"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JayT

What size is it?

It looks practical.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SarDragon

They were very practical, and comfortable. They went away not long after I joined CAP

The pic is really bad, because the color is way off (too much red). That's supposed to be blue.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

wingnut

Actually I remember my dad wearing it in CAWG, it looks very sharp, less formal but you can fly in it and wear all the ribbons on the outside, looks like crap on a big gut, but in the old days the height weight thing was less strict.

By the way, in those CAP days most of the pilots are warrant Officers

alamrcn

Either they could never get the USAF blue to stay in the wool fabric, or people just kept washing them incorrectly.

Almost every 50s and 60s blue uniform I see is on the verge of "denim" in color.

I like the "Ike" jacket, very Movie Star!

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

JohnKachenmeister

The Ike jacket was around in the 60's, but was not authorized for cadets. 
Another former CAP officer

CAP_truth

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on October 25, 2007, 02:49:22 PM

Sorry I must disagree with you. When I was a cadet I wore the Ike jacket Which was in late 1961.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

SarDragon

As did I in 1964, and maybe into 1965.

The Ike jacket was not in the 1968 Uni reg.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

dogboy

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on October 25, 2007, 02:49:22 PM

I also wore it as a Cadet 1963-1965. The jackets were AF surplus.

I think the reason Ike jackets were eliminated from both the Army and Air Force is that it doesn't look good unless the wearer is pretty slender. The peacetime military, especially in the 1950's and early '60, and before mandatory weight limits, was chubbier.

O-Rex

Cool uniform in it's day: yes.  Practical by today's standards: probably not.

Service dress jackets get little wear these days: even Pentagon Personnel are wearing ACU/ABU/MARPAT's to work nowadays.

You could look at it this way: Ike jackets have been replaced by windbreakers (USAF, USN, USCG & Army enlisted) as well as tanker jackets(Army Officer & USMC-All ranks.)

Somewhere in another thread, someone mentioned that the Army Officer's black tanker jacket (also the CAP Corporate windbreaker) now has a bi-swing back: is this true?

Major Carrales

Quote from: O-Rex on October 29, 2007, 01:14:28 AM
You could look at it this way: Ike jackets have been replaced by windbreakers (USAF, USN, USCG & Army enlisted) as well as tanker jackets(Army Officer & USMC-All ranks.)

I agree, I like the look and wear of these types of jackets that are sort of reminiscent of an Ike jacket. 

I would go so far as to say that one of the  CAP uniform options we discussed back before the invention of the Corporate Service Coat was to simply put a nametag and ribbons on the light weight jacket and use it as a service coat replacement.  It would have saved money for many and prevented many ancillary debates had that been done.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

pixelwonk

riffraff

Guys,
That's an Army-issue garment not the blue USAF version. The color shown is correct. Beginning in 1946, these jackets had green satin/rayon linings. 1944 thru 1946 had brownish rayon for officers and a rough khaki cloth for enlisted ranks.  Remember, CAP was part of the Army Air Forces prior to 1947. USAF itself didn't transition into blue until a few years after that. I would venture that the khaki/Army garb was in use with CAP for years afterwards.

Quote from: SarDragon on October 25, 2007, 06:28:32 AM
They were very practical, and comfortable. They went away not long after I joined CAP

The pic is really bad, because the color is way off (too much red). That's supposed to be blue.

SarDragon

OK, works for me. The brown stuff was way before my time.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Grumpy

I was a cadet from 1959 to 1963 and wore the Ike Jacket.  It was AF Blue and the pants (trouser) pockets had flaps over the hip pockets.

I just thought the color was off in this picture.  I didn't pick up on the brown color.

Nomex Maximus

About a third of my squadron's members currently WEAR those to meetings...
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

Grumpy

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on November 13, 2007, 05:31:24 PM

What, Ike jackets?

Major Carrales

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on November 13, 2007, 05:31:24 PM

I've got one haning at our unit's CAP Station in Kingsville, Texas.  it is there for historical value. 

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Grumpy

The military hasn't worn Ike jackets since the late fifties.