FO, TFO, SFO, and SM

Started by DarthAggie, November 16, 2011, 05:59:15 PM

SARDOC

Quote from: DarthAggie on November 16, 2011, 08:33:24 PM
But what would a Senior Member wear, who's over the age of 21, before receiving 2LT (for that 6 month period)?

Quote from: Eclipse on November 16, 2011, 08:26:03 PM
Since then, misinformed commanders have been telling new members they should wear blank epaulet sleeves until they attain
a CAP grade appointment.

SMWOG do not wear anything on their epaulets - that's why they wear the cutouts on their collars (blues).

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: DarthAggie on November 16, 2011, 08:33:24 PM
OK.

I see that.

But what would a Senior Member wear, who's over the age of 21, before receiving 2LT (for that 6 month period)?

SMWOG do not wear anything on their epaulets - that's why they wear the cutouts on their collars (blues).

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Salty on November 16, 2011, 06:24:46 PM
Bah, you're not a SM until you get the butter bars.

:P

I never wore a butter bar...:/

DarthAggie

Is there a pic of these cutouts...?

coudano

Salty

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 16, 2011, 08:38:39 PM
Quote from: Salty on November 16, 2011, 06:24:46 PM
Bah, you're not a SM until you get the butter bars.

I never wore a butter bar...:/

Neither have I so far.

CAP Cadet 1989-1994
CAP Senior Member 1994-1995, 2011-current
USAF Aeromedical Technician 1994-1998

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Metal CAP cutouts on blues, white/greys, and embroidered CAP on BDUs and BBDUs.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Spaceman3750

SARDOC

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on November 16, 2011, 09:31:46 PM
Aaaand uniform thread ::)

Well in all fairness it is under the Uniform's and Awards heading.  Shouldn't really be surprised.

Eclipse

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 16, 2011, 09:30:00 PM

Cutouts are never worn on the white / grays.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Sapper168

Quote from: Eclipse on November 16, 2011, 10:04:02 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on November 16, 2011, 09:30:00 PM

Cutouts are never worn on the white / grays.

Both of Figure 4.2 and Table 6.1 in the 39-1 state that grade is displayed on the gray epaulet sleeve for the white aviator uniform. It doesnt differentiate for senior members without grade in any of the notes.  So the way i read this is that the grey sleeve without any embroidered rank, just the CAP letters, would be worn on the White Aviator shirt by a SM w/o Grade.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

SarDragon

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, Fig 4-22. Grade Insignia: Gray CAP epaulet sleeves displaying grade insignia.

They have no grade; they don't need an epaulet sleeve.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, Para 6-1Cadet and senior member officer grade insignia will be worn on those uniform items listed in Table 6-1.

A member designated as an SM is not an officer, and therefore needs no epaulet sleeve.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

adamblank

My only issue in the whole FO business is that their grade is not noted on eServices.  To me that is unacceptable since all other grades to include SM NCOs are.
Adam Brandao

Spaceman3750

Quote from: adamblank on November 17, 2011, 07:22:49 AM
My only issue in the whole FO business is that their grade is not noted on eServices.  To me that is unacceptable since all other grades to include SM NCOs are.

Yeah, that's always bugged me too. Even C/Amn is tracked, which wasn't the case WIWAC.

lordmonar

Okay...now let's put another twist in this little debate.

Here is my take of CAP rank.

Cadets
SM (with out grade)
CAP NCOs
FO
TFO
SFO
2d Lt
1st Lt
Capt
Maj
Lt Col
Col
B Gen
M Gen
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SARDOC

Quote from: adamblank on November 17, 2011, 07:22:49 AM

I also agree.  I don't see what is so hard about adding another data entry field in eServices.  It would a great step in moving towards making all our records online.

johnnyb47

Quote from: lordmonar on November 17, 2011, 03:18:53 PM
Okay...now let's put another twist in this little debate.

Here is my take of CAP rank.

Cadets
SM (with out grade)
CAP NCOs
FO
TFO
SFO
2d Lt
1st Lt
Capt
Maj
Lt Col
Col
B Gen
M Gen

When I first joined, though they called me sir or Senior Member Bowers (I actually preferred the latter at the time) I actually took a LOT of direction from cadets. I figured anyone who had put several years into the program, wore a uniform better than most AD Service Men or Women that I know and was polite and kind with their "suggestions" probably had a lot to teach me. That said I figured SMWOG ranked right up there with MAGGOT or CONSCIENTIOUS OBSERVER (see what I did there? heh) and I didn't say much other than "don't trip over that rock" for my first 6 months. :)

That is of course an opinion based partially on my lack of prior service. I just figured if I wanted the respect of the cadets later I needed to do my best to show them the respect they are due as early on as possible.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us