Vanguard Order -- Wish Me Luck

Started by ColonelJack, November 01, 2007, 01:26:39 PM

ColonelJack

At the risk of being soundly chided by the group, I have placed an order for a pair of 1625-shade trousers and a silver chin strap for my service cap from Vanguard.  I placed the order yesterday (with shipping, it comes to just over $61).

One bit of comedy already has ensued.  I received not one, but two confirmation e-mails of my order -- with different order numbers.  Sure enough, they'd placed (and charged!!!!) two orders for me.  I contacted them as soon as I received the e-mails and informed them I'd placed only one order for only one pair of trousers and chin strap.  Eva, the Customer Service rep I dealt with, was very nice and quickly assured me of a fix of the problem.

Today I note my credit card account has been credited the extra $61 and an e-mail has been received that the duplicate order has been cancelled.

I hope to get my stuff soon.  What do you think my chances are?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

RogueLeader

Not much, but at least you got  the refund of the duplicate.  Maybe they were hoping that you wouldn't notice the discrepancies.  I don't know about the others, but I forgive you for going TPU.   ;) ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

BigMojo

I got my new name tag today after a month backorder...to have it misspelled. Probably be another month to fix.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

LtCol Hooligan

Quote from: BigMojo on November 01, 2007, 04:45:53 PM
I got my new name tag today after a month backorder...to have it misspelled. Probably be another month to fix.

I had that happen to mine as well.  I just sent an e-mail to the link on their website and a new one came within a week or two.  I think the address was:  cap@vanguardmil.com.  I would give it a try and see what happens.  Magically it worked for me!!
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

SJFedor

This falls under the "fart in a windstorm" metaphor.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

star1151

I must say, they credited my order very quickly when I decided I needed what I needed far sooner than they could provide it.  It was a point against them, however, when I changed my mind five days after the order, called to see if it was too late for a refund, and it wasn't.

ColonelJack

Order update:

Beth from Vanguard called me late yesterday and asked me for a physical address to ship my order, since I'd used my post office box.  She said the order was ready to go (the day after I placed it!!).  She also said they'd made an adjustment -- the silver chin strap I ordered was the Coast Guard Auxiliary one, and she replaced it with the proper CAP silver strap.  (I didn't know there was a difference.)  I told her I'd ordered the CGAux strap because the CAP strap isn't available through the website -- Beth said she knew that and they were going to fix that.  The CAP strap is the same as the AF Honor Guard uniform chin strap.  The difference in price?  Vanguard's eating it, since they'd already charged my credit card and didn't actually have available to order the item I really needed.

I'm starting to think really nice things about Vanguard.  I really am.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

JC004

Quote from: ColonelJack on November 02, 2007, 04:12:39 PM
I'm starting to think really nice things about Vanguard.  I really am.

Don't give in!

SeattleSarge

Good luck to you, sir...

Although you'll probably get silver trousers and a strap for an admiral in the Bolivian Navy.

Too many issues with those guys.

-SeattleSarge
Ronald G. Kruml, TSgt, CAP
Public Affairs - Mission Aircrewman
Seattle Composite Squadron PCR-WA-018
http://www.capseattlesquadron.org

BigMojo

Update: Received misspelled name tag yesterday AM. Called immediately to tell them it was wrong. Correct one arrived this morning priority overnight. (Inside was a customer satisfaction survey as well...go figure...)
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

ColonelJack

Okay, you're not going to believe this one.  (I don't even believe it.)

The order was waiting for me when I got home today.

The pants are correct ... the silver chin strap is correct ... and they even threw in a challenge coin! 

What say you now?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

JC004

Quote from: ColonelJack on November 02, 2007, 10:46:32 PM

The pants are correct ... the silver chin strap is correct ... and they even threw in a challenge coin! 

What say you now?

Jack

I say check for anthrax.

RiverAux

So, I'm all set to make some snarky comments about how an order I did this week with the Coast Guard Uniform Distribution Center came in so fast and so perfect (about half the drass gear is good for CAP and CG Aux) and then I notice something that chilled me to the bone --- the CG Presidential Unit Citation ribbon I ordered was in package from VANGUARD!!!!!  Of course at that point I noticed that it was lacking the little hurricane swirly and realized that I had to have ordered it separately.  So, I'm going to blame Vanguard for screwing me over anyway. 

MIKE

Mike Johnston

JC004

Quote from: RiverAux on November 03, 2007, 12:48:18 AM
So, I'm going to blame Vanguard for screwing me over anyway. 

THAT'S the spirit!

caplegalnc

I must be living right.  My order took eight days from order to delivery.  It was complete and had no errors at all.  I had a survey sheet also. 
Chief Justice
NC-019

JCW0312

I placed my first ever order from Vanguard yesterday and thanks to this post, I feel a slight bit of hope! But I think I'll wait to get too excited.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

RogueLeader

Quote from: JCW0312 on November 15, 2007, 11:39:41 AM
I placed my first ever order from Vanguard yesterday and thanks to this post, I feel a slight bit of hope! But I think I'll wait to get too excited.

They seem to be getting better. . . . I'll still hold my breath on it though.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JCW0312

When I hear people sing praises about getting a Vanguard order in 8 days, I think I might be better off not holding my breath! I'd be blue long before my order arrived.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

mikeylikey

What say you now?

Jack

You obviously own stock in Vanguard.  Now they send challenge coins........hey Vanguard, keep the coin, charge me $3.00 shipping, get it to me in 3-4 Business days.  !!!!!!!!
What's up monkeys?

ColonelJack

Nope, no ownership of Vanguard stock.  I just got lucky.  (I do like the challenge coin, though.)

And I am a little miffed, at that ... seems the $61 credit back on the duplicate order wasn't added in yet.  (I read the wrong line on my online statement.)  So they still have my extra $61.  I wonder ... do I have to call the boys back in Chicago (!) to get it, or will they just offer me more stuff in trade?

Hmmmmm ...

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

JCW0312

Quote from: mikeylikey on November 16, 2007, 03:26:00 AM

What say you now?

Jack

You obviously own stock in Vanguard.  Now they send challenge coins........hey Vanguard, keep the coin, charge me $3.00 shipping, get it to me in 3-4 Business days.  !!!!!!!!

Well, I ordered some basic cloth insignia which should be in stock (nothing custom) and it has already been three days with my order status showing "processing".
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

star1151

Quote from: JCW0312 on November 17, 2007, 01:29:42 AM
Well, I ordered some basic cloth insignia which should be in stock (nothing custom) and it has already been three days with my order status showing "processing".

Status means nothing.  I have a shirt I've been wearing for two months and the order status still says "processing".  Maybe they're working on sending another one?

JCW0312

Quote from: star1151 on November 17, 2007, 02:06:10 AM

Status means nothing.  I have a shirt I've been wearing for two months and the order status still says "processing".  Maybe they're working on sending another one?

Maybe they're still processing the second charge to your credit card.  :o I hear they have a tendency to double bill from time to time.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

star1151

Quote from: JCW0312 on November 17, 2007, 03:13:24 AM
Quote from: star1151 on November 17, 2007, 02:06:10 AM

Maybe they're still processing the second charge to your credit card.  :o I hear they have a tendency to double bill from time to time.

That would make sense, seeing as they credited my credit card WAY to quickly for something else!

jeders

So I just made an order with Vanguard, my second so far, and every time I tried to select priority shipping ($7.00), it would stick me with the Express ($24) shipping, wtf. I wouldn't be surprised if it took 2 months to get, they send me nothing I ordered and a bunch of stuff I didn't order, and double billed me. Lets hope not.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

ColonelJack

Hooo, boy.  The plot thickens.  (Or sickens.)

I need to clear one thing up -- it was a debit card that I placed the order with.

The duplicate order was cancelled; the $61 credit/chargeback/whatever was not applied, though I was assured it would be done so immediately.

Since then, I've had that account hit on five other charges (from other sources) that added up to most of the other $61 that I didn't get back.  Yep, you guessed it ... they each bounced.  I'm stuck with $205 in bank fees because Vanguard didn't give me back that extra money when they said they would.

I've fired off an e-mail to them notifying them of the situation.  What do you think my chances of getting the $205 in bank fees back from them are? 

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

mikeylikey

Quote from: ColonelJack on November 20, 2007, 07:28:46 PM
Hooo, boy.  The plot thickens.  (Or sickens.)

I need to clear one thing up -- it was a debit card that I placed the order with.

The duplicate order was cancelled; the $61 credit/chargeback/whatever was not applied, though I was assured it would be done so immediately.

Since then, I've had that account hit on five other charges (from other sources) that added up to most of the other $61 that I didn't get back.  Yep, you guessed it ... they each bounced.  I'm stuck with $205 in bank fees because Vanguard didn't give me back that extra money when they said they would.

I've fired off an e-mail to them notifying them of the situation.  What do you think my chances of getting the $205 in bank fees back from them are? 

Jack

Actually take it up with your bank.  Explain your situation (chargebacks....."vanguards fraudulent charges" etc) and see if they will wave the fees.  If not, pay them, then find your local Better Business Bureau rep for your area, and file a grievance against Vanguard.  THEN take $50.00 to your local Magistrate/ justice of the peace/Judiciary whatever and file suit against vanguard for the $200.00 and court fees.  They will send the letter certified and you will most likely get a check within 5-7 business days, as they will just write off your 200. 

Play the legal game against these thieves!  Hell if you want to file a class action, I will be the second person to file with you. 

Vanguard TOOK $300.00 from my account, when they should have taken $30.00 about 5 months ago.  After waiting 2 weeks for them to RETURN what they stole, I had my lawyer write them.  2 days later, my lawyer gets a check from Vanguard for $390.00  (300 for me, 90 for the lawyer). 

Vanguard stinks!  There were (are) far better manufacturers we could have went with.  I would like to know who at NHQ owns vanguard stock, or has family working there.
What's up monkeys?

SarDragon

I keep telling you folks - send a paper order form, and a check, in the mail. It has worked flawlessly for me.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JCW0312

Quote from: SarDragon on November 21, 2007, 02:21:30 AM
I keep telling you folks - send a paper order form, and a check, in the mail. It has worked flawlessly for me.

You might be on to something...

Usually, I like to shy away from mail payments for orders because it adds time to receiving your order (the few extra days your order spends in the mail). But, with Vanguard you can expect at least a week (up to a year  >:D) for processing, so what's a few extra days to increase the odds they'll get it right?

An update on my order: I received it today (7 days after ordering) and everything was correct - no shortages, but no extras. And no challenge coin  :(. I guess I'll survive. (At least my credit card was only billed once [so far]). One thing I thought was odd was that I chose and paid for Priority Mail s/h, but they shipped it UPS 2 day air.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

ColonelJack

Now, more of the story:

Wednesday, I received a call from a Mr. McCain or McClain, who identified himself as the general manager of Vanguard East.  He apologized up and down about the screw-up with my double-billed order, and assured me the credit to my account had been processed.  (It showed up in my account Friday.)

I asked him about the hefty bank fees I'd encountered because of the screw-up, and he said if I e-mail him a copy of the bank statement that indicates them, I'll get them back as well.

He assured me that he had chewed out whoever needed chewing out, saying it should have been done the day it was promised.  I appreciate that, even if it isn't 100% true, because it made me feel better about dealing with the company.

I'll post again here when my $205 in bank fees are refunded to me -- I've already dispatched the e-mail with a scan of the bank statement.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

mikeylikey

^ I would also think about another bank.  Those FEES are monstrous.  PLUS if they are not understanding enough to waive the fees (assuming you don't regularly bounce checks, or overdraw) then they SUCK.  Customer service from your financial institution should be better than other places.  You can easily transfer to another bank, and you should make your bank aware of that.

Anyway....good luck!  I would assume that if you don't see the money by Tuesday, you will never see it.   :(
What's up monkeys?

ColonelJack

And to conclude the story ...

The $205 in bank fees I incurred due to Vanguard's not refunding the duplicate order has now been deposited in my account.  I am made whole and am very pleased with the way Vanguard handled the situation.  (Of course, they caused the situation in the first place, but what can you do?)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

JCW0312

You're a lucky man. I wouldn't have forseen it ending that way.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

afgeo4

What say you now?

Jack

I say don't judge customer service and business quality based on individual experiences. Base it on the overall picture and consistency of service. Just because a LtCol received his order (after a screw-up) promptly and with an extra toy, doesn't mean that the hundreds of other orders that get the bad treatment are excused.

My truth is... for every 5 orders I have placed, I have received 1 order that was to my satisfaction with the product, procedure, and service. Notice, I don't even consider the price here. I too work in retail and if my company satisfied just one customer out of 5 it would be bankrupt, not posting significant profits on wall street (yesterday).
GEORGE LURYE

JCW0312

Quote from: afgeo4 on December 01, 2007, 03:27:39 AM

What say you now?

Jack

I say don't judge customer service and business quality based on individual experiences. Base it on the overall picture and consistency of service. Just because a LtCol received his order (after a screw-up) promptly and with an extra toy, doesn't mean that the hundreds of other orders that get the bad treatment are excused.

My truth is... for every 5 orders I have placed, I have received 1 order that was to my satisfaction with the product, procedure, and service. Notice, I don't even consider the price here. I too work in retail and if my company satisfied just one customer out of 5 it would be bankrupt, not posting significant profits on wall street (yesterday).

Apparently your company doesn't have the "edge" Vanguard does. By edge I mean "almost a monopoly". Coloneljack is a lucky guy as this is definitely not the standard for Vanguard's customer service. Unless we're seeing a new leaf turned over (doubtful).
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

SDF_Specialist

Have any of you placed an order with Vanguard only to get the message when you try to confirm the order that there was an "AVS Mismatch"? It's telling me...MEEE..... that I've incorrectly entered my billing address; which is coincidentally the same as my shipping address.
SDF_Specialist

mikeylikey

^ Wow Vanguard now employees CIA-like data mining computers to verify our locations.  Great, just great!
What's up monkeys?

RogueLeader

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 05, 2007, 12:54:14 AM
^ Wow Vanguard now employees CIA-like data mining computers to verify our locations.  Great, just great!

Now we know what they were doing with all the extra money they've been charging us. . . .
[/drift]
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

mikeylikey

;D    Seriously though......the customer service on the military side of Vanguard is great.  Heck, I bought a flag patch at MCSS 4 years ago, and left post with it to take to the cleaners.  When I opened the package it was totally chewed up, as in not wearable.  I was P-OFFED, took it back to MCSS, then called Vanguard.  They actually sent me a check for the price of the flag (like $2.50 + $5.00 for troubles)

Try and get that on the CAP side of Vanguard today.
What's up monkeys?

RogueLeader

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 05, 2007, 05:23:05 AM
;D    Seriously though......the customer service on the military side of Vanguard is great.  Heck, I bought a flag patch at MCSS 4 years ago, and left post with it to take to the cleaners.  When I opened the package it was totally chewed up, as in not wearable.  I was P-OFFED, took it back to MCSS, then called Vanguard.  They actually sent me a check for the price of the flag (like $2.50 + $5.00 for troubles)

Try and get that on the CAP side of Vanguard today.

They didn't know if you were Special Forces, and didn't want to take the off chance that you were.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

mikeylikey

^ Haha........seriously, you will find some people at VNG that are decent and want to work with you, and there are others that have no idea what the word RETAIL means.  OR other words like service, compassion, empathy etc.  Or the phrase "The customer is always right".

But I have begun to notice in the "big BOX" retailers......their customer service is starting to suck too.  Reference Best Buy, Walmart, Circuit City etc.
What's up monkeys?

RogueLeader

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 05, 2007, 06:16:36 PM

But I have begun to notice in the "big BOX" retailers......their customer service is starting to suck too.  Reference Best Buy, Walmart, Circuit City etc.

1. It's Wal-Mart
2. I work there.
3.  My CS does NOT stink.  It's rated very high

4. Just teasing.

[/drift]
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

star1151

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 05, 2007, 06:16:36 PM
^ Haha........seriously, you will find some people at VNG that are decent and want to work with you, and there are others that have no idea what the word RETAIL means.  OR other words like service, compassion, empathy etc.  Or the phrase "The customer is always right".
You know, it's odd.  I've never ordered anything without issues, but everyone I've talked to there (and there have been a few) has been very friendly and polite and seem to want to help.  Except that I shouldn't need to have to call them in the first place....

thp

I ordered a cadet binder from Vanguard. I got one, but it said it was backordered on the list. A week later they sent me a second - it was a $40 Binder.  ;D

mikeylikey

^ Did you send it back?  No need to answer.   >:D
What's up monkeys?