Senior Members and the Service Cap

Started by JayT, November 24, 2007, 02:34:09 AM

JohnKachenmeister

I follow the Army rule:

service uniform jacket... service cap.

service uniform without jacket... flight cap.

service uniform with jacket but in travel status or TDY... flight cap.
Another former CAP officer

Eclipse

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 24, 2007, 03:17:15 PM
I follow the Army rule:

service uniform jacket... service cap.

service uniform without jacket... flight cap.

service uniform with jacket but in travel status or TDY... flight cap.

That sounds reasonable - the nice thing about the wheel cap is it makes a much better rain hat (with a rain cover) than the flight cap.

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: PHall on November 24, 2007, 04:50:46 AM
That picture is probably from circa 2004 or so. Being that he is assigned to the White House Military Office (Badge on left pocket), you can be assured that his uniform is correct.

You mean his right pocket... his left pocket has the skycop duty badge.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

jimmydeanno

I NEVER wear one - my head isn't the right shape for them - what can I say...I'm deformed.

THe only CAP members I've ever seen wear them are new Mitchell Cadets...once you get your Earhart, you realize that it isn't really as cool as you thought it was and prefer to show the bling on the flight cap...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

PHall

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on November 24, 2007, 03:39:36 PM
That picture is probably from circa 2004 or so. Being that he is assigned to the White House Military Office (Badge on left pocket), you can be assured that his uniform is correct.

Okay, I fixed it.

brasda91

Quote from: jeders on November 24, 2007, 04:02:33 AM
I wear the service cap when I wear the service coat because I think that the flight cap just looks a little goofy with the jacket.

Likewise, I never wear the service cap without the jacket ..This means that I only wear the service cap 2 or 3 times a year.

That's exactly what I do.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: PHall on November 24, 2007, 04:04:54 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on November 24, 2007, 03:39:36 PM

Okay, I fixed it.

No problem there...  ;D
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

O-Rex

I have one that I wear with full blues, IF it's an outdoor event.  I'm not going to bring a service cap to a indoor event, just to worry about where to keep the darn thing, or if it will get soiled, stolen, etc.

In the 70's an 80's the Army, USAF and USMC pretty much stopped issuing the service cap to enlisted: cost saving as well as a pain to travel with.  They were authorized, just not widely used.

When I was in the Army, I wanted one, but didn't get one because nobody really wore them.

I've seen a recent resurgence of service green "Barracks Caps" work by enlisted Marines, though.  I've seen Airmen wear them, on occasion.  Of course, the Army has gone all-beret (for the time being) While Officers still wear dress-blue service caps, I understand that the green ones are for Army Band and Old Guard only.

Sevice caps look kinda cool, but they are a royal pain to lug around when you are not actually wearing them.

MIKE

Supposedly with the ASU service caps will be worn by NCOs and above with SPC and below in beanie last I saw.

For me personally the service cap is a pain in the ass, so I wear the flight/garrison cap because I can stow it under my belt.  Though I would prefer a beret to the flight cap as universal headgear... I have Euro tendencies.  ;D

Wore a service cap WIWAC, but now it seems a bit overdressed in a CAP context and out of place in most situations.
Mike Johnston

Major Lord

"Though I would prefer a beret to the flight cap as universal headgear... I have Euro tendencies.  ;D"

Well, if you get one, I will take a box of the thin mints and two boxes of the peanut butter cookies! Do you really want to wear the hat of he people that invented surrender?

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

MIKE

Where do you think the flight cap originated from anyway?
Mike Johnston

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Major Lord on November 24, 2007, 08:50:45 PM
"Though I would prefer a beret to the flight cap as universal headgear... I have Euro tendencies.  ;D"

Well, if you get one, I will take a box of the thin mints and two boxes of the peanut butter cookies! Do you really want to wear the hat of he people that invented surrender?

Well... the Froggies may not have invented surrender, but they've taken collaboration with the enemy when it suits them to a fine art! ;D

The flight cap was also worn in WWII by the RAF and the Luftwaffe.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

RiverAux

QuoteI think that the flight cap just looks a little goofy with the jacket
I agree with you, but wear it anyway....

flyerthom

Quote from: SoCalCAPOfficer on November 24, 2007, 02:50:04 AM
Quote from: MIKE on November 24, 2007, 02:40:00 AM
You must have missed all those threads were we made fun of service caps.  The 1940s have come and gone.

Thats too bad, I liked the 1940's. Lets do it again.

The music was so much better. Ah well at least we've got Brian Setzer
TC

Chappie

I only wear the service cap when I am attending a Memorial Service or some other formal observance.  I have seen officers at active AFB in full service dress wearing the flight caps and take my cue from them.  They tend to wear the f&d's in more formal settings.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Dad2-4

Quote from: MIKE on November 24, 2007, 08:57:01 PM
Where do you think the flight cap originated from anyway?
From the Army's garrison cap, which mimicked the Scottish glengary. The glengary, in turn, originated from the Scottish tam, or bonnet, similar in some ways to a beret.

JohnKachenmeister

That's true.

Rogers Rangers wore a modification of the Scottish cap, which resembled a garrison cap.

And that was when we (as then-loyal subjects of the Crown) were at war with France.
Another former CAP officer

NAYBOR

I wear my service cap ONLY when I wear the service coat.  Not too often, but I DO wear it.

SAR-EMT1

According to the AFI- all field grade officers must own one and wear it when in Service Dress.

Does CAP REQUIRE this of field grade officers?
This is one area where we should Mirror-Image our Parent Service. IMHO
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Eclipse

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on November 25, 2007, 09:26:31 PM
According to the AFI- all field grade officers must own one and wear it when in Service Dress.

Does CAP REQUIRE this of field grade officers?
This is one area where we should Mirror-Image our Parent Service. IMHO

I agree, but no they don't.

"That Others May Zoom"