Nomex -- Myths and Realities of Flightsuits

Started by riffraff, November 22, 2007, 03:15:18 PM

O-Rex

Quote from: wingnut on November 29, 2007, 07:38:12 AM
I think for the summers really hot weather we should have access to the same type of Hotweather refrigeration units that the chopper crews wear. It circulates cool air,the shuttle crew wears a unit that circulates cold water and weighs about 20 lbs .

For that, we may as well just go with total environmental control

NIN

Quote from: wingnut on November 29, 2007, 07:38:12 AM
wearing nomex when it is 110 is no fun,as for the cold I have been able to obtain the nomex cold weather underwear. I think for the summers really hot weather we should have access to the same type of Hotweather refrigeration units that the chopper crews wear. It circulates cool air,the shuttle crew wears a unit that circulates cold water and weighs about 20 lbs .

lets just order air conditioning in the 182s

I never wore long underwear under my flight suit unless it was REALLY cold (like way below zero).  Not sure why, but I just didn't like it (I did, on occasion when I felt there was a mission risk need or it was cold, wear the nomex long johns. And the hood under my SPH-4..).  My lower extremities seldom got cold. My upper body did, even in an N-2B parka. (although there was definitely something to be said about putting that hood up over your flight helmet for warmth..)

In the summer time, we just sweated. Badly.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: sargrunt on November 29, 2007, 08:16:41 AM
Just go commando in the summer.  Less clothing makes it cooler for you.  Why spend money on air conditioners when you can spend less money on new underwear.

One word - ZIPPER!

SAR-EMT1

Senario:
Several surplus websites sell used flightsuits. They Advertise the practice of buying an old used suit, then turning it in at the nearest Base for a brand new one. (free)  Thus saving several hundred dollars.

Question: Can CAP members do this?

(mod for spelling
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

RiverAux

SarDragon

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on November 30, 2007, 11:09:29 PM
Senario:
Several surplus websites sell used flightsuits. They Advertise the practice of buying an old used suit, then turning it in at the nearest Base for a brand new one. (free)  Thus saving several hundred dollars.

(mod for spelling

That's pretty dishonest all the way around.

First of all, that action would usually only be available to a service mamber who has a need to be issued a flight suit in the execution of their duties. CAP members don't fit into that group.

Secondly, what you propose has already been done once, by the member who was originally issued the flight suit offered for sale. Turning it in again would be like taking half of a $20 bill to the bank to get a replacement, and then taking the other half to a different bank to get a second replacement.

And to conclude, having nothing to do with the dishonesty, flight suits usually go to DRMO because they are considered unserviceable - unfit for wear, in some manner. What magically makes them suitable for wear by CAP members?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

wingnut

Good point

so why does the Wing  obtain these surplus (no longer usable) flight suits and offer them to the members?

Truth is many items surplused out are still usable, the Military must replace items or lose budgeted money. However, I think CAP should be in line with the Guard and reserve for required safety equipment being issued.

Hawk200

Quote from: SarDragon on December 01, 2007, 12:18:26 AM
...flight suits usually go to DRMO because they are considered unserviceable - unfit for wear, in some manner. What magically makes them suitable for wear by CAP members?

I've purchased a half dozen flightsuits from DRMO before. Most of the time, the only real issue was a seam that let go. Got a hold of a roll of matching Nomex thread, and voila! a perfectly serviceable flightsuit. And even if you want to consider the cost of the thread, I had a few good flightsuits for 10 bucks or less.

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: SarDragon on December 01, 2007, 12:18:26 AM
Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on November 30, 2007, 11:09:29 PM
Senario:

(mod for spelling

That's pretty dishonest all the way around.

First of all, that action would usually only be available to a service mamber who has a need to be issued a flight suit in the execution of their duties. CAP members don't fit into that group.

Secondly, what you propose has already been done once, by the member who was originally issued the flight suit offered for sale. Turning it in again would be like taking half of a $20 bill to the bank to get a replacement, and then taking the other half to a different bank to get a second replacement.

And to conclude, having nothing to do with the dishonesty, flight suits usually go to DRMO because they are considered unserviceable - unfit for wear, in some manner. What magically makes them suitable for wear by CAP members?

Truth is I never ever thought of a dishonesty factor and I just want to say that rule breaking isnt something I stand for.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student