Attendance Log

Started by abysmal, March 16, 2005, 06:38:45 PM

abysmal

Is there a specific form that we are required to use to log weekly cadet attendance such as an ICS211 ?
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

Pylon

There is no official form required.  In fact, you are not required to log cadet attendance at all.  However, since a lot of the promotion and other things require that cadets be active members tracking attendance is a good idea.

You can track attendance any way you see fit.  You could use SIMS, the CAP computer database for tracking everything from cadet attendance to promotions and other data.  You could use simple sign-in sheets which you then keep in a folder on file.  You could do it any way that works for you.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

abysmal

Quote from: Pylon on March 16, 2005, 07:47:58 PM
There is no official form required.  In fact, you are not required to log cadet attendance at all.  However, since a lot of the promotion and other things require that cadets be active members tracking attendance is a good idea.

You can track attendance any way you see fit.  You could use SIMS, the CAP computer database for tracking everything from cadet attendance to promotions and other data.  You could use simple sign-in sheets which you then keep in a folder on file.  You could do it any way that works for you.  :)

Interesting.
I was told that we were "Required" to log all cadet attendance and that we HAD to use the ICS211 form.

Further, I did come across the SIMS system and REALLY liked it, but was told we are not authorized to use it as we are required to maintain a full set of paper documents, thus the SIMS system would not do us any good and would only duplicate everything we are required to do on paper.

I need to find the regulation that pertains to logging attendance and logging cadet data....

Pylon

Quote from: abysmal
Interesting.
I was told that we were "Required" to log all cadet attendance and that we HAD to use the ICS211 form.

Further, I did come across the SIMS system and REALLY liked it, but was told we are not authorized to use it as we are required to maintain a full set of paper documents, thus the SIMS system would not do us any good and would only duplicate everything we are required to do on paper.

I need to find the regulation that pertains to logging attendance and logging cadet data....

There is no regulation that pertains to logging attendance; that's why I can say that you're not required to do it.  If there were such requirements, however, they would appear in the CAPR 52-16 (Cadet Programs Management).  That only mentions attendance once, and that's below:

Quote from: CAPR 52-16, Section 2-1, b
b. Attendance. Regular and active participation in the local unit is required. Excessive, unexcused absences may  be cause for termination from CAP (see CAPR 35-3, Membership Termination). Any school-related activity is  considered an excused absence. Cadets are responsible for notifying the unit about school activities in advance. Schoolrelated absences do not excuse a cadet from needing to complete the achievement requirements. 

There is no other mention of attendance in the entire manual, nor does "ICS211" appear at all in the regulation on managing the cadet program.  Therefore, because there is no regulation or guidance on what to do, you can do it however you want.  The caveat emptor is, of course, if your commander instructs you that squadron OI is to record it on the ICS211, you have to do it that way.  If you think, though, that your commander is mistakenly informed that it's required by higher headquarters, you could choose to be brave and cordially inform him that it's not and that there is a choice on the matter.

Whomever you were speaking to was partially right about SIMS in that, certain things do require paper records, such as signing off personnel records for Cadet promotions or senior member specialty tracks.  However, listing them in SIMS is not at all redundant because SIMS will help you track cadet progression for individuals or the entire unit (something that's not at all easy to do when sifting through paper records), and it has a lot of other nice features.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

MAWG requires the use of MWF 2-2 for logging meeting and activity attentance... It's a copy of the now obsolete CAPF 103.

I like it because it requires people to include an up-to-date emergency contact for each sign in... It's nice to also keep a written record of who actually was present for said activity on said date.
Mike Johnston

abysmal

Quote from: MIKE on March 16, 2005, 09:16:29 PM
MAWG requires the use of MWF 2-2 for logging meeting and activity attentance... It's a copy of the now obsolete CAPF 103.

I like it because it requires people to include an up-to-date emergency contact for each sign in... It's nice to also keep a written record of who actually was present for said activity on said date.

So its possible that our logging requirement could be a WING related issue?

MIKE

Quote from: abysmal on March 16, 2005, 10:33:43 PM
Quote from: MIKE on March 16, 2005, 09:16:29 PM

So its possible that our logging requirement could be a WING related issue?

Quite possible... If I may say, using ICS211 makes a lot of sense to me... Particularly for ES operations as it would seem to be the equivalent ICS form of the former CAPF 103 which seemed intended specifically for ES operations.  Unfortunately I'm not as familiar with ICS and ICS forms as I would like to be.
Mike Johnston

Capt SSnyder

If you choose to use SIMS, and I highly recommend it, you will print out paper sign in sheets, either with all members together or seniors and cadets on separate sheets. There is also a sign in time and a sign out time if someone needs to leave early. It also shows membership expiration date to red flag someone due to renew. You can also be checking to see if the member has their ID and Form 60, emergency contact information.
Steven Snyder, Capt. CAP
Commander
Woodfield Composite Squadron
GLR-IL-075

abysmal

Quote from: Capt SSnyder on March 17, 2005, 01:41:24 PM
If you choose to use SIMS, and I highly recommend it, you will print out paper sign in sheets, either with all members together or seniors and cadets on separate sheets. There is also a sign in time and a sign out time if someone needs to leave early. It also shows membership expiration date to red flag someone due to renew. You can also be checking to see if the member has their ID and Form 60, emergency contact information.
I would very much like to start using the SIMS program.
But I suspect it might be a while before we are ready to venture down that road...

abysmal

Back on the topic of the required attendance log.

I was just told..

"It is a National CAP HQ requirement  With oversight by FEMA, a well known Federal Agency"

I am still looking for the pertinant regulation that stipulates this.
My commander is a pretty sharp well seasoned CAPer. I would be surprised if there is nothing out there to back this up.

arajca

About the only time FEMA would be able to exercise ANY oversight on CAP is if we are serving on a disaster under their direction. At that point signing in on an ICS211 is mandatory for everyone - not just CAP.

As far as the regs go for regular meetings, there is no requirement for using a specific sign-in form from National. My former squadron used a wing developed form and my current squadron uses the form out of SIMS. Some kind of sign in form is an excellent idea to help back up attendance numbers. We make sure to mention at least once per meeting for all members to sign in - and we tell them if they don't they weren't here.

abysmal

I will have to keep working on this as I am in NO position to challenge my squadron commander on this issue right now.

arajca

Make your life a littel easier - if your sqdn cc says to use the ICS 211, use it.

abysmal

Quote from: arajca on March 17, 2005, 05:40:13 PM
Make your life a littel easier - if your sqdn cc says to use the ICS 211, use it.

BINGO!

Learned that lesson years ago in the military.