Open to advice regarding my new adventure as a SM working Cadet Programs

Started by RiChArD7032, February 09, 2018, 02:19:20 AM

RiChArD7032

Let me start by giving you some background on me.  Former Utah Wing Cadet.  I started late in my CAP career and only made it to Mitchell before I had to switch to SM.  I worked for a bit as a SM, but eventually, life took over.  More recently, I'm AD Air Force and been in just over 17 years.  I'm ready to jump back in and try to live up to the awesome SM's I once had when I was in CAP. 

As I've begun to find out, lots has changed in the program since I last was in.  I've begun to read the Regs and get familiar with those changes. 

What I could use from you all, is any advice or lessons learned.  I'd like to lesson the mistakes I will make and learn from those who have been down this road. 

Thanks in advance.

Fester

Quote from: RiChArD7032 on February 09, 2018, 02:19:20 AM
Let me start by giving you some background on me.  Former Utah Wing Cadet.  I started late in my CAP career and only made it to Mitchell before I had to switch to SM.  I worked for a bit as a SM, but eventually, life took over.  More recently, I'm AD Air Force and been in just over 17 years.  I'm ready to jump back in and try to live up to the awesome SM's I once had when I was in CAP. 

As I've begun to find out, lots has changed in the program since I last was in.  I've begun to read the Regs and get familiar with those changes. 

What I could use from you all, is any advice or lessons learned.  I'd like to lesson the mistakes I will make and learn from those who have been down this road. 

Thanks in advance.

We are both taking the same journey at the same time.  Much has changed in the last 20 years.

My Squadron CC is very ES-centric.  So he's asked me to help keep track of SQTRs and to do what I can to get all cadets GES, Comm and GTM3 qualified.  Which seems to be a worthy goal since all of the cadets seem to have that interest in common.

For myself, I'm also wanting to focus on monitoring promotion process and helping to give a gentle push to those who aren't promoting as fast as they can.  Especially with everything being online now, I think that's a necessary step to remind them that they are eligible and to do what I can to support them to accomplish whatever needs to be done.  As a former Eaker Award recipient, I fully believe that the farther you get in the CP, the more impact it will have on your life, and the more fun you will have.

I guess my best advice is two-fold: find what it is you want to give and figure out how to give it.  And the other is to read, read, read.  I started reading regs and pamphlets and info even before I even attended a meeting and expressing my interest in coming back to the fold.  And as soon as I was active in eServices, I completed all the tasks I had to do (Level I, CPPT Basic, etc...) and dove into taking all the courses and quizzes I need to get a jumpstart on my GES, ICUT, MRO and GTM3.

Good luck, welcome back and don't hesitate to reach out if there's anything I can do for you!
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Jester

PA Guy

Quote from: Jester on February 09, 2018, 04:58:03 AM
Recommend getting into a TLC Basic class as soon as you can.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

chuckmilam

Quote from: Jester on February 09, 2018, 04:58:03 AM
Recommend getting into a TLC Basic class as soon as you can.

Second  (third?) this.  Long time CAP member and Mitchell cadet here, I found the TLC course well worth the time and quite enlightening.  Much has changed since my high school-aged cadet days. 

abdsp51

Find what you want to do and do it.  Do as much PD as you can and don't allow others to coerce you into areas you dont want to do.

RiChArD7032

Great advice everyone!!  I appreciate it.  Most important thing...know what I can do and can't do.  Once I complete my level 1, I'll jump on the TLC and Cadet protection.