Why we should keep the flag patch...

Started by Eclipse, November 23, 2007, 10:50:01 PM

Eclipse

This last weekend I was GBD'ing for a SAREx.

I had the opportunity to be the last person at our bivouac site as I took down my camper and packed up.

A woman came jogging down a path near my vehicle and asked

"Are you Army?"

"No Ma'am - Air Force Auxiliary.  We were just doing some training here this weekend."

"Oh, well, thank you for your service.  At first I thought you were a hunter, but then I saw the
flag and knew you were OK.  Have a nice day...".

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

I don't understand....is this an example of why we should loose it or why we should keep it?

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

IceNine

How could there possibly be confusion ???

" I saw the flag and knew you were ok"
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

mikeylikey

Quote from: Eclipse on November 23, 2007, 10:50:01 PM
At first I thought you were a hunter, but then I saw the
flag and knew you were OK.  Have a nice day...".

So being a hunter is not OK?  (from this ladies perspective??)  Weird.  
What's up monkeys?

SStradley

This last weekend I was GBD'ing for a SAREx.

I had the opportunity to be the last person at our bivouac site as I took down my camper and packed up.

A woman came jogging down a path near my vehicle and asked

"Are you Army?"

"No Ma'am - Air Force Auxiliary.  We were just doing some training here this weekend."

"Oh, well, thank you for your service.  At first I thought you were a hunter, but then I saw the
flag and knew you were OK.  Have a nice day...".

Great story.  I have no problem with the American Flag on my uniform.  I wonder why the USAF does not?
Scott Stradley Maj, CAP

"Duty is the sublimest word in the English language."  R.E. Lee

JayT

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Cobra1597

The grade insignia, the tapes, the wing patch (if you wear it), none of that is going to distinguish us from hunters  ::)

The fact that you were asked if you were army is part of the problem. ARMY wears the reverse flag, not AIR FORCE, and last I checked we weren't the Army auxiliary.
Harrison Ingraham, Capt, CAP
MAWG External Aerospace Education Officer, ADY
Spaatz #1597

Major Carrales

Not this same thread again!!!  >:(  How many time must we read this!!!

C'mon people, nothing to see here.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

We will be the "Army" to uninformed members of the general public as long as we are wearing military-style uniforms.  It won't matter if they are woodland or digi-pat.

The average person does not equate the army/USAF, etc., difference, or even care.

They see the US Flag and understand that the person standing in front of them supports the same ideals and ideas they do...

The flags should stay.

"That Others May Zoom"

stillamarine

Heck how many people know that the Army wears the flag and not the Air Force.......in many places other services have worn them, including myself as a Marine. Oh no does that make me an Army doggie?

I have come to a conclusion, if there is not at least 1 thread on this board with something to argue about uniform items then this board stagnates. Carry on.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

pixelwonk

*sidebar*
Folks, please don't PM the mods to shut down threads because you simply don't like them.

Choose to ignore.  mmmkay?

Eclipse

Quote from: tedda on November 24, 2007, 02:46:00 AM
*sidebar*
Folks, please don't PM the mods to shut down threads because you simply don't like them.

Nice -

The point here was a positive story about one reason the flag should stay, and I thought it better
to start a new thread then clutter the uniform committee one.

"That Others May Zoom"

star1151

Quote from: Eclipse on November 24, 2007, 02:30:18 AM
They see the US Flag and understand that the person standing in front of them supports the same ideals and ideas they do...

You're giving too much credit to the general public. 

Cobra1597

We will be the "Army" to uninformed members of the general public as long as we are wearing military-style uniforms.  It won't matter if they are woodland or digi-pat.

The average person does not equate the army/USAF, etc., difference, or even care.

The flags should stay.

By your own statement, they see us as "army" because of the military style uniform. What, are only those in the military that wear the reverse flag "sharing the same ideals"? I refuse to believe that the general public sees an Air Force officer they thinks they are a southern rebel, or a terrorist, or something.
Harrison Ingraham, Capt, CAP
MAWG External Aerospace Education Officer, ADY
Spaatz #1597

JayT

Quote from: tedda on November 24, 2007, 02:46:00 AM
*sidebar*

Isn't that the mods job?

Or are you guys starting to choose to listern  ;)
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

CASH172

The general public is certainly not gonna be able to distinguish between the different branches by looking at the BDUs.  Most people will see the BDUs and see army, some will see a flight suit and see air force.  It's just how it goes these days.

JCW0312

Quote from: JThemann on November 24, 2007, 12:23:40 AM
Because theres no need for it.

Sure there is.. It distinguishes us from the hunters!  ;D
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

JCW0312

The flags should stay.

I think you're right. My wife and I were out the other day and saw a Navy officer in the tan uniform and she referred to him as "the Army guy".  My wife doesn't know the difference, nor does she seem to care. Of course, she didn't confuse him with a hunter, but then again, he wasn't in BDUs....  :D
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

Monty

Quote from: Cobra1597 on November 24, 2007, 02:55:24 AMI refuse to believe that the general public sees an Air Force officer they thinks they are a southern rebel, or a terrorist, or something.

Well now, ain't that a peach of a "tie-together."  Can't say as I've ever seen the two in the same sentence.

I'm glad you refuse to believe that the general public might see an Air Force officer and think they see my Great Great Great Grandfather or an airplane "blower upper" or something.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: mikeylikey on November 24, 2007, 12:12:41 AM
At first I thought you were a hunter, but then I saw the
flag and knew you were OK.  Have a nice day...".

So being a hunter is not OK?  (from this ladies perspective??)  Weird.  

She must be from San Fran... >:D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill