CAP phase-in time for ABU's

Started by RogueLeader, July 05, 2007, 05:07:33 AM

What do you think that the phase-in times for the ABU's be for CAP?

2-3 yrs
25 (23.1%)
3-4 yrs
13 (12%)
4-5 yrs.
20 (18.5%)
5-7yrs
23 (21.3%)
8-10 years
11 (10.2%)
10+
16 (14.8%)

Total Members Voted: 108

ddelaney103

Quote from: Eclipse on July 05, 2007, 06:30:24 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on July 05, 2007, 07:15:43 AM
Quote from: floridacyclist on July 05, 2007, 06:18:51 AM
Where would cadets get used uniforms from? I kind of like being able to pay $10 for a complete uniform, especially with 4 cadets and 2 officers in the house.

FREE UNIFORM PROGRAM.  Issue BBDU instead of blues.....it's what the cadets wear most of the time anyways. 

Cadets wear Blue BDU's most of the time?   Where?

He's talking about that many Cadets are more likely to wear field/work uniforms rather than service uniforms.

Hawk200

Quote from: SeattleSarge on July 05, 2007, 06:01:46 PM
Never.

I don't think BDU's should be worn either.  Camouflage utility/fatigue uniforms are for active/reserve/guard military personnel.  Sorry folks, but that ain't us.

Been there, done that...

-SeattleSarge

How long is it going to take people to remember why we wear the Air Force's utilities?

Besides, don't like them? Are you excercising your option not to wear them?

Hawk200

Quote from: Psicorp on July 05, 2007, 06:17:49 PM
At least the AF chevrons would look better on the BBDU.  Do you happen to have a pic you can post of that?

Here's a link to a photo on the Iowa Wing website: http://www.iawg.cap.gov/images/2006/Sep%20Drill/transportationnco.JPG

They do look good on the BBDU.

captrncap

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 05, 2007, 07:53:58 PM
Quote from: Psicorp on July 05, 2007, 06:17:49 PM
At least the AF chevrons would look better on the BBDU.  Do you happen to have a pic you can post of that?

Here's a link to a photo on the Iowa Wing website: http://www.iawg.cap.gov/images/2006/Sep%20Drill/transportationnco.JPG

They do look good on the BBDU.

Sure, they look like the Thunderbird NCO staff.

shorning

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 05, 2007, 07:50:07 PM

While I'm not the OP:  Yes.  Even though I meet the Air Force standards.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on July 05, 2007, 06:30:24 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on July 05, 2007, 07:15:43 AM
Quote from: floridacyclist on July 05, 2007, 06:18:51 AM
Where would cadets get used uniforms from? I kind of like being able to pay $10 for a complete uniform, especially with 4 cadets and 2 officers in the house.

FREE UNIFORM PROGRAM.  Issue BBDU instead of blues.....it's what the cadets wear most of the time anyways. 

Cadets wear Blue BDU's most of the time?   Where?

I mean BDU's....if we switch to BBDU we switch the free uniform program to the field uniform vice the service dress.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SeattleSarge

How long is it going to take people to remember why we wear the Air Force's utilities?

Yes, I do choose to not to wear it... out of respect for my friends and relatives who are still serving. 

-SeattleSarge
Ronald G. Kruml, TSgt, CAP
Public Affairs - Mission Aircrewman
Seattle Composite Squadron PCR-WA-018
http://www.capseattlesquadron.org

LtCol White

Quote from: SeattleSarge on July 05, 2007, 11:40:28 PM

Yes, I do choose to not to wear it... out of respect for my friends and relatives who are still serving. 

-SeattleSarge

How is wearing CAP BDU's disrepectful of servicemen overseas or anywhere???
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

jb512

Quote from: SeattleSarge on July 05, 2007, 06:01:46 PM
Never.

I don't think BDU's should be worn either.  Camouflage utility/fatigue uniforms are for active/reserve/guard military personnel.  Sorry folks, but that ain't us.

Been there, done that...

-SeattleSarge

With due respect, Sarge, the BDU uniform is not trademarked for military personnel.  To imply that CAP members wearing them properly brings disrespect to the U.S. military is slightly offensive.  It is a utility uniform that we are authorized to wear, it serves a purpose, and is readily and economically available for our personnel.  No one is pretending to be anything that they aren't (well, most of us) and we are clearly identified as our own organization when we wear them.

You say that you choose to wear the blue version, but I don't see how the color has anything to do with the durability and usefullness of it in the field.  Jeans and a t-shirt wouldn't be a viable alternative.

SeattleSarge

Quote from: LtCol White on July 06, 2007, 12:17:24 AM

How is wearing CAP BDU's disrespectful of servicemen overseas or anywhere???

This is my opinion and mine alone.  Forged from my own military service and experience.

A "battlefield" uniform is worn by warriors.  The right to wear it is earned through training, qualification, experience, and military service.  To me, it is a badge of honor like other awards and decorations given to soldiers, sailors, and airmen.

I mean no offense to those of you that do follow CAP directives and wear BDUs.  I'm sure all of you wear that uniform correctly and proudly.

I however, will not.  Too many friends of mine are in harms way right now, wearing that type of uniform, risking all everyday, for me to wear the symbol from my years past and be able to look them in the eye when, hopefully, they come home.

You can choose to disagree with my reasoning.  That's fine.  But frankly this issue is very personal to me and your opinions will not change my decision.

-SeattleSarge

Hawk200

Quote from: SeattleSarge on July 06, 2007, 02:14:00 AM

This is my opinion and mine alone.  Forged from my own military service and experience.

A "battlefield" uniform is worn by warriors.  The right to wear it is earned through training, qualification, experience, and military service.  To me, it is a badge of honor like other awards and decorations given to soldiers, sailors, and airmen.

I mean no offense to those of you that do follow CAP directives and wear BDUs.  I'm sure all of you wear that uniform correctly and proudly.

I however, will not.  Too many friends of mine are in harms way right now, wearing that type of uniform, risking all everyday, for me to wear the symbol from my years past and be able to look them in the eye when, hopefully, they come home.

You can choose to disagree with my reasoning.  That's fine.  But frankly this issue is very personal to me and your opinions will not change my decision.

-SeattleSarge

I am currently a military member and, per my creed, a warrior. Do you think I should not wear the BDU's in CAP? I have the training, qualification, experience and am still serving. Do I qualify?

jb512

Quote from: SeattleSarge on July 06, 2007, 02:14:00 AM

-SeattleSarge

I think I can speak for everyone when I say that I respect your service to your nation and its citizens.  Some of us have also served or currently serve in positions of service to the same.

The battlefield has long served as a proving ground for technology, bravery, and sacrifice since the beginning of man and we take our hats off to those who have entered it.  I know that there are people who will roll their eyes when they see a BDU uniform with a Civil Air Patrol tape over the pocket, but all we can do is try and represent our commitment to volunteer to help others no matter what color our shirt and pants happen to be.

SeattleSarge

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 06, 2007, 02:48:35 AM

I am currently a military member and, per my creed, a warrior. Do you think I should not wear the BDU's in CAP? I have the training, qualification, experience and am still serving. Do I qualify?

Sir, that decision is completely yours. 

-SeattleSarge

Hawk200

Quote from: SeattleSarge on July 06, 2007, 02:53:25 AM

-SeattleSarge

I was looking for an answer. In your opinion, do I qualify? This is not an attempt to flame you, it is for the purpose of establishing the boundaries of your opinion. I may ask other questions, but I will still respect your opinion.

SeattleSarge

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 06, 2007, 03:08:15 AM
[I was looking for an answer. In your opinion, do I qualify? This is not an attempt to flame you, it is for the purpose of establishing the boundaries of your opinion. I may ask other questions, but I will still respect your opinion.

From how you described yourself, it certainly sounds like you've earned the right.  Wether you choose to wear it or not should be a personal decision.

-SeattleSarge

lordmonar

My stance is that it is an either or sort of a situation.

Either we all wear USAF style uniforms or we all wear Corporate Style uniforms.

My first choice would be USAF style....but since we have given the USAF the veto on that we have two choices...one....telll the USAF (very politely) to take a hike and everyone wears the USAF style uniform or....we just tell the over weight, long haired, non conformists that we don't really want their assistance.

My vote is for option 1.

Alternatively we just all switch to corporates.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jb512

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 06, 2007, 03:08:15 AM
Quote from: SeattleSarge on July 06, 2007, 02:53:25 AM

-SeattleSarge

I was looking for an answer. In your opinion, do I qualify? This is not an attempt to flame you, it is for the purpose of establishing the boundaries of your opinion. I may ask other questions, but I will still respect your opinion.

I'd like to provide my own answer as well...

I spent a few years of my youth in that uniform and while I was never in a "battlefield", I had a few achievements and milestones that served me well into adulthood.  I don't think that the name on the tape means as much as the person who is wearing it.  I wish that I had continued on further in CAP as a cadet, but my school's JROTC program was much more enticing at the time and I switched my focus to work my way up to being a C/Lt Col in that program.

My point is that, as we all know, it's not the uniform that makes the person, it's the one who is wearing it.  My whole reason for re-joining CAP is to share those ideals with my children and with the youth who are now where I was and to encourage them to take as much pride in their future as I did.

mikeylikey

AF members will have to help me out with this but, when I was overseas, the AF members who I worked alongside some days wore ACU's.  The Army Wears ACU's, the AF has mandated the new combat uniform to be worn by all AF members going to Iraq and Afghanistan to be the new ABU.  In theory BDU's are no longer the combat uniform that they once were.  

There is no disrespect in a CAP member wearing the BDU.  If we were to go off on SeattleSarges belief that we should not wear the uniform worn by military members, then we should not wear the AF style Blues, nor the flight suits or even the blue BDU's.  Color does not change what a uniform is.  The Blue BDU's are very similar to those worn by select groups in the military.  We have seen pictures of them here on this board.  

Like it or not, we are part of the Air Force (a very small part, which changes on a what seems like a daily basis).  We have been given the privilege of wearing a uniform that closely resembles that of a military service.  It was not a choice made lightly.  We earned it (as an organization) through the hard work and sacrifices made by our founding members, WHO DID GIVE UP THIER LIVES in service to their country, through the Civil Air Patrol.

Our fellow members continue to sacrifice for this country.  We may not be overseas, but we provide a service none the less.  

As a person who has served YEARS in IRAQ and AFGHANISTAN, I have no problem wearing CAP BDU's.  Not because of my military service, but because it is a privilege and a right that is equal to the right to wear my countires uniform in the military.  

Lets not forget to mention that it is also good to look uniform sometimes.  How often do we have a group of 20 members in BDU's and 1 member in BBDU's?  I think some people wear the BBDU's to stand out from everyone else.  

:-*
What's up monkeys?

SeattleSarge

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 06, 2007, 03:26:39 AM
 If we were to go off on SeattleSarges belief that we should not wear the uniform worn by military members, then we should not wear the AF style Blues, nor the flight suits or even the blue BDU's.  

Excuse me,  but I didn't say "we" should not wear, I said "I will not wear". 

My comments were an expression of personal belief, not a call to action of any kind.

Sir, you a certainly entitled to not share my opinion.  I do respect yours.

-SeattleSarge

Becks

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 06, 2007, 03:26:39 AM
AF members will have to help me out with this but, when I was overseas, the AF members who I worked alongside some days wore ACU's.  The Army Wears ACU's, the AF has mandated the new combat uniform to be worn by all AF members going to Iraq and Afghanistan to be the new ABU.  In theory BDU's are no longer the combat uniform that they once were. 

:-*
Correct if you are attached to an Army unit most times you will be wearing ACU's regardless of branch.

BBATW