Embroidered Flight Suit Badge

Started by ricecakecm, November 21, 2007, 09:03:44 PM

ricecakecm

Embroidered bag tags with CAP wings.

Pylon

I like it! 

The NB approved embroidered flight suit badges a while back, but a policy was never formalized and submitted to the AF for approval. 

I think the gold border, blue background, and silver embroidery work great as a color scheme.   I'd say we should mandate consistency across the board.  No funky special unit or wing color schemes - at least for now.

But  I would personally still like to see the second line with "GRADE" and "CAP" on there.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mikeylikey

^ I like it as well.  I too would like to see grade on there.  I think we don't need "CAP" on there as other various badges already say that.  However, I take whatever it is as long as it is embroidered. 

I also agree with Mike that it should be consistent for every Wing.  No local exceptions.
What's up monkeys?

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on November 21, 2007, 11:09:38 PM
But  I would personally still like to see the second line with "GRADE" and "CAP" on there.

Not for ocifers.  The grade on your shoulders and the CIVIL AIR PATROL on the MAJCOM patch covers it.  For NCOs and cadets, Yes.
Mike Johnston

LtCol White

I like the color scheme as well. We have to look at what was already approved by NB to see how it was done and if it includes RANK and CAP. Obviously, it will be up to USAF as to whether or not its on the badge.

These colors should be standard for all wings. They also match the colors of the Command Patch.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

lordmonar

I like the embroidered patch....but if we standardize it across CAP....why not just keep with the leather.

If we go embroider we are just asking for local units/groups/wings to do their own thing.

On the other hand....taking a cue from our parent service....allowing lower echelons to customize their name tapes increases morale and esprit d'corps.

YMMV.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

isuhawkeye

Col.  Hodgkins recently came out and stated that the Air Force HAS NOT approved these

BlueLakes1

Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

Hawk200

Embroidered would be great. I'd sew everything to my bag. Be a lot easier than looking for things.

Hawk200

mikeylikey

Quote from: isuhawkeye on November 22, 2007, 12:46:22 AM
Col.  Hodgkins recently came out and stated that the Air Force HAS NOT approved these

Care to share what else is going on at CAP-USAF.  They are very secretive there.  In fact the whole USAF side of CAP-USAF is not as visible as it was say 5 years ago.  

So did the Colonel shoot it down, or did he pass it on for review?  
What's up monkeys?

isuhawkeye

Mine is cardinal and Gold

Go Cyclones

QuoteCare to share what else is going on at CAP-USAF.  They are very secretive there.  In fact the whole USAF side of CAP-USAF is not as visible as it was say 5 years ago. 

When he was in Iowa a few weeks ago he mentioned it, and I go the (Not Gunna Happen) Vibe.

RiverAux

Ours should parallel whatever the AF does with their badges.  If they have grade and service on the badge, then so should ours. 

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on November 22, 2007, 01:03:34 AM
Ours should parallel whatever the AF does with their badges.  If they have grade and service on the badge, then so should ours. 

Well...that goes with our saying.....but for some reason the USAF don't like us being too close to their flier types.  That is not to say the USAF doesn't like us, CAP.  The flier types are very jealous of their status symbols even to other USAF types.  Just look at the rules for who can wear a flight bag......it has nothing to do if you fly for a living but if you are on flight status or not.

So the old song and dance about it being for crew safety is about 95% crock.

Oh...BTW...there are a lot of AD USAF units that just ignore that section of the AFI and do what they want.

Just store that little tid bit next time someone blows a gasket because some CAP unit violates 39-1.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

Considering all the fact that we've got absolutely nothing on the flight suit linking us with the Air Force in any way, there seems to be little chance for confusion. 

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on November 22, 2007, 01:23:12 AM
Considering all the fact that we've got absolutely nothing on the flight suit linking us with the Air Force in any way, there seems to be little chance for confusion. 

The biggest thing is it's a green bag. That's all it takes. Even some of our Army pilots wearing the one-piece get asked if they're in the Air Force. And there are three military installations in the local area. It's crazy, but it does happen.

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on November 22, 2007, 01:15:34 AM

Well...that goes with our saying.....but for some reason the USAF don't like us being too close to their flier types.  That is not to say the USAF doesn't like us, CAP.  The flier types are very jealous of their status symbols even to other USAF types.  Just look at the rules for who can wear a flight bag......it has nothing to do if you fly for a living but if you are on flight status or not.

So the old song and dance about it being for crew safety is about 95% crock.

Oh...BTW...there are a lot of AD USAF units that just ignore that section of the AFI and do what they want.

Just store that little tid bit next time someone blows a gasket because some CAP unit violates 39-1.

You done with yet another anti-flyer rant there Pat? It's getting kinda old, don't you think?

AlphaSigOU

Rated AF officers usually wear cloth name tags with their wings, first and last name. (Or callsign if it's Friday.) No grade or 'USAF'. You might see jump wings, chaplain or commander's badge on the tag, or some kind of emblem representing the squadron. I've seen very few leather nametags on RealAirForce® bags.

Enlisted aircrew include their grade with their nametag, since they don't wear grade on the bag.

Only time you see grade and USAF on a leather tag it's on the brown leather A-2 jacket.

USAFA and AFROTC cadinks have special nametag rules. USAFA's tag colors are the class year colors and add a second line 'USAFA CADET XX' (XX for class year) AFROTC cadinks have a similar tag, except the tag colors usually match the university's colors and read 'CADET AFROTC' on the second line.

Biggest reason why the RealAirForce's® zipper-suited-sun-god-mafia won't let us wear brown leather A-2s with the bag or with blues is because that's the initiation badge of an operational, mission-ready aircrew. I think the same goes with the cloth name tag in some communities, namely fighters.

Current AFI 36-2903 prohibits morale patches... but is someone gonna jack up the 'wing king' because he's wearing one?
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

RiverAux

If thats the way they're dealing with the Academy and ROTC, then I've got no problem keeping CAP on our name tags.

Personally, I think the cloth badges look terrible while the leather ones look more professional.  Also, if our embroidered tags had rank, I would very quickly get fed up with replacing them as I moved up the ranks.  It was already a pain replacing the rank insignia. 

IceNine

Quote from: Hawk200 on November 22, 2007, 12:50:20 AM
Quote from: Redfire11 on November 22, 2007, 12:48:48 AM
I know where you got those... ;D

Would you PM me, and let me in on it?

Can you add me to the list as well.  If nothing else it will look nice as an identifier for my mission bag
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4