I'm now called sergeant bambi killer

Started by Extremepredjudice, April 30, 2012, 06:07:15 AM

Extremepredjudice

Ok, so this weekend, my squadron had a joint FTX with 2 other squadrons. The SET divided everyone up into 4ish man teams, each with an experienced leader. I was team 1 leader...

The SET had setup a practice hasty and thorough search... After we completed our thorough search, we moved to the hasty search. The hasty search course had 8 clues (flagging tape) on it.

While doing this, I spotted a piece of flagging tape slightly behind us, so I jogged back to go get it, and I decided to jump this low lying bush. (Only because I thought I could see through it, and didn't see anything that could be a safety hazard) While in mid air, a fawn stood up and I punted it about 5 feet... The fawn ran away as fast as it could after that.

The SAREx I attended before the FTX, I climbed into a dumpster voluntarily. It seems I "am that one cadet" that does the crazy/weird stuff.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

ol'fido

That's nothing. We had one cadet BITD who punched a deer. After, that "Mongo" moment, we had a cadet at another activity who fell asleep in a pasture during "night ops" who got stepped on by a cow.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Major Lord

I surprised a small buck ( California Coastal Deer are the oompa loompas of the dear world- they are about the size of a fair sized Labrador) one dark night while taking a long walk in the woods, and had him cornered. He ran right past me, hit me with a antler tip, and brushed up against me while I struggled to maintain control of my bowels.....The only damage besides a slightly torn shirt was that both of us used up a few of our lifetime allotment of heartbeats! I cornered an Opossum accidentally one night and it made a sound I did not know they could make! Right out of a Wes Craven film. He went to Possum heaven ( Sorry you guys in Louisiana, I did not throw him in the ice chest- I understand they taste just like Armadillo)

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

jks19714

Quote from: Major Lord on April 30, 2012, 02:12:52 PM
...- I understand they taste just like Armadillo)

Major Lord

You mean that you found a species that doesn't "taste like chicken"?  :o

My Father pulled that on me once when I was little to get me to try tuna fish off the bar-b-q. 

It only worked once!

john
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

johnnyb47

I was chased into my tent deep in the woods at 0200 by a Velociraptor duing our squadron's bivouac last fall.
In reality it was probably just a screech owl and we were technically on the back lot of a Girl Scout campground but it scared the heck out of me all the same.
The important thing is that I survived and it's become a legendary story.
:)
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: johnnyb47 on April 30, 2012, 02:25:12 PM
I was chased into my tent deep in the woods at 0200 by a Velociraptor duing our squadron's bivouac last fall.
In reality it was probably just a screech owl and we were technically on the back lot of a Girl Scout campground but it scared the heck out of me all the same.
The important thing is that I survived and it's become a legendary story.
Wow, I think I would have done my best to take that one to the grave...

I had a bit of a run in with a deer as a cadet. On a micro FTX we were learning suble hints at activity in the woods... Dumb tracker training really, so we decided to track some deer... We found them, you could tell they had been laying in a patch of shrubbery (*NI*), but before we got close to them at all they were all up and they decided it was best to use their superior intellect on us unwitting 14 and 15 year olds and they ran towards us... At the ripe old age of 14 I thought there must have been a hindered... There were three... But it still felt like a massive stampede with them running right through us.

johnnyb47

QuoteWow, I think I would have done my best to take that one to the grave...
Humiliating myself for the sake of 'funny' has never been an issue with me.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

CAP4117

Hey, owls are terrifying IMHO. I would have been right there with you man!  ;D

a2capt

CAP4117

Thanks, a2capt, I'm going to have nightmares now!  ;D

Extremepredjudice

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Eclipse

Fun's fun, but you're not exactly doing your fellow cadets a service in regards to shenanigans on ES missions.

If I had a cadet who was leaping bushes and hiding in dumpsters, I would not be inclined to invite them on missions and training,
as their decision making abilities are somewhat suspect.  A broken ankle 10 miles from the ICP, or a concussion from a dumpster lid
won't tend to increase mission effectiveness.

You may wind up serving as an example in a case study, though.  That bush you "though" you could see through, could just have easily hidden
a huge hole, something sharp and pointy, or a monster puddle.

Also, we no longer perform "hasty" searches, they are referred to as "expeditious searches".

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Quotehiding in dumpsters
We were searching for the ELT. I decided we couldn't properly search the dumpster by standing outside of it, so I jumped it. Woodsy was there... I was legitimately searching for the beacon.

That is part of my yard. I walk through that every day. I can track animals (and humans) quite well. I live across the street from 26k acres of forest.

I can judge whether or not it is safe for me to jump over a low lying bush. Besides, I cleared the bush easily, and landed past the bush. I had already checked that area past it, to make sure I wouldn't land on anything

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Eclipse

No one with common sense would get into a dumspter to check it - they would take the contents out of the dumpster.

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 30, 2012, 10:28:02 PM
I can judge whether or not it is safe for me to jump over a low lying bush.

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 30, 2012, 10:28:02 PMI had already checked that area past it, to make sure I wouldn't land on anything

Your story disagrees.

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 30, 2012, 06:07:15 AMWhile in mid air, a fawn stood up and I punted it about 5 feet...

You could have just as easily been tossed backwards on your neck, been paralyzed permanently or died hitting your head.  Do what you will
on your own time in your own woods, but don't take unnecessary risks on CAP time.

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

I kicked something, but I didn't land on it.

The impact didn't affect my flight path.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 30, 2012, 11:04:57 PM

This time.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 30, 2012, 11:14:36 PM

This time.
The bush was MAYBE a foot high, and the way I jumped over, MAYBE a foot long. It was hardly more than a normal running stride.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 30, 2012, 11:18:02 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 30, 2012, 11:14:36 PM

This time.
The bush was MAYBE a foot high, and the way I jumped over, MAYBE a foot long. It was hardly more than a normal running stride.

But you didn't see the Doe? The few that I've run into weren't that small...

Major Lord

Quote from: Eclipse on April 30, 2012, 10:51:31 PM
No one with common sense would get into a dumspter to check it - they would take the contents out of the dumpster.

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 30, 2012, 10:28:02 PM
I can judge whether or not it is safe for me to jump over a low lying bush.

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 30, 2012, 10:28:02 PMI had already checked that area past it, to make sure I wouldn't land on anything

Your story disagrees.

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 30, 2012, 06:07:15 AMWhile in mid air, a fawn stood up and I punted it about 5 feet...

You could have just as easily been tossed backwards on your neck, been paralyzed permanently or died hitting your head.  Do what you will
on your own time in your own woods, but don't take unnecessary risks on CAP time.

Next time I have to go into the ghetto to search for an ELT, I will just set the place on fire and see if the signal stops......cause that would be the safe thing to do.....Really? you have never searched a commercial dumpster? You just haven't lived!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Eclipse

Quote from: Major Lord on April 30, 2012, 11:39:39 PM
Next time I have to go into the ghetto to search for an ELT, I will just set the place on fire and see if the signal stops......cause that would be the safe thing to do.....Really? you have never searched a commercial dumpster? You just haven't lived!

Searched one?

Yes.  Got into one?  No.

Portlandia Dumpster Divers clip

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Sir, the dumpster in question was angled (4ish feet to 6ish feet).

We couldn't pull all the stuff out to properly search the back of the dumpster.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

titanII

No longer active on CAP talk

NIN

Early 1990s, MI Wing SAR Academy, we had a C/Capt who had run into town (5-6 miles away) to call his parents. He took another cadet officer along with him in his quite stylish Chevette.

Another officer and I were at the SAR Academy to instruct, not to participate, so we were staying at my mom's house 12-15 miles away. Hot showers, etc (IMHO, the *best* way to do SAR Academy, but I digress)  We were getting ready to head out for the night and hanging with the senior staff while the students were clearing the camp area of debris and such.

We're sitting in the staff tent shooting the breeze with the commander of the school and the remainder of the staff when the C/Capt pokes his head into the senior tent (mind you: just his head thru the tent flap, nothing else. This disembodied head appears in the doorway.. I almost jumped about 4 ft in the air)

"Uhhh, sir?  I, uh, I hit a deer."

One of the officers, not realizing it was the C/Capt who had driven into town, says "What, with a stick of something?"

"Uh, no sir. My car."

It was like someone ran 110v thru all of us as we jumped to our feet. "What? Where?"

"Out on the road, sir, I think I hurt it pretty bad."

The entire senior staff all look at each other. "Well, hell, I think we gotta put it out of its misery!"

It was a headlong dash for just about every member of the senior staff to get to vehicles and head out to the collision site.   The C/Capt had left the other cadet officer with the deer while he drove back to camp to let someone know.

We all roar up to the site of the collision and the other cadet is standing there by the side of the road in his jungle fatigues, no deer in sight.

"Where is it?"

The cadet shrugs his shoulders "I dunno, sir! It just got up on two busted hind legs and hopped away.."

We all spread out thru the woods on that side of the road, but never did spot the deer. We figured he hopped away to some low-lying spot in the swamp nearby to lay down and die.

But I guarantee we were all thinking about some fresh venison steaks for dinner that night. :)

(And the damage to the cadet's car? The recessed turn-signal light on his bumper was pushed in.  10 seconds of pushing it from the back side of the bumper and it was right back in the same spot it was before the collision)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Major Lord

Now if your cadets had only jumped into the future and taken the Cadet Survival School, they would know how to administer the Coup de gras and it could have been venison for everyone!

Major Lord

NIN

Quote from: Major Lord on May 01, 2012, 02:10:40 AM
Now if your cadets had only jumped into the future and taken the Cadet Survival School, they would know how to administer the Coup de gras and it could have been venison for everyone!

Major Lord

Lets just say that there were enough people able to administer, if you know what I mean.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

EP, attempting to rationalize your behaviour doesn't make it any less foolish. One of the last things a Darwin Award recipient has been known to say is, "Hey, watch this!"
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Nathan

Quote from: SarDragon on May 01, 2012, 06:10:15 AM
EP, attempting to rationalize your behaviour doesn't make it any less foolish. One of the last things a Darwin Award recipient has been known to say is, "Hey, watch this!"

Shoulda done ORM on leaping over a small bush in the middle of the woods.

I'm going to add "possibility of field-goal kicking a baby deer" to the possible hazards we need to consider.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Struts

Well we know what happened to you. But what happened to the deer?

Extremepredjudice

It flew 5ish feet and ran as fast as possible away

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor