I want to be a medic at the 2013-2014 KSWG Winter Encampment

Started by AACS Cadet21, July 19, 2013, 02:34:57 AM

AFCadet2011

Hey I was a cadet medic at the VA Wing Encampment this year and I can safely say that the people posting on this thread got the job exactly right. We mostly made sure the cadets stayed hydrated, checked for blisters and ticks (Virginia is full of them!), and the worst things we dealt with were heat injuries and twisted ankles. So, if you want to be a medic for the glory, I'd suggest looking somewhere else! That being said, I absolutely loved being a medic for a few reasons:

-You get quite a sense of satisfaction helping the cadets, even if you are only treating minor injuries. Plus, when cadets start to feel homesick/stressed, they usually tend to look to medics more for a friendly face, so in some ways, you can be very important to the cadets' experiences at encampment.

-You get a lot of respect from the cadets (and cadet staff!), and all of the basic cadets absolutely LOVE you, which is an awesome feeling. I can't tell you how many cadets told me that they wanted to be medics at next year's encampment. It's really cool to know that you may have inspired some cadets to return and seek staff positions. Also, you get to do some fun stuff, like squirting the cadets with spray bottles to keep them cool.

-If you're interested in medical stuff, this is probably an awesome job for you. I was only sorta-kinda of interested when I started this year's encampment, but I learned so much and found it so interesting that I started to look more and more at the idea of a medical career. The SM in charge of all the medics was a paramedic with decades of experience, and when we had downtime he would tell us medical factoids or talk to us about first aid and answer our questions. He also taught us to do some cool things, such as taking blood pressure (although that kind of stuff was more 'for fun', and wasn't really used by us practically).

All in all, as long as you know that as a cadet medic you won't be fireman-carrying injured cadets out of the woods in a blaze of glory, I'm sure you'll enjoy it and learn a lot about first aid.

Also, I don't know the requirements in your wing, but in VA cadet medics had to be at least 16 years old, and have at least standard first aid, CPR, and AED training. This training did not have to be done within CAP. You might want to look into the requirements ahead of time so you can make sure that you get the proper training done, and fit the requirements.

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: jstobbsvergara13 on July 29, 2013, 06:49:14 PM
Hey, I know this is a bit late but i was a "Health Services Officer" at the 2013 COWG encampment, its really good if you have first aide and CPR or any other qualifications to do with medical stuff.  I didn't see any actual qualification requirement on the website.  As for your actual application there is an example cover letter on the cap website if you just google CAP cover letter.  and the same with a resume.  There are positions there for cadet health services officer so put at the top of your resume that you want to be a part of the health services department. 

What flight were you in at COWG??

Golf, haha, remember me? I was the one with heat exhaustion, food poisoning, stomach flu, etc.  I sat with you and Sgt. Davis for a few meals, and spent a night in Med-Bay...(best sleep I got all week :D)

Chief McGrady played a prank on my flight sergeant, Chief Lammon by putting salt in her tea lol XD    I still think she had it coming... ;)

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: AFCadet2011 on July 30, 2013, 12:14:03 AM
Hey I was a cadet medic at the VA Wing Encampment this year and I can safely say that the people posting on this thread got the job exactly right. We mostly made sure the cadets stayed hydrated, checked for blisters and ticks (Virginia is full of them!), and the worst things we dealt with were heat injuries and twisted ankles. So, if you want to be a medic for the glory, I'd suggest looking somewhere else! That being said, I absolutely loved being a medic for a few reasons:

-You get quite a sense of satisfaction helping the cadets, even if you are only treating minor injuries. Plus, when cadets start to feel homesick/stressed, they usually tend to look to medics more for a friendly face, so in some ways, you can be very important to the cadets' experiences at encampment.

-You get a lot of respect from the cadets (and cadet staff!), and all of the basic cadets absolutely LOVE you, which is an awesome feeling. I can't tell you how many cadets told me that they wanted to be medics at next year's encampment. It's really cool to know that you may have inspired some cadets to return and seek staff positions. Also, you get to do some fun stuff, like squirting the cadets with spray bottles to keep them cool.

-If you're interested in medical stuff, this is probably an awesome job for you. I was only sorta-kinda of interested when I started this year's encampment, but I learned so much and found it so interesting that I started to look more and more at the idea of a medical career. The SM in charge of all the medics was a paramedic with decades of experience, and when we had downtime he would tell us medical factoids or talk to us about first aid and answer our questions. He also taught us to do some cool things, such as taking blood pressure (although that kind of stuff was more 'for fun', and wasn't really used by us practically).

All in all, as long as you know that as a cadet medic you won't be fireman-carrying injured cadets out of the woods in a blaze of glory, I'm sure you'll enjoy it and learn a lot about first aid.

Also, I don't know the requirements in your wing, but in VA cadet medics had to be at least 16 years old, and have at least standard first aid, CPR, and AED training. This training did not have to be done within CAP. You might want to look into the requirements ahead of time so you can make sure that you get the proper training done, and fit the requirements.

Thanks, this really helps, you described some of the reasons I want be a HSO. The medics at my encampment were some of the only people in the whole place that liked me, they are my friends and that's more than I can say for the other flight staff....

Huey Driver

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on July 30, 2013, 05:30:09 PM
Thanks, this really helps, you described some of the reasons I want be a HSO. The medics at my encampment were some of the only people in the whole place that liked me, they were(are) my friends and that's more than I can say for the other flight staff....

That's something unique to the medical staff. As a medic, you have respect just as a member of staff, but the cadet students shouldn't be afraid to talk to you. If a cadet needs medical attention, they need to feel comfortable enough to approach you and address the issue. Medics are generally good guys, and the position is a lot of fun at encampment.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Eclipse

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on July 30, 2013, 05:30:09 PMThanks, this really helps, you described some of the reasons I want be a HSO. The medics at my encampment were some of the only people in the whole place that liked me, they were(are) my friends and that's more than I can say for the other flight staff...

Then your time might be better spent on line staff, working out whatever your issues are/were instead of hiding on the medical health safety staff.

Support staffers tend to have less structure to their encampment schedule and a lot of downtime, they also tend to be viewed as "lucky" by the
basics students because at any given time when the flights are in formation, support staffers may not be, etc.  That gives you +1 in the cool
kids club, but won't help you with becoming a leader.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

I always said that once I was Stan eval my cadet days were on life support.

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: Eclipse on July 30, 2013, 09:25:41 PM
Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on July 30, 2013, 05:30:09 PMThanks, this really helps, you described some of the reasons I want be a HSO. The medics at my encampment were some of the only people in the whole place that liked me, they were(are) my friends and that's more than I can say for the other flight staff...

Then your time might be better spent on line staff, working out whatever your issues are/were instead of hiding on the medical health safety staff.

Support staffers tend to have less structure to their encampment schedule and a lot of downtime, they also tend to be viewed as "lucky" by the
basics students because at any given time then the flights are in formation, support staffers may not be, etc.  That gives you +1 in the cool
kids club, but won't help you with becoming a leader.

the only "issues" i ever had with staff were with my flight commander and flight sergeant, not the medics. I said:  ...were(are)...     because I haven't seen them since encampment.... but they'll always be friends in my opinion.

Eclipse

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on July 30, 2013, 10:33:13 PMthe only "issues" i ever had with staff were with my flight commander and flight sergeant, not the medics.

That was my point.

So now is the time for you to step up and do it "right" taking from the lessons of what your flight staff did that you didn't like.
If you miss that experience, you are robbing yourself of one of encampments most important lessons.

"That Others May Zoom"

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: Eclipse on July 30, 2013, 10:51:22 PM
Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on July 30, 2013, 10:33:13 PMthe only "issues" i ever had with staff were with my flight commander and flight sergeant, not the medics.

That was my point.

So now is the time for you to step up and do it "right" taking from the lessons of what your flight staff did that you didn't like.
If you miss that experience, you are robbing yourself of one of encampments most important lessons.

Exactly, before the end of the first day, i swore that if I was ever a flight sergeant/flight commander, I'd never treat my cadets the way they treated me. But I want to go as a HSO because I don't think I'll be a flight sergeant in AACS before then; And I want to have the experience before I try it at encampment...

Майор Хаткевич

Flight sgts are there to learn. No point in delaying it.

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: usafaux2004 on July 30, 2013, 11:08:58 PM

I know, but I want be a flight sgt in my home squadron before i am at encampment... that way I have some experience..

Eclipse

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on July 30, 2013, 11:28:23 PM

I know, but I want be a flight sgt in my home squadron before i am at encampment... that way I have some experience..

The experience of being a flight sergeant at a squadron is rarely the same as encampment.  In fact, it may be better to
do it there first as you will likely learn the correct way to do it the first time, your previous unfortunate experience
notwithstanding.

I suppose the question is begged - did you tell anyone of the issue?

"That Others May Zoom"

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: Eclipse on July 30, 2013, 11:53:46 PM
Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on July 30, 2013, 11:28:23 PM

The experience of being a flight sergeant at a squadron is rarely the same as encampment.  In fact, it may be better to
do it there first as you will likely learn the correct way to do it the first time, your previous unfortunate experience
notwithstanding.

I suppose the question is begged - did you tell anyone of the issue?

Well, I told my roommate and the chaplain.... My parents would never believe me and there's really nothing anyone can do about it... It's not that big a deal really, I mean, there are a lot of people who hate me... *sigh*

Eclipse

While your roommate would have no say in the matter, it's unfortunate the Chaplain did not act as he was supposed to
and report it up the chain.

For future reference, the proper path would have been either to your next in line on the cadet flight staff, or, barring
action, your tac officer(s).  No cadet should be in any position to feel others "hate" him.

At this point, all you can do is learn and move on.

"That Others May Zoom"

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: Eclipse on July 31, 2013, 01:07:13 AM
While your roommate would have no say in the matter, it's unfortunate the Chaplain did not act as he was supposed to
and report it up the chain.

For future reference, the proper path would have been either to your next in line on the cadet flight staff, or, barring
action, your tac officer(s).  No cadet should be in any position to feel others "hate" him.

At this point, all you can do is learn and move on.

yup... although, I would not blame the chaplain in this matter, because I'm not sure if he took me seriously.... *sigh* anyway, what's done is done. Like you said, I've learned, and will move on... but on the bright side i now know how NOT to lead basics....

Critical AOA

Telling a chaplain would seem pointless.  Speak to your chain of command regarding your goals and aspirations in CAP.  They are the ones who can help you make it happen.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Eclipse

The issue with far too many Chaplains is that they confuse their faith's rules of anonymity with CAPs regs about immediate reporting.

I've had to deal with far too many situations where a Chaplain was told about something which he was supposed to report,
only for it to come out through a different channel later.

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

And there is a possibility for harm to occur in the meanwhile.  Not so good.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

AACS Cadet21

Eclipse

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on August 01, 2013, 02:16:29 AM
....... well, its over now....

Yes, for you, but what about other cadets and going forward?

That flight staff was never corrected, which means their behavior will likely propagate to those who were at the encampment,
as well as their home squadrons.   One cadet, you, has disengaged from the standard encampment leadership progression in
favor of a support role that won't help you much in CAP, and how many other cadets simply won't come back, or may have been
negatively influenced by the experience?

These things don't occur in a vacuum, and this is why CAP leaders are supposed to make it clear that this kind of thing is not tolerated.

Don't get me wrong, without all the facts, this could well be a case where the proper intensity level was simply not well received by
you, it wouldn't be the first time, but then in that case, the conversation would switch to your understanding.  Either way,
someone gets corrected, the proper people are aware, somebody(s) learns something, which is the point of the encampment
experience to start with.

I'm not necessarily suggesting you start lighting up emails and making complaints, though that would certainly still be your right,
the practical reality is that the more time and distance from a problem, the less able anyone can fix things, but as general advice to
those who will encounter this in the future, the time to say something is >now<.

"That Others May Zoom"