Main Menu

Cadet long hair

Started by desert rat, November 12, 2007, 04:30:42 PM

desert rat

Why can adults have long hair and beards, but our cadets can't?  What can we do to allow this?

MIKE

The National Board discussed this not long ago, but IIRC hasn't really made a decision yet.  IMO letting cadets wear CAP distinctive uniforms and not conform to grooming standards is a bad idea which serves to further demilitarize the program even further into something akin to Aviation Explorers.
Mike Johnston

desert rat

Let them wear corporate then.  What do we adults look like when we are overweight, long hair and beards.

How does an 80 year old look in an Air Force Uniform?  Are we trying that hard to be military?

How about letting them slick their hair back and tucked then? 

We could recruit a ton more kids if we changed the hair requirement, or loosened the Phisical fitness requirements.

LtCol White

Why would we want to do this? Standards are one of the things that set the cadet program apart from the other civilian youth groups out there. This is definitely NOT the way to go. We want quality in our cadets not quantity
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Psicorp

I think it's important to remember that the Cadet Program is a seperate program within CAP.  The standards as they are in place are there for a reason. 

Can you imagine a Color Guard or a Drill Team with Cadets in four different styles of uniforms?  Are you willing to tell one Cadet that the PT requirement must be met in order to advance for him/her but not for someone else who doesn't have a medical waiver?  Talk about destroying all aspects of comraderie, teamwork, and morale.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

Quote from: desert rat on November 12, 2007, 04:45:03 PM

We could recruit a ton more kids if we changed the hair requirement, or loosened the Phisical fitness requirements.

I don't think the issue of cadet memebership's numbers is based that much on the standards for the Cadet Program.  I will admit there are some who are turned off by that.  Membership in cadets is down primarily due to a lack of interest on the whole.

Some perspective cadets (and their parents) are turned off because of the uniform.  They are under the impression that by joining our program that they or their children will be sent off to war.  

Some are turned off because of a posible conflict with school or other activities they already have.  And I know of some who it's just too far for the parents to travel.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

JohnKachenmeister

If anyone is so stupid as to think that the United States sends 14-year old cadets to war, then they are too stupid to waste your time on. 

The appearance standards are there for a reason.  We are teaching cadets to be leaders.  Nobody follows people with purple spiked hair.  Well, nobody except the police.
Another former CAP officer

Eclipse

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister link=topic=3515.msg66866#msg66866Nobody
follows people with purple spiked hair.  Well, nobody except the police.

That's classic!  ;D

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

The Senior side and the cadet programs serve to entirely different purposes.  Military discipline, physical fitness, and uniformity are a huge part of the cadet program.  Seniors are here for different reasons and steps are in place to recruit and retain Seniors for those purposes, ie. the corporate uniform, etc.
I knew cadets who pushed themselves to lose weight because they wanted to look sharp in their uniform, and have seen parents nearly in tears because their hippie looking kid suddenly wants a flat top and finally started tucking his shirt in for school.

If perspective cadets are "turned off" by our standards, thats OK.  Thats why they are called standards.  We cant accomodate everyone, nor should we try.  If a parent thinks they are "enlisting" their child then someone hasnt given the proper recruiting speech. One of the first things I tell parents is that in no way are they or their child committed to the military.  Although, in 15 years in CAP I dont ever think Ive meet a parent who really thought their 14 year old was actually going anywhere.

PA Guy

I suppose it's in what we want.

If we want a cadet program based on the military model and maintain the USAF affiliation then we must keep the current standards.

However, if we want an aerospace exploration program then drop the current standards.  No uniforms, AF affiliated NCSAs, grade, ribbons or other benefits/trappings of a cadet program.  If we are going to have a cadet program do it right or not at all.

Cecil DP

Anybody wearing the Air Force uniform(Senior or Cadet) should meet the grooming, height and weight standards. Real easy to tell. If your hair is hanging down over your ears or eyes-get a haircut. If when you get on a scale and it says 1 at a time please-lose weight. If your uniform is made by Omar the tent maker-Go on a diet. 
This is all covered in the cadet and senior member orientation programs and CAPR 39-1 where it even has pictures for those who can't read. If they choose not to follow the regs regarding hair/grooming standards have them wear the alternate uniform(s) there are enough of them.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

alamrcn

Quote from: desert rat on November 12, 2007, 04:45:03 PM
How does an 80 year old look in an Air Force Uniform?  Are we trying that hard to be military?

Pretty good from what I saw while standing at attention as they passed by me in the parade. Anyone wanna go gig the guy who landed on Omaha Beach in June '44? Me, not so much...

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota