Main Menu

Ribbons

Started by ghost22, October 05, 2017, 01:29:13 AM

ghost22

Hi.  I have a question about ribbons on Service Dress Uniform.  What do you do if you do not have all of your ribbons that you have, do you just wear your one current one for you rank, or do you just wear the ribbons you have, or do not wear them at all?

Abby.L

Depends. Senior members are allowed to wear "All, or some," for the service coat, so can wear whatever they want, realistically speaking. In terms of cadets, the requirement is that "All or some," are worn, but it is specified to the point that you are only allowed to forego wear of all but the highest achievement ribbon, and are otherwise required to wear all. This just means that you must wear the highest achievement ribbon and any other ribbons, then opt to add your additional achievement ribbons.

This changes on the shirt, where you are not required to wear any ribbons, so can forego ribbons entirely.

What does one do? Well, strictly speaking, wear what you have for your rank, then add on prior ranks' ribbons(As you see fit), and your other ribbons. If you do not have your current achievement's ribbon, then I would wear what you have until you can get an updated rack(For service coat) or not wear any at all(Blues shirt).
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

kwe1009

If you do not have the required ribbons, is there a requirement for you to wear your service coat?  The service coat really should only be worn for special occasions not at regular meetings.  I know that there are a lot of cadets (and some Senior Members) who feel that it must be worn at every squadron meeting but that just isn't the case. 

If you don't have the required items to correctly wear it, I would recommend that you do not wear it at all.  As Levi said, if you are just missing some of your previous achievements then you are OK.  Here is what CAPM 39-1 says about ribbons on the service coat, "Cadets may choose to reduce the height of their ribbon bar by removing all cadet achievement ribbons but their highest Cadet Program achievement ribbon. All other earned CAP ribbons and devices must still be worn."

McDaddy2003

There isn't anything wrong with wearing service coats at every meeting. Per AFI 36-2903 it is considered "service" dress. Under Gen. Norton Schwartz, 2008-2011, every Monday was designated "blues Mondays". It came down to practicality. Coats were worn mostly in winter months to add warmth.

Stonewall

It all comes down to making good, practical decisions. If you have been in CAP 2 years and haven't acquired your Red Service ribbon yet, it doesn't mean you are forbidden from wearing blues with the ribbons you have. It happens in the military regularly; someone is awarded an achievement medal and has yet to add it to their rack. If they need to wear blues (Class A) then they'd just go without their achievement ribbon until they get it added.  Trust me, NO ONE will notice, and if they do, won't make a big deal out of it.
Serving since 1987.

kwe1009

Quote from: McDaddy2003 on October 11, 2017, 06:14:19 AM
There isn't anything wrong with wearing service coats at every meeting. Per AFI 36-2903 it is considered "service" dress. Under Gen. Norton Schwartz, 2008-2011, every Monday was designated "blues Mondays". It came down to practicality. Coats were worn mostly in winter months to add warmth.

The are multiple outer garments that are worn when it is cold and you are wearing blues.  The service coat is not usually one of them unless the person doesn't have the sweater, overcoat, lightweight jacket, etc.  Yes the USAF used to have blues Monday and some units still have a designated day to wear blues.  Before Desert Storm, most USAF members who worked in offices wore blues nearly every day.  Even during that time I don't recall seeing anyone wearing their service coat unless they were getting promoted or getting an award.

I disagree that there "isn't anything wrong with wearing service coats at every meeting."  First, does every cadet have a service coat?  If not, what message are you trying to send by having some cadets more dressed up than others?  What is the purpose of wearing the service coat at a regular meeting?  Squadron meetings should have a UOD that is the same for everyone.

Luis R. Ramos

Although I do not wear my blues anymore for weight reasons, I agree with McDaddy in this issue.

Are bankers who wear the business coat trying to send a message to his coworkers that do not? As a public school teacher I have seen the entire gamut from teachers dressed like they are in their house watering the garden to teachers wearing a business or sports coat. Are those teachers "trying to send a message" to his colleagues? No.

Society has changed. Now we do not send a message like we did once ago when we dress. This is why we do not need a hat with the Corporate uniform. Why we do not need a hat when we wear the polo.

Yes we dress as told, and keep our uniform clean and serviceable, whichever we wear.

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Stonewall

Simply, you wear the uniform of the day as dictated by the commander or person in charge of an activity.

If the UoD is short sleeve blues, no tie, then no one should show up in a service coat. It doesn't matter what an individual thinks looks better or more appropriate, it only matters what the UoD is (or the corporate equivalent).

It really is that simple.
Serving since 1987.

NIN

Actually, here's the later version with a bunch of things fix0red.

EDIT: But what Stonewall says applies, COMPLETELY.  If the UOD is short-sleeve blues, show up in short-sleeve blues.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on October 11, 2017, 05:21:09 PM
Are bankers who wear the business coat trying to send a message to his coworkers that do not?

Yes, they are.

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on October 11, 2017, 05:21:09 PM
Society has changed. Now we do not send a message like we did once ago when we dress.

I can assure you, the way you dress sends a message, whether "society" wants to acknowledge that or not,
your dress and appearance speaks volumes, and just because some corporations and sectors have
become less formal, there are plenty more that require and expect a jacket and tie every day.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

Quote from: NIN on October 11, 2017, 07:14:03 PM

EDIT: But what Stonewall says applies, COMPLETELY.  If the UOD is short-sleeve blues, show up in short-sleeve blues.

Agreed! Only of course if you are compliant with 39-1 USAF style restrictions, of course... right? Otherwise, corporate equivalents.

V/r
Spam

Stonewall

Quote from: Spam on October 11, 2017, 09:59:03 PM
Quote from: NIN on October 11, 2017, 07:14:03 PM

Agreed! Only of course if you are compliant with 39-1 USAF style restrictions, of course... right? Otherwise, corporate equivalents.

V/r
Spam

That is exactly what I stated in my post. Corporate uniform as the alternative if you do not meet standards for the military style.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Quote from: Stonewall on October 11, 2017, 10:21:12 PMCorporate uniform as the alternative if you do not meet standards for the military style.

If you don't meet weight, it's not an "alternative", it's the "only".

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Quote from: Eclipse on October 11, 2017, 10:36:53 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on October 11, 2017, 10:21:12 PMCorporate uniform as the alternative if you do not meet standards for the military style.

Perhaps the correct word should have been equivalent. But pretty sure you know what I meant.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Quote from: Stonewall on October 11, 2017, 10:47:22 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 11, 2017, 10:36:53 PM

Perhaps the correct word should have been equivalent. But pretty sure you know what I meant.

I did, but it's not "equivalent", which is the point of this thread.

Anyone ever forced to participate in a military ceremony wearing the Real Estate jacket while surrounded by peers and subordinates
in their finest and shiniest plummage knows exactly what I'm saying.  It's only made worse if someone wearing an eagle
shows up with their buttons locked and loaded, acting as if no one notices.

We have members on this board who regularly quote Napoleon in regards to the things people will
do for a small piece of cloth, yet CAP denies (arguably) at least 1/2 the adult membership the opportunity
to display that same cloth.  Members who are in every way "equal" to their peers and subordinates,
yet somehow "not" - all due to aesthetics.

No one can say CAP can't have it both ways, because they do, it's just not right.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

And we're done here. This has gotten so far off the tracks that I can no longer find them.

Click.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret