CAP Pilots - Flying Shoes

Started by SLOWR426, November 17, 2017, 11:39:59 PM

chuckmilam

Quote from: SLOWR426 on November 17, 2017, 11:39:59 PM
I just achieved TMP, doing my Form 5 wearing zip-up tactical boots per the Corporate uniform.  They made rudder work a bit of a pain.
It's possible you need to change your boots or size up.  I had a particular work boot I was very fond of that apparently changed their pattern at some point.  The newest ones I bought  (my fourth pair) would press a seam against my inner ankle bone and make wearing them agony--and they wouldn't "break in," no matter what I tried.  I eventually switch to a different boot.  Problem solved. 

Live2Learn

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 22, 2017, 11:31:31 AM
There is a lot of credibility lost on the "safety" argument when I can wear tennis shoes and fly in the blue polo combo... but if I wear a flight suit I have to be in leather boots.  As far as y comment about wear something that "looks like a boot" there are probably hundreds of selections out there that meet the requirements of CAP uniform regs

I don't see any credibility issues.  Maybe issues of judgement and situational awareness, but not safety.  There is no question that nomex and boots are "safer" should an off airport landing occur, or one on airport that ends badly.  If a pilot choses to wear polyester and plastic ... well enough said. 

About 21 years ago a CAP pilot took off on a "proficiency" flight in a R/W/B C182 wearing shoes, thin socks, and polyester slacks, flight suit, and jacket.  He encountered ice, made a textbook off airport landing (in snow) and survived about 24 hours ... rescue was delayed because of a spring blizzard.  Dress for the crash, potential post crash fire, and post landing environment.  While that accident was 'pre-GPS', a 406ELT & ADS/B wouldn't have made much difference.  Aircraft and ground teams don't do well in blizzard conditions.  "Be Prepared" is a good motto for CAP, as well as Boy Scouts.   https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/ReportGeneratorFile.ashx?EventID=20001207X03205&AKey=1&RType=Final&IType=GA

OldGuy

Quote from: Live2Learn on November 23, 2017, 12:12:37 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on November 22, 2017, 11:31:31 AM
There is a lot of credibility lost on the "safety" argument when I can wear tennis shoes and fly in the blue polo combo... but if I wear a flight suit I have to be in leather boots.  As far as y comment about wear something that "looks like a boot" there are probably hundreds of selections out there that meet the requirements of CAP uniform regs

I don't see any credibility issues.  Maybe issues of judgement and situational awareness, but not safety.  There is no question that nomex and boots are "safer" should an off airport landing occur, or one on airport that ends badly.  If a pilot choses to wear polyester and plastic ... well enough said. 

About 21 years ago a CAP pilot took off on a "proficiency" flight in a R/W/B C182 wearing shoes, thin socks, and polyester slacks, flight suit, and jacket.  He encountered ice, made a textbook off airport landing (in snow) and survived about 24 hours ... rescue was delayed because of a spring blizzard.  Dress for the crash, potential post crash fire, and post landing environment.  While that accident was 'pre-GPS', a 406ELT & ADS/B wouldn't have made much difference.  Aircraft and ground teams don't do well in blizzard conditions.  "Be Prepared" is a good motto for CAP, as well as Boy Scouts.   https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/ReportGeneratorFile.ashx?EventID=20001207X03205&AKey=1&RType=Final&IType=GA
Thanks. A great reminder. R.I.P.