CAP Senior NCO Insignia

Started by thefischNX01, September 07, 2007, 05:55:01 AM

ddelaney103

Quote from: Hawk200 on September 13, 2007, 02:42:49 AM

Point taken. We could stand to toughen up some of our officer training, and limit some of the more advanced promotions. You con't go straight to NCO grades going into any branch of service, but officer grades can be achieved easily with having certain background and training.

Well, yes and no.  Most of those professional appointments aren't "full officers," (what the military calls Line Officers).  They still get salutes, but their ability to command is limited.

Hawk200

Quote from: ddelaney103 on September 13, 2007, 02:47:29 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on September 13, 2007, 02:42:49 AM

Point taken. We could stand to toughen up some of our officer training, and limit some of the more advanced promotions. You con't go straight to NCO grades going into any branch of service, but officer grades can be achieved easily with having certain background and training.

Well, yes and no.  Most of those professional appointments aren't "full officers," (what the military calls Line Officers).  They still get salutes, but their ability to command is limited.

I very much agree. I just feel that CAP officers need more leadership and structured initial training than what they get now. Said it before, but four hour video and new clothes do not an officer make. I'm not advocating a CAP officer program that would be an educational equivalent to a military officer, but it could stand to get built up a little more.

I still think some NCO insignia specific to CAP should be produced. Our officers have epaulettes in grey, wouldn't be too hard to have good ol' Vanguard whip up some in a different color. Just make them grey background using different thread. Not hard to do. And it ought to allow us to put "U.S." on their lapels as well. I think the silver name tag with "Civil Air Patrol" on it would be a fine minor distinction from the active duty side. Put the Senior hat device on the flight cap, and done. Simple, distinctive, without excess. Easy.

alamrcn

Before I add (or detract heh) to this thread, let me first state that I am not nor ever have been a member of any of the armed services. I was turned down at MEPS for having dry skin...... ya, I know!

If given the choice, I would prefer to have been a CAP NCO than an officer. Because I do not have a degree or further professional training (outside CAP) beyond highschool, I feel kinda silly wearing wearing officer grade sometimes.

Also, I feel I fit the "persona" of an NCO better - however misconstrued on my part of what a CO is, and what an NCO is on my part. I feel I'm a good leader and respected by my superiors and subordinates alike. But I also feel that I am a poor manager and administrator.

I dunno... "ad nauseum" I guess. But I would really like to wear NCO Insignia!

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota