with images that are not consistent with each other in one way or other.

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

baronet68

Quote from: maholtzclaw on November 29, 2018, 08:32:19 PM
Miniature medals are not authorized for community service ribbon or national cadet activities ribbon... <snip>

"Not authorized" or "not currently available from Vanguard"?

PHall

Quote from: baronet68 on December 01, 2018, 08:36:23 AM
Miniature medals are not authorized for community service ribbon or national cadet activities ribbon... <snip>

Considering that they're "Cadet" ribbons, there's probably very little demand for the mini medals and Vanguard won't make them unless there's a demand for them.
Or National tells them to live up to the contract and make them.

SarDragon

IIRC, cadets have no place to wear medals, mini or otherwise. Mini medals are only authorized on the Mess Dress and Corporate Semi-formal uniforms.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Vegas1972

Quote from: PHall on December 01, 2018, 05:11:01 PM

Considering that they're "Cadet" ribbons, there's probably very little demand for the mini medals and Vanguard won't make them unless there's a demand for them.

Not they need a mini-medal....but neither are cadet only awards are they?   Or just by tradition cadet only?
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.", Sgt. John M. Stryker.

PHall

Quote from: Vegas1972 on December 01, 2018, 07:04:32 PM
Quote from: PHall on December 01, 2018, 05:11:01 PM

Not they need a mini-medal....but neither are cadet only awards are they?   Or just by tradition cadet only?

Per the 39-3 the Community Service Ribbon can be awarded to both Cadets and Seniors and the National Cadet Special Activities Ribbon may be worn by a senior member if earned while a cadet.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: PHall on December 01, 2018, 08:33:33 PM
... National Cadet Special Activities Ribbon may be worn by a senior member if earned while a cadet.

That's not what 20.d says. "Awarded to cadets and senior members who participate in national cadet special activities"

The way it's written, you can earn it as a SM, not just continue to wear it after dark-siding.