Main Menu

Receiving awards

Started by imposter87, November 01, 2018, 12:02:08 PM

imposter87

I have noticed in my short time in CAP, that if you don't show up to Wing Conference you pretty much won't get any certificates you have been awarded (In two Wings). Case in point, I have had to call NHQ to get a copy of my Level 2 and 3 certificates because I could not drive 6+ hours to the Wing Conference that year due to vehicle issues.

Does anyone else have this issue?

arajca

It varies from wing to wing and wing/cc to wing/cc. I know my wing command team makes serious efforts to get them presented appropriately, even driving long distances themselves to do the honors.

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on November 01, 2018, 01:59:29 PM
It varies from wing to wing and wing/cc to wing/cc. I know my wing command team makes serious efforts to get them presented appropriately, even driving long distances themselves to do the honors.

+1 and same.

NHQ hasn't mailed out PD certs for at least 5 years, with each wing moving to locally printed certificates
as their supply runs out.

As I recall your Commander or PDO should be able to print them, and as you say, NHQ can email a copy.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

It's not uncommon to be approved for an award without it being presented to you (i.e., ribbon/medal and certificate), just as it's not uncommon for someone to earn a specialty badge or qualification without it going formally recognized (e.g., presenting a Cadet Programs specialty badge, or wings, etc.).

It is most definitely good practice to present these publicly, and as soon as practical.

Don't forget that your unit Commander and staff may not even be informed that you received an award. It just pops up on your profile without notification.

I was searching for the topic we had recently that included this issue; couldn't find it. I know we were talking about whether or not Wing Conferences are the proper forum, especially if it's nearly a year (or more) after you received the award on eServices.

GroundHawg

Quote from: imposter87 on November 01, 2018, 12:02:08 PM
I have noticed in my short time in CAP, that if you don't show up to Wing Conference you pretty much won't get any certificates you have been awarded (In two Wings). Case in point, I have had to call NHQ to get a copy of my Level 2 and 3 certificates because I could not drive 6+ hours to the Wing Conference that year due to vehicle issues.

I have two blank Commanders Commendation certificates and two blank Lifesaving certificates. None were presented. They just handed me the certs still in the folders they were mailed in. Didn't even bother to date them or fill them out. I still have never received my Davis certificate, and the Yeager cert I was given was filled in using a sharpie... looked absolutely ridiculous.

So yeah it happens.

Eclipse

None of that is acceptable, but the LS award is significant and unusual enough that someone should
have taken the proper time to award them, even if only at the unit on a meeting night.

"That Others May Zoom"

GroundHawg

Quote from: Eclipse on November 01, 2018, 05:06:46 PM
None of that is acceptable, but the LS award is significant and unusual enough that someone should
have taken the proper time to award them, even if only at the unit on a meeting night.

Well for once we totally agree on something ;D

THRAWN

Quote from: GroundHawg on November 01, 2018, 05:03:09 PM
Quote from: imposter87 on November 01, 2018, 12:02:08 PM

I have two blank Commanders Commendation certificates and two blank Lifesaving certificates. None were presented. They just handed me the certs still in the folders they were mailed in. Didn't even bother to date them or fill them out. I still have never received my Davis certificate, and the Yeager cert I was given was filled in using a sharpie... looked absolutely ridiculous.

So yeah it happens.

I got one award cert that looked like somebody that once took a calligraphy class at the county library decided to do the lettering. It went back in the folder, and back to the originator. There is no excuse for hand printed certificates for any award.

Want to be seen as a professional organization? This is not how to do it.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Luis R. Ramos

Then there are the non-CAP awards given by commanders and others at different levels as means to "compensate" those that worked hard but for x, y, or z reasons did not merit, in the eyes of the giver, the CAP official awards...

::)

I got two or three, one of them a "sweeper's award" for clearing personnel records of a previous squadron...

Well-meaning, but...

???
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Same goes for the "Of the Year Nominated" awards.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

I received a National Commander's Commendation Award for a tiny little thing I did as part of the Puerto Rico Hurricane Mission. I flew some folks to Tyndall AFB. My payment was the fun of flying into Tyndall and spending a few hours on the flight line watching the fighter jets coming and going. Wasn't expecting this huge 11x14 award in a large folder. What do people do with these things? I'm not the kind to ever frame anything like this, so its in the bottom of a drawer in my home office. After I'm gone the kids will see it and wonder what it is. LOL
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

^^^ Nice humblebrag.

You know full well "what people do with these things."

You say "thank you", wear the ribbon on your whites, and display the cert on your wall.
Displaying decorations for others to see isn't just about >you<, it shows others that they
may be able to serve in a more advanced way and will be appreciated for it.

Appreciate the ability to serve at a level many members will never get near, and don't denigrate
the award by insinuating you are somehow "above that sort of thing".

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on November 01, 2018, 07:45:35 PM

....Displaying decorations for others to see isn't just about >you<, it shows others that they

That part I agree with. Thanks.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

CAPCom

Quote from: Eclipse on November 01, 2018, 07:45:35 PM
^^^ Nice humblebrag.

You know full well "what people do with these things."

You say "thank you", wear the ribbon on your whites, and display the cert on your wall.
Displaying decorations for others to see isn't just about >you<, it shows others that they

Appreciate the ability to serve at a level many members will never get near, and don't denigrate
the award by insinuating you are somehow "above that sort of thing".

:-\  Good lord.

SarDragon

Wow, that turned sour quickly. If anyone has further constructive info to add, PM me, otherwise we're outta here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret