Golf Shirt - a better design?

Started by RiverAux, November 08, 2007, 02:36:29 PM

RiverAux

Is it just me or is the CAP seal a poor choice for putting on our golf shirt?  The writing is so small that you have to get right in somebody's face to read it and the whole thing is just too "busy" for such a small format.

An obvious alternative would be the command patch which at least is simple and readable.  However, I'm not sure that the command patch style is really all that great on a golf shirt.

I think a better alternative would be the rounded symbol we're putting on the airplane doors now. 

Another option would be to just go with "Civil Air Patrol" in some sort of nice looking font. 

Thoughts?

ammotrucker

I agree the patch that is currently on the Golf shirt is busy.  the command patch looks cleaner and easier to read.

I know that this shirt is used as a alternative uniform for senior members, I have one when I first joined.  But lets get real.  It's a golf shirt, I do not see any reason I can't wear this shirt golfing if I so desire with pants that are not gray.  I have been yelled at by numerous people about it being a uniform and that you MUST wear it that way.

This is BS it's a golf shirt.
RG Little, Capt

ddelaney103

Quote from: ammotrucker on November 08, 2007, 03:17:55 PM
I agree the patch that is currently on the Golf shirt is busy.  the command patch looks cleaner and easier to read.

I know that this shirt is used as a alternative uniform for senior members, I have one when I first joined.  But lets get real.  It's a golf shirt, I do not see any reason I can't wear this shirt golfing if I so desire with pants that are not gray.  I have been yelled at by numerous people about it being a uniform and that you MUST wear it that way.

This is BS it's a golf shirt.

Funny, we were encouraged at the Philadelphia Summer Board to wear the golf shirt around as a advert.

MIKE

I'd say use the MAJCOM patch... but it changes too frequently.  I also think the shirt should be standardized.  Whether you have you name and badge on it or not, the seal/shield/emblem should be on the same side... though I'd really prefer everyone at least have their name on it.

I like the CGAux Ops polo, but that design only really works with a pair of ODU trousers/shorts, but I'd rather wear those than the gray things.
Mike Johnston

ammotrucker

QuoteFunny, we were encouraged at the Philadelphia Summer Board to wear the golf shirt around as a advert.

I was growled at and yelled at by Officers of my group who happened to my squadron building while I was wearing this golf shirt and a pair of jeans.  I was told that it was not to be used for any purpose other then alternative uniform.

My stand is MY MONEY, GOLF SHIRT, I wear as I please but will refrain from ever wearing again to squadron not in correct uniform.

Quote tags -TA
RG Little, Capt

pixelwonk

Quote from: MIKE on November 08, 2007, 03:49:11 PM
I'd say use the MAJCOM patch... but it changes too frequently.  I also think the shirt should be standardized.  Whether you have you name and badge on it or not, the seal/shield/emblem should be on the same side... though I'd really prefer everyone at least have their name on it.

I like the CGAux Ops polo, but that design only really works with a pair of ODU trousers/shorts, but I'd rather wear those than the gray things.
^yay.

As an aside, neither the seal, nor a command patch is good under the current method of manufacture.  The shirt is so thin it warps and curls inward where it's embroidered.
What I'd need to see before I'd ever wear it:
Thicker weight polo...
Contemporary collar...
command patch embroidered properly...
lose the pocket.  AFAIK, Robert Carradine isn't a member...

I just posted in a uniform thread. [darnit]!

pixelwonk

Quote from: ammotrucker on November 08, 2007, 04:10:20 PMI was growled at and yelled at by Officers of my group who happened to my squadron building while I was wearing this golf shirt and a pair of jeans.  I was told that it was not to be used for any purpose other then alternative uniform.

My stand is MY MONEY, GOLF SHIRT, I wear as I please but will refrain from ever wearing again to squadron not in correct uniform.

You can take that stand if you want, but I'd bet you'd be standing alone. It is a uniform item and wearing jeans with it at a CAP function or facility sends the wrong message, whether you mean to or not.
...no disrespect meant.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: tedda on November 08, 2007, 04:17:30 PM
I'd say use the MAJCOM patch... but it changes too frequently.  I also think the shirt should be standardized.  Whether you have you name and badge on it or not, the seal/shield/emblem should be on the same side... though I'd really prefer everyone at least have their name on it.

^yay.

As an aside, neither the seal, nor a command patch is good under the current method of manufacture.  The shirt is so thin it warps and curls inward where it's embroidered.
Thicker weight polo...
Contemporary collar...

Oh yeah he is!

I'll bet EVERYBODY can tell a story about a guy that looks just like him, usually a captain, and usually wanting to do public affairs, even though he can't spell.
Another former CAP officer

Psicorp

Quote from: tedda on November 08, 2007, 04:28:12 PM
Quote from: ammotrucker on November 08, 2007, 04:10:20 PMI was growled at and yelled at by Officers of my group who happened to my squadron building while I was wearing this golf shirt and a pair of jeans.  I was told that it was not to be used for any purpose other then alternative uniform.

You can take that stand if you want, but I'd bet you'd be standing alone. It is a uniform item and wearing jeans with it at a CAP function or facility sends the wrong message, whether you mean to or not.
...no disrespect meant.

And here I was thinking of ordering a golf shirt with just the seal or MajCom patch to wear when *gasp* playing golf.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

floridacyclist

Actually, I would like to have a nice-looking polo shirt to wear with civillian clothes. The one I snagged in the recruiting giveaway was white and we know how long clothes stay white around children.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

ammotrucker

quote]

...no disrespect meant.

If it happened on a night of a meeting, or there was something that was suppose to be going on.  I agree with you.

This happened on a non-scheduled day when I stopped in to pick up a folder for ES about upcoming training.  No hurm was intended and I was not expecting anyone to be at the location.
RG Little, Capt

shorning

Quote from: ammotrucker on November 08, 2007, 08:16:11 PM
quote]

...no disrespect meant.

If it happened on a night of a meeting, or there was something that was suppose to be going on.  I agree with you.

This happened on a non-scheduled day when I stopped in to pick up a folder for ES about upcoming training.  No hurm was intended and I was not expecting anyone to be at the location.

Would you have done the same with a blues or BDU shirt (or their counterparts)? 

brasda91

Quote from: ammotrucker on November 08, 2007, 08:16:11 PM

This happened on a non-scheduled day when I stopped in to pick up a folder for ES about upcoming training.  No harm was intended and I was not expecting anyone to be at the location.

I've done the same thing.  I've even worn it out to supper, just as an advertisement for CAP.

I have several fire dept. shirts just like it and when I wear my CAP polo, I put it in the same category as the fd shirts.  There are sooo many shirts in this day that have some type of logo or seal, that nobody is going to know that the polo is a "uniform" shirt.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Ricochet13

Well . . . . here's my two cents about the blue golf shirt.

When I wear it with grey pants, black shoes, and black belt, it's an authorized alternative CAP uniform.

When I wear it with anything else it is a nice looking golf shirt.

If and when I see the Earth stand still, I may view it differently.

I would however, like to see a better quality shirt, but $20 is hard to pass up.  All members of my squadron have one and when worn with grey pants, black shoes, and black belt, it is our squadron uniform of the day.

It actually has been a great recruiting tool.  Simple, inexpensive, and many other advantages which new members really like.

JC004

I'd say use the MAJCOM patch... but it changes too frequently.

I say just put all of them on the same shirt, just to be sure.

star1151

I honestly don't mind the seal.  It looks official, and when you're wearing a golf shirt, you need all the help you can get.

What I would like to see is a golf shirt of better quality and better sizing.  I buy size S from Vanguard and still have to have it altered because it's so big.  It's also pretty see through, which is probably fine for men, but....

And as for this....

Quote from: ammotrucker on November 08, 2007, 04:10:20 PM
How is it not considered a uniform item?  It's YOUR MONEY and your BDU's/flight suit as well, and I bet you wouldn't be grocery shopping or playing golf in either of those.

Edited for typo

Nomex Maximus

I want the golf shirt to have matching golf shorts. And the option for sandals with black nylon socks.
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

pixelwonk

I'm about to speak in generalities here.

scenario 1: You're at a CAP facility or function wearing the golf shirt/polo with jeans, shorts or anything_but_the_authorized_pants on.  Can you expect people to take issue with that?  I think that is a reasonable expectation.

scenario 2: You're wearing same as above.  You're golfing.  Or perhaps taking your friend to get some Sea Monkeys. Or maybe even shopping for cheese danishes and Sea Monkeys.
End result, nobody cares but OCD types on CAP Talk.  Nobody's bothered by it because they just want to buy their Chicken Pot Pie and Cheesy Poofs and get home to watch Ugly Betty.

If wearing big honkin CAP seals on your shirts on Casual Friday is just how you roll, then we apparently aren't going to change your mind with this thread.  Still, for your own sake, remember the impression you make upon others.  Your wardrobe choices may not get you kicked out of CAP, but that doesn't mean you won't look like a waterhead either.

star1151

Quote from: tedda on November 09, 2007, 12:52:28 AM

End result, nobody cares but OCD types on CAP Talk. 

Tell that to my retired O-6 father who still grumbles about our former next door neighbor wearing Navy dress blues as a Halloween costume....I guess my point is, you never know WHO will see you.  Sure, it's just a golf shirt, but...

stillamarine

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 08, 2007, 06:09:41 PM
Quote from: tedda on November 08, 2007, 04:17:30 PM

^yay.

Thicker weight polo...
Contemporary collar...

Oh yeah he is!

I'll bet EVERYBODY can tell a story about a guy that looks just like him, usually a captain, and usually wanting to do public affairs, even though he can't spell.

Hey now!! How dare you post a picture of me!!! And besides I'm not a captain just a lowly 2nd LT!
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com