State Guard decs on CAP uniforms

Started by Hawk200, November 13, 2007, 07:40:55 PM

Should State Guard decorations be allowed on the CAP uniform?

Yes
20 (33.9%)
No
39 (66.1%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Hawk200

Hate to seagull on this, but thought I'd put it up while I remembered it.

Question: Should decorations from legitimately recognized State Guard organizations be worn on Civil Air Patrol uniforms?

Made it a poll so that I could more easily track aye's and nay's.

ddelaney103

No - while I am proud of my ANG State awards, it just makes life too complex.

JayT

No.

Are CAP ribbons permitted on State Guard uniforms?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

NAYBOR

In some, yes, CAP ribbons are permitted.  I believe Maryland's Defense Force permits them, for example, below MD awards.

BillB

Since an award with ribbon in one state may be different design for the same award in another state, it would be to confusing to allow SDF ribbons on CAP uniform. CAP ribbons are awarded by National Regulation whereas state ribbons differ from state to state.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

MIKE

IMO, awards from state military departments for National Guard or State Guard members should not be permitted, as they typically are not worn when on "federal service."
Mike Johnston

Short Field

Is the State Guard considered "U.S. Armed Forces" for the purpose of promotions in CAP?  You know, where if you were a RM Captain, you get promoted to Captain in CAP.  If a State Guard promotion will result in a promotion in CAP, then you should be able to wear there ribbons.  If not, then you shouldn't.

I only have opinions on this, so if anyone has any documentation that answers the promotion question, please post it.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

JayT

Quote from: NAYBOR on November 13, 2007, 10:04:21 PM
In some, yes, CAP ribbons are permitted.  I believe Maryland's Defense Force permits them, for example, below MD awards.

So theres not even a standard accross the State Guard organizations accross the country........

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

O-Rex

Heck no: CAP awards enough blingage as it is.

RiverAux

I don't think we allow state-level NG awards to be worn on uniforms, so I can't see any justification for allowing SDF awards (which would actually be equivalent to state-level NG awards) either. 

Hawk200

Wow, lot of votes in a short time. Ironic, considering that the State Guard person that showed up tonight didn't even ask. But I'm glad to get responses.

I'm not going to lock voting yet, figure I'll wait another day or so. Even though there seems to be an overwhelming "No", I'm willing to give some folks that haven't checked in lately a chance to cast their vote.

JohnKachenmeister

If CAP ends up under the Air National Guard, YES.

If CAP remains a purely-federal force, NO.

Same as the Air Force, in my opinion.
Another former CAP officer

alamrcn

Do all states have their own guard? I've never heard of the Minnesota State Guard... but they may have never heard of Minnesota Wing Civil Air Patrol either!

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

md132

No, not all have them.  Only about 23 states have State Defense Forces/State Guards/State Military Reserve.

jb512

Originally I said no, but after thinking about it I don't see why we couldn't allow members to wear their highest award from an approved list of SDF, CGAUX, prior  ROTC, etc...  I don't see the harm in allowing another spot in the rack for one of those.

Major Carrales

Quote from: jaybird512 on November 14, 2007, 09:56:34 PM
Originally I said no, but after thinking about it I don't see why we couldn't allow members to wear their highest award from an approved list of SDF, CGAUX, prior  ROTC, etc...  I don't see the harm in allowing another spot in the rack for one of those.

Believe it or not, this is actually the best reasoned compromise on this matter I can think of.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JayT

Quote from: Major Carrales on November 15, 2007, 02:23:56 AM
Quote from: jaybird512 on November 14, 2007, 09:56:34 PM

Believe it or not, this is actually the best reasoned compromise on this matter I can think of.

Why do we need a compromise on this issue?

Why should a former ROTC cadet be allowed to wear ribbons? Does that mean I can wear my AFJROTC ribbons too?

State Guards don't even have standards between different states. Why do we have to recongize what might, in effect, be an honorary or shot gun milita organization?

As for the Coast Guard Aux, unless the award is from the Coast Guard itself, why should we allow Auxiliarist to wear a ribbon? I mean, the PUC from Katrina is one thing, but what else?

We're our own organization. Recognizing military awards is one thing, we are quasi attached to the Air Force.

mikeylikey

National Guard Awards and Ribbons should be allowed on the CAP uniform.  Heck, they would be allowed on the TPU right, since they are not considered military decorations by CAPNHQ??
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

QuoteAs for the Coast Guard Aux, unless the award is from the Coast Guard itself, why should we allow Auxiliarist to wear a ribbon? I mean, the PUC from Katrina is one thing, but what else?
FYI, it is very routine for CG Auxies to receive "real" CG award ribbons in addition to the Aux-specific ribbons and awards.  Besides the service-wide awards (911 ribbon, Katrina), they are usually various sorts of "team" awards for big operations of one kind or another. 

MIKE

Just one of the perks of being an Auxiliary with a capitol "A".
Mike Johnston