Senior Members and the Service Cap

Started by JayT, November 24, 2007, 02:34:09 AM

JayT

Just curious, how many SM's here wear the service dress cap? In my area, it seems its more of a cadet thing.

Minor capitalization topic title - MIKE
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Tubacap

I try to avoid.  I only use it for funerals when I play taps.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

stillamarine

I know one that does....(Sparky!). I personally wish to wear one but the flight cap was much cheaper for me at the time. One day soon I hope! (Anyone with a size 7 or so for donation.....LOL)
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

MIKE

You must have missed all those threads were we made fun of service caps.  The 1940s have come and gone.
Mike Johnston

stillamarine

No, you should see the hat I have to wear when I wear a uniform at work. Personally I think that the service cap looks good, if worn with a sharp uniform. I personally am not that big of a fan of the flight cap, unless it's worn with a flight suit, or during informal situations
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

SoCalCAPOfficer

Quote from: MIKE on November 24, 2007, 02:40:00 AM
You must have missed all those threads were we made fun of service caps.  The 1940s have come and gone.

Thats too bad, I liked the 1940's. Lets do it again.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

Eclipse

I wear (wore) it almost all the time.  It looks much more professional, and since the majority of my
time is spent on a Navy base, fits right in with the gang - the chiefs, RDC, and of course the officers all wear them up here.

Unfortunately the I can no longer wear the one I have because it has a plain bill, and haven't ordered the new one.

Most of the members up my way in positions of command prefer the wheel cap.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Don't think I've ever seen anyone in CAP wear one.  My CG Aux buddies wear their version all the time, but I don't think they have a flight-cap type option.  I'm not going to spend the money to buy one.  How much are they running for now anyway?

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on November 24, 2007, 02:59:42 AM
Don't think I've ever seen anyone in CAP wear one.  My CG Aux buddies wear their version all the time, but I don't think they have a flight-cap type option.  I'm not going to spend the money to buy one.  How much are they running for now anyway?

I bought the one I wore for 4 years at the local surplus store, looking brand new, for $15.

New with F&D's runs about $65.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Is this right?

http://tinyurl.com/394s5k

The ebay description says its for a USAF 4-star chief of staff.  Looks like a mistake to me.

I know the F&D's are for field grade or above, but was unaware there were more for generals.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Quote from: RiverAux on November 24, 2007, 02:59:42 AMMy CG Aux buddies wear their version all the time, but I don't think they have a flight-cap type option.  I'm not going to spend the money to buy one.  How much are they running for now anyway?

There is a garrison cap... which I wear, but there are some uniform combos that require the combination cap.  Dinner dress etc.

As far as the service cap pis above... Seen pocs of them being worn before Lemay etc.  I think it is an AF CoS thing, but I didn't see any specifics in AFI 36-2903... but that doesn't mean it's not authorized.
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on November 24, 2007, 03:05:52 AM
The ebay description says its for a USAF 4-star chief of staff.  Looks like a mistake to me.

I know the F&D's are for field grade or above, but was unaware there were more for generals.

The general grades have additional F&D. AFI 36-2903 doesn't have anything about them on the hat band or anything special for Chief of Staff, but generals are permitted some latitude with uniforms. Some like additional bling, others wear the same thing everyone else does.

Major Carrales

Here it is in action.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

jeders

I wear the service cap when I wear the service coat because I think that the flight cap just looks a little goofy with the jacket. Likewise, I never wear the service cap without the jacket like i see some people do. Again that just looks goofy. This means that I only wear the service cap 2 or 3 times a year.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RogueLeader

I have, and wear, both.  Most of the time, I wear the Flight Cap, but for more "important" meetings- I prefer to wear the Service Cap.  A brand new Service Cap is about $35.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

IceNine

Quote from: Eclipse on November 24, 2007, 03:05:52 AM
Is this right?

http://tinyurl.com/394s5k

While this one's cool,

Notice there are 3 farts and darts per side on that cap?

You need the one with only 2 per side, 3 is for generals just like the solid silver braid on the flight cap
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Cobra1597

Never worn one. I wanted to when I became a cadet officer since most of the others in MAWG do, but I couldn't find one that fit. Once I was able to, I was fed up with the attitude and pressuring from the other officers, so I refused to wear one. Ah, such a radical I was, wearing the normal flight cap.  :D

Now that I am on the dark side, I just don't see the need to spend the money. Particularly when money is in such short supply at the moment.
Harrison Ingraham, Capt, CAP
MAWG External Aerospace Education Officer, ADY
Spaatz #1597

Eclipse

Well, while we all still have our "learn on"...

General Nathan Farragut Twining, former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (1957–1960)

Quote from: wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combination_cap#United_States
In the United States Air Force, all personnel have the option to wear combination caps, but only Field-Grade (Major and above) and General Officers are required to own one. The cap of enlisted members has the insignia within a metal circle, while the Company-Grade (2dLt-1stLt-Captain) Officer version has a larger insignia without the metal circle. Field Grade Officers have two pairs of clouds and lightning bolts on the visor. General Officers caps add an extra pair of clouds and bolts on the visor, while the cap of the Chief of Staff of the United States Air Force adds clouds and bolts around the entire cap band.

The clouds and bolts are jokingly referred to as "farts and darts."

These caps are often disliked because of their bulk. Airmen prefer the flight cap for practical reasons. They often refer to this hat as "the bus driver cap" instead of "service cap" because of its similarity to hats worn by the drivers in some cities' public transportation systems, and also because the round top is almost as large as the steering wheel of a bus.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

From the same article above:

His hand is in an odd position, and considering his job, he's likely as "tight and right" as anyone - probably coming down from a salute?

Also, there's no data on the photo (shows posted in May 2006), but no nametag on the jacket and didn't
enlisted recently go back to the "US" in a circle?

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on November 24, 2007, 04:34:26 AM
From the same article above:

His hand is in an odd position, and considering his job, he's likely as "tight and right" as anyone - probably coming down from a salute?

Also, there's no data on the photo (shows posted in May 2006), but no nametag on the jacket and didn't
enlisted recently go back to the "US" in a circle?

That picture is probably from circa 2004 or so. Being that he is assigned to the White House Military Office (Badge on right side), you can be assured that his uniform is correct.

And yes, it does look like he's just finishing up dropping a salute.