Cadet Rocket Patch needs changing

Started by desert rat, November 12, 2007, 04:29:36 PM

desert rat

Why can't the cadet rocket badge and the patch match?   All other badges have the same design to be worn on the BDU, why do they need an awfull looking patch they have for rockets?

PHall

Quote from: desert rat on November 12, 2007, 04:29:36 PM
Why can't the cadet rocket badge and the patch match?   All other badges have the same design to be worn on the BDU, why do they need an awfull looking patch they have for rockets?

We've been asking this question for at least 30 plus years now.

desert rat

You know the saying, "all talk no action".   Seems they would do things to keep cadets happy.  Vangaurd would like the new sales they would make. LOL

SarDragon

I've been involved with the model rocketry program a couple of times, and I haven't heard all that many complaints from the cadets about the difference between the badge and the patch. They seem to like them both. OTOH, the adults are frequently in some sort of uproar about it.

Is it really important? Is there really a problem there that needs fixed? I say no to both.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AlphaSigOU

If I remember correctly, the model rocketry patch is almost identical to the NARAM (National Association of Rocketry Annual Meet) patches. (NARAM-12, Houston TX 1969). The colors are reversed on the NARAM patch.

NARAM 12 patch. The patch is signed by Vern Estes, founder of Estes Industries.

CAP model rocketry patch

The badge is based off the early missile badge, well before the RealAirForce® added the operations 'toilet seat' and before it morphed into the 'spwings' of today. It's still awarded for missile maintenance.

I wouldn't sweat it; there are more important things to worry about in CAP than a patch or badge.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

MIKE

Cadetified Spwings... For cadet "aerospace professionals."  ;D
Mike Johnston

jeders

Quote from: desert rat on November 12, 2007, 04:29:36 PM

Really, ever look at the comm or safety patch and badge, not exactly the same. The reason that things like wings and GT badges and such match on both uniforms is because these are specialty insignias, the model rocketry patch/badge are not specialty insignia. Having earned the model rocketry badge/patch, I have no problem with them looking different.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

TankerT

Yes... lets change MORE patches... and while were at it, have a short phase in period too...

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

jeders

Quote from: TankerT on November 13, 2007, 04:40:32 PM
Yes... lets change MORE patches... and while were at it, have a short phase in period too...

Hey now, keep talking like that and they might make you National Commander  ;D
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

pixelwonk

yay!  cardigan sweaters for everybody! :)

Hawk200

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on November 13, 2007, 12:15:28 PM
The badge is based off the early missile badge, well before the RealAirForce® added the operations 'toilet seat' and before it morphed into the 'spwings' of today. It's still awarded for missile maintenance.

"Spings" are actually awarded under different criteria than the old missile badge. It's possible that someone can wear both. I've attached a file that came off Space Commands' website before the new -2903 came out. The Space badge is awarded for Credentialed Space Professionals, not missile maintenance(which may be an AFSC that does fall under CSP).

Anyway, I don't mind the Model Rocketry patch, but I dislike that it's worn in place of a unit patch. I would be happier with the more common placement that I've seen of it being worn on the left pocket (which is not in compliance with 39-1, but I think looks better).

adamblank

I think the badge is outdated.  It would be hassle to change, but as an aerospace award it might be worth looking into.  There is always the option of CAP spings with "credentialed rocketeers" ;-)

We aren't happy about the spings.  Space and missile officers no don't get an AFSC badge like everyone else when we graduate school, we have to get "credentialed".
Adam Brandao

rdmcii

The current patch was originally an award patch that Estes produced and sold to any group leader that wanted to use it as a recognition. I actually still have an old estes educator newsletter that pictures it before it was cap official. I'd guess somebody worked it up that chain of command to the uniform board and got it authorized. The part I could never figure is why it is a right pocket patch. Seems more in line with left pocket patches.

Bob

alamrcn

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on November 13, 2007, 12:15:28 PM
If I remember correctly, the model rocketry patch is almost identical to the NARAM (National Association of Rocketry Annual Meet) patches. (NARAM-12, Houston TX 1969). The colors are reversed on the NARAM patch.

Wow, didn't know that - Cool background info, thanks!
Here's a little better link to an image of that patch...
http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/OTHER/modelrkt.jpg
Do you or Bob (rdmcii) have any guess as to the patch's year of official introduction?

I like the blue's "missleman" badge for rocketry, but like most think the patch version is a little fugly by today's standards. Like anything that is almost exclusively cadet programs oriented, put it through the Cadet Advisory Council for best/quickest results.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota