My Utility Uniform Proposal

Started by Stonewall, December 29, 2007, 03:23:59 PM

Which utility/field uniform should CAP have?

Stonewall's option for everyone
72 (48%)
Keep BDUs & BBDUs
31 (20.7%)
Hold out for ABUs
47 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Stonewall

Got bored.  "BUMP".

Any new folks out there wish to comment?
Serving since 1987.

Redbird Leader

Commander, Redbird Cadet Sqdn (MO-801)
Captain, USAF (Ret)
Prior, never ex, cadet (Mitchell unnumbered Jul 71)

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

stillamarine

Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

RogueLeader

Quote from: stillamarine on February 01, 2008, 02:56:36 AM
Quote from: RogueLeader on February 01, 2008, 02:51:24 AM
Quote from: Redbird Leader on February 01, 2008, 02:46:17 AM
Okay,  I like the KBU.   

Sorry, just can't get into it.

Try a bigger size......... >:D

Yeah, too many donuts. . .  ::)

I like to think forward , not backward
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

smj58501

Folks-

It really is ok for a uniform topic to die, even if it was a good one. Its just part of the circle of life.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

RogueLeader

Quote from: smj58501 on February 01, 2008, 05:47:53 AM
Folks-

It really is ok for a uniform topic to die, even if it was a good one. Its just part of the circle of life.

You are trying to censor me.  You can't do that to me!!!
And violate the unwritten rules about uniform threads on CapTalk????
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ddelaney103

I'm still amazed that I'm the only one who posted (and voted for) an alternate idea.

Stonewall

Quote from: ddelaney103 on February 01, 2008, 03:32:08 PM
I'm still amazed that I'm the only one who posted (and voted for) an alternate idea.

Technically, I proposed an alternate idea.  Just so happens, 51.3% of folks voted for that same alternate idea.  ;D
Serving since 1987.

ddelaney103

Quote from: Stonewall on February 01, 2008, 05:59:18 PM

Technically, I proposed an alternate idea.  Just so happens, 51.3% of folks voted for that same alternate idea.  ;D

Nope, it's your poll, so you're officially the Establishment.

"The Man" is always keeping us down...

SARMedTech

There have been a lot of "single uniform" conspiracies but the KBU is the first one that makes any sense: while it may be retro, it is retro in color only. I like the Tru-Spec TRU Kirt is using for the base of the uniform (trying to get IMERT to go to it in khaki) and it is a much more suitable all-purpose, all member uniform than the BBDU. I know when I see a bunch of more "rotund" CAPsters in BBDUs, it looks like a retirement reunion for a SWAT team.  Also, there is no logical way that the USAF could object to it...oh wait, there i go again inserting logic into military matters.

LONG LIVE THE KBU!  LONG LIVE STONEWALL!!!
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Stonewall

Quote from: SARMedTech on February 02, 2008, 08:41:28 AM
LONG LIVE THE KBU!  LONG LIVE STONEWALL!!!

That's a little out of control.
Serving since 1987.

afgeo4

Quote from: ddelaney103 on February 01, 2008, 07:26:54 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on February 01, 2008, 05:59:18 PM

Nope, it's your poll, so you're officially the Establishment.

"The Man" is always keeping us down...

Not to burst your bubble, but I don't see any other ideas on the table and still you only got 51.3% of the votes.
GEORGE LURYE

Stonewall

Quote from: afgeo4 on February 02, 2008, 10:02:07 PMNot to burst your bubble, but I don't see any other ideas on the table and still you only got 51.3% of the votes.

Wow, aren't you the bearer of bad news.  You probably couldn't wait to post that huh?

Here's the deal.  First, it wasn't my idea vs other ideas, it was a poll which compared my idea against other options that are already out there.

No body asked for my input, ideas or thoughts.  It's called being proactive; brainstorming.  It's me understanding that there is a necessary change coming down the pike and instead of waiting for it to hit us and have nothing on the table, I decided, on my own accord, to offer an idea.  Who gives a rat's ass if it ever ends up on the bargaining table.  I guess I can just sit here and do nothing.  Let others put their two cents in and then [censored] about it after not at least offering something.

My idea beat out 3 (really 2) other options combined.  Goes to show, of the 80 folks that voted, 41 (that's more than half) would opt for my idea versus sticking with BDUs/BBDUs or changing totally to ABUs in an effort for all of us to be in one utility uniform.
Serving since 1987.

SSgt Rudin

I was driving home from wing conference and thought of something: Since the USAF is switching to ABUs after the phase out date BDUs will no longer be a USAF style uniform and everyone would be permitted to wear it. Just a thought....
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

Stonewall

Quote from: SSgt Rudin on February 04, 2008, 02:29:55 AM
I was driving home from wing conference and thought of something: Since the USAF is switching to ABUs after the phase out date BDUs will no longer be a USAF style uniform and everyone would be permitted to wear it. Just a thought....

Excellent thought...and has been mentioned a couple times in this discussion.  I would totally go for it, truly I would.  But I have long said the BDUs, although good looking and somewhat functional, I'd propose (as I did in this thread) a more functional uniform for field work since we'll basically be forced to make a change in the near future when the AF loses the BDU completely. 

My opinion, unlike others out there, the utility uniform is not a garrison or parade uniform.  It's a field uniform that is often the "duty" uniform and is used for office and field work alike.  No need for starch, ironing or spit-shining boots.  My humble opinion, but willing to go to an all-BDU auxiliary if it puts us in one utility uniform.
Serving since 1987.

PHall

Quote from: SSgt Rudin on February 04, 2008, 02:29:55 AM

And where to you plan to get those BDU's? If you look at the shelves in most Clothing Sales stores you see a lot of empty ones where the BDU's are supposed to be.

Yeah, going to an "outside" source is an option, an expensive option, but it is an option.
And making BDU's a CAP Distinctive Uniform will probably do nothing but drive up the cost even more.

Stonewall

Quote from: PHall on February 04, 2008, 02:54:26 AMAnd where to you plan to get those BDU's? If you look at the shelves in most Clothing Sales stores you see a lot of empty ones where the BDU's are supposed to be.

Yeah, going to an "outside" source is an option, an expensive option, but it is an option.
And making BDU's a CAP Distinctive Uniform will probably do nothing but drive up the cost even more.

Actually, the prices of BDUs from companies like Proper and Tru-Spec make BDUs to military specifications and are generally under $30.

See, these days, all these companies are making BDU and ACU style uniforms in all patterns or just solid colors.  Like my proposal to use Tru-Spec OD TRUs (now known as the KBU), they're the same exact thing as the ARMY ACU but plain OD green.  As long as groups (LE, EMS, Military) are using the physical design, the companies will continue to make them in whatever color scheme you need.

Serving since 1987.

RiverAux

They won't be any more expensive or less widely available than the option proposed in this thread.