need to know if the old style class A service coat can still be used

Started by the_newyorker, November 14, 2007, 07:59:42 PM

the_newyorker

on lineand every one in my unit are at a lost we looked in the regs and online but we cant find out if you can still wear the old style class A service coat so if any one knows please let me know thank you

RogueLeader

Only Cadets, all Senior Members may only wear the new AF Service Coat.  Which seems like it will be changing soon, so you might want to wait on getting one.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JayT

Quote from: the_newyorker on November 14, 2007, 07:59:42 PM
on lineand every one in my unit are at a lost we looked in the regs and online but we cant find out if you can still wear the old style class A service coat so if any one knows please let me know thank you

Whats a Class A service coat?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

pixelwonk

BillB

Cadets ONLY can wear the old style service coat. There was a phase out date for cadets to wear the coat, but it was dropped by the National Board last year.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

the_newyorker

ok i thought i heard that but one of my officers said that we couldint wear it and thats what started every thing.

JCW0312

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 14, 2007, 08:02:10 PM
Only Cadets, all Senior Members may only wear the new AF Service Coat.  Which seems like it will be changing soon, so you might want to wait on getting one.

Wow, a lot of changing of the Class A coat. This could get expensive quick if you want to keep a set of A's around!
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

RogueLeader

Quote from: JCW0312 on November 15, 2007, 03:17:00 AM
Wow, a lot of changing of the Class A coat. This could get expensive quick if you want to keep a set of A's around!

Yup, that's why I recommend that you wait and see.

BTW, there are no "Class A's" in CAP.  They are referred to as Service Dress.  They mean the same level of attire, but from different organizations.  I don't know where they started, but that's what is there.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

the_newyorker

well see ever since i started cap every one was calling them class As so thats why i say it its just sweet and short and isn't the regular blues uniform called class b?

the_newyorker

well thank you all for helping me with this i need to know because we had a cac meeting and i wanted to look good thx again

JCW0312

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 15, 2007, 04:18:18 AM

BTW, there are no "Class A's" in CAP.  They are referred to as Service Dress.  They mean the same level of attire, but from different organizations.  I don't know where they started, but that's what is there.

TRUE. But "Class A" just rolls off the tongue so easy...
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

mikeylikey

Quote from: JCW0312 on November 15, 2007, 08:55:04 AM

And allows for us to classify a multitude of Different uniforms by one letter.

There is no regulation stating that at my SQD I can't have uniforms classified as Class A, B, C, F, J, TPU, PAG (Polo and Gray).  I have actually heard AF personnel use the terminology as well.  It is not something to be "hung-up" on here.
What's up monkeys?

JayT

Quote from: mikeylikey on November 15, 2007, 03:58:21 PM
Quote from: JCW0312 on November 15, 2007, 08:55:04 AM

And allows for us to classify a multitude of Different uniforms by one letter.

There is no regulation stating that at my SQD I can't have uniforms classified as Class A, B, C, F, J, TPU, PAG (Polo and Gray).  I have actually heard AF personnel use the terminology as well.  It is not something to be "hung-up" on here.

I disagree. Once you start going down that road, you eventually end up at a bad place, regulation following wise.

Is it really that hard to say 'Full Service Dress' or 'Short Sleeve' service dress, compared to 'Class A' or 'Class B with short sleeve shirt.'

If you can't even call it the right thing, you might not be able to wear it the right way.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

afgeo4

A regulation telling you not to call something by some other name isn't required. There's a regulation stating what name is to be used for this uniform combination and that's SERVICE DRESS.

What people call things is irrelevant. Only the truth matters.
GEORGE LURYE

JayT

Quote from: afgeo4 on November 15, 2007, 04:51:49 PM
A regulation telling you not to call something by some other name isn't required. There's a regulation stating what name is to be used for this uniform combination and that's SERVICE DRESS.

I don't know if 'truth' is the correct word Captain, but I definately agree with the spirite of your post. Theres the right way to call something, and the wrong way.

If an EMT is working with a patient, he wouldn't say 'Give me that thingamagig' when he needs a C-Collar.

mikeylikey

^  Yes but CAPNHQ can't even get grade abreviations correct in all areas.  That should be the simplest thing to do. 
What's up monkeys?

JayT

Quote from: mikeylikey on November 15, 2007, 05:03:56 PM
^  Yes but CAPNHQ can't even get grade abreviations correct in all areas.  That should be the simplest thing to do. 

Then we fix it, we don't lower our standards, even if our higher headquarters screws it up.

mikeylikey

Anyway......

To close this, Cadets are allowed the old style SERVICE DRESS JACKET, Officers ARE NOT!  MAKE sure Cadets wear the same shade pants with the old style jacket, it looks silly if they don't
What's up monkeys?

JayT

Quote from: mikeylikey on November 15, 2007, 05:07:58 PM
Anyway......

To close this, Cadets are allowed the old style SERVICE DRESS JACKET, Officers ARE NOT!  MAKE sure Cadets wear the same shade pants with the old style jacket, it looks silly if they don't

Is Officer the proper term for interagency communication?
:-p

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MIKE

Quote from: JThemann on November 15, 2007, 04:48:58 PM
I disagree. Once you start going down that road, you eventually end up at a bad place, regulation following wise.

Is it really that hard to say 'Full Service Dress' or 'Short Sleeve' service dress, compared to 'Class A' or 'Class B with short sleeve shirt.'

If you can't even call it the right thing, you might not be able to wear it the right way.

So, I guess I should question your ability to wear the uniform properly too then? Hint, hint.

Quote from: mikeylikey on November 15, 2007, 05:07:58 PMMAKE sure Cadets wear the same shade pants with the old style jacket, it looks silly if they don't

IAW CAPM 39-1 the coat and trousers MUST match in shade and weave.  If you are wearing the 1625s you got from FCU/CUP with and old stye service coat... You are wrong.  Which odds are most cadets are.
Mike Johnston

Grumpy

Yeah know I see a lot of pettiness here.  Class A, Class B, Service coat.  Gad, I still call the Service Coat a blouse and I've been calling it that for 48 years.  It's all those dang numbers that throw me.     Grrrr

JayT

Quote from: MIKE on November 15, 2007, 07:04:16 PM
Quote from: JThemann on November 15, 2007, 04:48:58 PM

So, I guess I should question your ability to wear the uniform properly too then? Hint, hint.

Quote from: mikeylikey on November 15, 2007, 05:07:58 PMMAKE sure Cadets wear the same shade pants with the old style jacket, it looks silly if they don't

IAW CAPM 39-1 the coat and trousers MUST match in shade and weave.  If you are wearing the 1625s you got from FCU/CUP with and old stye service coat... You are wrong.  Which odds are most cadets are.

Hint taken.

But I'll stand inspection anyday of the week.

JCW0312

Quote from: JThemann on November 15, 2007, 04:54:42 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on November 15, 2007, 04:51:49 PM

I don't know if 'truth' is the correct word Captain, but I definately agree with the spirite of your post. Theres the right way to call something, and the wrong way.

If an EMT is working with a patient, he wouldn't say 'Give me that thingamagig' when he needs a C-Collar.

Actually, it depends on who your partner is. I had the same partner on a unit for over 2 years and all I had to say was "next" as I held out my hand and got whatever it was I needed. They say great minds think alike.  ;D But... I see your point.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

SarDragon

And we both know that issue has been addressed ad nauseum, so why whack the dead horse again?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mikeylikey

Quote from: SarDragon on November 16, 2007, 09:19:02 AM

And we both know that issue has been addressed ad nauseum, so why whack the dead horse again?

Perhaps someone will ACT UPON IT!
What's up monkeys?