TX Winter Encampment photos

Started by TX CAP Mom, December 29, 2017, 05:21:40 PM

TX CAP Mom

TX Wing Winter Encampment is underway and a photo site has been created to post photos daily. We have some great photographers! And as a mom new to CAP and a son at his first encampment, these photos are a blessing. Just thought I'd share in case anyone is curious:
https://civilairpatrol.smugmug.com/Southwest-Region/Texas-Wing/Encampment/2017-Winter

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: TX CAP Mom on December 29, 2017, 05:21:40 PM
We have some great photographers!

They should get some barbers down there, too  ;)

TX CAP Mom

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 29, 2017, 06:38:42 PM
Quote from: TX CAP Mom on December 29, 2017, 05:21:40 PM
We have some great photographers!

They should get some barbers down there, too  ;)
Agreed! My son is a bit obsessive when it comes to his uniform standards and I can just hear him cringing internally over some of the blousing or the way some cadets wear their covers. I can only hope that inspections will help some bring up their standards and help some relax a little bit. ;)

abdsp51

The PAO needs to do a better job of scrubbing their photos.  Last time I checked grade was not authorized on any cold weather headgear.

Ned

I have never found it helpful to nitpick photos for uniform and grooming violations in a public forum.  Mostly because the very people who would benefit from the uniform tips are unlikely to receive them.

I know that when I make mistakes on my uniform (just like everybody else), I appreciate someone touching my elbow and letting me know.

But I would feel badly if I learned that I was, instead, criticized on line by people who weren't there.

Let us concentrate on the very positive aspects depicted here - it looks like TXWG is running a high-speed activity where the cadets are getting a variety of activities in a military environment.

And not on uniform discrepancies.

Ned Lee
CP Guy

abdsp51

Quote from: Ned on December 29, 2017, 11:55:32 PM
I have never found it helpful to nitpick photos for uniform and grooming violations in a public forum.  Mostly because the very people who would benefit from the uniform tips are unlikely to receive them.

I know that when I make mistakes on my uniform (just like everybody else), I appreciate someone touching my elbow and letting me know.

But I would feel badly if I learned that I was, instead, criticized on line by people who weren't there.

Let us concentrate on the very positive aspects depicted here - it looks like TXWG is running a high-speed activity where the cadets are getting a variety of activities in a military environment.

Ned Lee
CP Guy

Sir,

We can go round and round on this.  If the encampment leadership is letting things such as the uniform standard slip what else are they letting slip?  We have had this debate numerous times.

I have no doubt that TXWG is running a great activity.  Standards ar still standards.  There is no allowance in 39-1 for wear of grade on a watch cap and the TXWG supplement for uniforms predominantly covers cords

The mix and match of headgear does not set a professional appearance.  If we let the small things slide then enforcing the bigger things become more difficult. 

Ned

Look, I get the whole "for the want of a nail, the shoe was lost" argument.

I am only suggesting that it is not particularly constructive or helpful to discuss it in some place where the people involved will be unlikely to see it.  That just kinda strikes me as unhelpful gossip.

If you are concerned, by all means share your concerns though the appropriate channels.  You could send an email to the TXWG DCP and say something like "I was looking at the photos of your terrific encampment, but I noticed that a cadet was wearing grade on a wool cap.  Which may be unauthorized.  This could be a good opportunity for some training with the cadet staff."

If you really think that violations of uniform or grooming regs at encampment warrants the attention of the Chain of Command, you could certainly drop a note to the TXWG commander.  Or the region commander.

Or something like that.

My point is that is literally does no good to point it out there; and potentially causes some harm in the sense that a minor transgression becomes recorded forever as long as the internet survives.

Ned Lee

OldGuy

Quote from: Ned on December 30, 2017, 12:52:36 AM
Look, I get the whole "for the want of a nail, the shoe was lost" argument.

I am only suggesting that it is not particularly constructive or helpful to discuss it in some place where the people involved will be unlikely to see it.  That just kinda strikes me as unhelpful gossip.

If you are concerned, by all means share your concerns though the appropriate channels.  You could send an email to the TXWG DCP and say something like "I was looking at the photos of your terrific encampment, but I noticed that a cadet was wearing grade on a wool cap.  Which may be unauthorized.  This could be a good opportunity for some training with the cadet staff."

If you really think that violations of uniform or grooming regs at encampment warrants the attention of the Chain of Command, you could certainly drop a note to the TXWG commander.  Or the region commander.

Or something like that.

My point is that is literally does no good to point it out there; and potentially causes some harm in the sense that a minor transgression becomes recorded forever as long as the internet survives.

Ned Lee

This is why so few are willing to be PAOs. You are spot on and the nit pickers are chasing good folks out.

abdsp51

Maybe if PAO's did their job and thoroughly and properly screened the pics for violations then it wouldn't be nit picked and critiqued.  Again if the small stuff like uniform violations are allowed to slide what else is going on that is not being seen.

If you can't be trusted with the small stuff why should you be trusted with the bigger things.

etodd

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 30, 2017, 02:06:58 AM
Maybe if PAO's did their job and thoroughly and properly screened the pics for violations then it wouldn't be nit picked and critiqued.  Again if the small stuff like uniform violations are allowed to slide what else is going on that is not being seen.

If you can't be trusted with the small stuff why should you be trusted with the bigger things.

Hopefully you don't ever attend encampments in my area. I'm not sure our Cadets could handle your being such a bundle of joy.

I agree with your basic point, but as others have said, there is a time a place for everything.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

abdsp51

Quote from: etodd on December 30, 2017, 02:37:39 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on December 30, 2017, 02:06:58 AM

Hopefully you don't ever attend encampments in my area. I'm not sure our Cadets could handle your being such a bundle of joy.

I agree with your basic point, but as others have said, there is a time a place for everything.

Depending on where that is I have no desire to go there. 

TX CAP Mom

This is why I posted the link in the first place. Details on what to expect at encampment are hard to find (Or they were for me anyway). My family is new to CAP, new to anything remotely military, and my cadet is only 13 and has never before been away from home. I posted the link because I am SO impressed by the quality of the program my son has the privilege of participating in, but also because it's a relief to be able to see him safe, warm, and having fun.

There are >200 cadets and staff there this week. There's bound to be some "oops" moments on certain things.

jeders

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 30, 2017, 12:17:27 AM
The mix and match of headgear does not set a professional appearance.  If we let the small things slide then enforcing the bigger things become more difficult.

Having worked with all of the encampment leadership many times, knowing how anal most of them are about uniforms (especially the encampment CC and CoC), and seeing as how that picture was taken on day 2 in the morning (SET instruction/inspection is always early on), my guess is that it was something that slipped through the cracks for only a moment and that the staff quickly fixed it; because they do care about standards. But thank you for being snarky on the internet instead of celebrating the good that is going on down in Bastrop.

Yes please.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

SarDragon

Nice batch of pictures.

Commentary noted, both pro and con.

We're outta here. Click.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret