Main Menu

Top Gun: Maverick

Started by Eclipse, July 19, 2019, 12:03:57 AM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

33 years ago Civil Air Patrol cadets around the world instantly wanted to become fighter pilots as Lt Pete "Maverick" Mitchell introduced them to the F-14 Tomcat.

This time next year, will cadets of 2020 be as excited as the cadets of 1986?

The countdown begins...
Serving since 1987.

PHall

Trailer looked interesting. Hope the movie can deliver.

Spam

Summer of '86... still a cadet... first date to take a girl (now my wife of 28 years) to see Top Gun... ended up as the lead F-14 cockpit engineer for NAVAIR, working with the boys at Miramar (and now, in north Nevada). I ended up working with Yak and a couple other guys who advised on The Movie and still run into former CAP cadets my age who entered the service partly because of that film. Small world.

Hope they don't mess it up, like so many sequels/remakes these days.

As to whether the cadets of today will be excited, who knows? Part of the allure was killin' Commies, and today we're electing them to office. Part of the allure was sexy jets, and today we're saddled with the F-35 (yeah, I take shots at it, after two tours at the JSF program office... word is that Maverick and the team will focus on the Rhino and Growler team, which is probably smart). Part of the allure was the attraction, and we seem to be doing our very best to neuter that, today, in our perpetually offended and sensitive world. So, I will wait and see with moderate expectations.

R/s
Spam

Fester

Quote from: Spam on July 19, 2019, 03:47:34 AM

Summer of '86... still a cadet... first date to take a girl (now my wife of 28 years) to see Top Gun... ended up as the lead F-14 cockpit engineer for NAVAIR, working with the boys at Miramar (and now, in north Nevada). I ended up working with Yak and a couple other guys who advised on The Movie and still run into former CAP cadets my age who entered the service partly because of that film. Small world.

Hope they don't mess it up, like so many sequels/remakes these days.

As to whether the cadets of today will be excited, who knows? Part of the allure was killin' Commies, and today we're electing them to office. Part of the allure was sexy jets, and today we're saddled with the F-35 (yeah, I take shots at it, after two tours at the JSF program office... word is that Maverick and the team will focus on the Rhino and Growler team, which is probably smart). Part of the allure was the attraction, and we seem to be doing our very best to neuter that, today, in our perpetually offended and sensitive world. So, I will wait and see with moderate expectations.

R/s
Spam

What "Commies" have we elected?
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Fester

Quote from: PHall on July 19, 2019, 12:53:04 AM
Trailer looked interesting. Hope the movie can deliver.

Agreed.  Hope it can deliver.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Spam

Quote from: Fester on July 19, 2019, 04:10:17 AM

In the interest of not violating site policy, I'll refrain from naming.

It will be interesting to see who would be worthy of a film AIM-120, though, when we don't want to offend anyone these days (grin). The film version of Sum of All Fears swapped white neo Nazis for the PLO terrorists of the book. Even the remake of Red Dawn used... North Korea???? Wha? to avoid offending our most favored nation partners.

I'll go see it, though. I watched the original, un-edited-for TBS version a couple of months ago, in all its gloriously un-PC 1980s splendor.

Danger Zone!
- Spam

Fester

Quote from: Spam on July 19, 2019, 04:47:45 AM

It will be interesting to see who would be worthy of a film AIM-120, though, when we don't want to offend anyone these days (grin). The film version of Sum of All Fears swapped white neo Nazis for the PLO terrorists of the book. Even the remake of Red Dawn used... North Korea???? Wha? to avoid offending our most favored nation partners.

I'll go see it, though. I watched the original, un-edited-for TBS version a couple of months ago, in all its gloriously un-PC 1980s splendor.

Danger Zone!
- Spam

You say "PC."  I say, I was raised to know and use the Golden Rule.  Some like to go out of their way to offend, others go out of their way to treat others with respect.

Oh, well.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Spam

So, then...

"HOV/eco car Lane to the... Safe Space Zoooonnnneeee...."

::)

Spam

PS, that's a JOKE. Not an assault.

Cheers
Spam

Fester

Quote from: Spam on July 19, 2019, 05:22:06 AM
PS, that's a JOKE. Not an assault.

Cheers
Spam

I think the only time I would qualify to drive in the HOV is if I were driving a hearse.   :P
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Fester

A bit of trivia.....

What song was the most played song of the 20th century?  Hint:  It's on the soundtrack of the original film.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

dwb

In an interview, Tom Cruise referred to the new movie as a "love letter to aviation", and wanted people to have a visceral reaction watching it. That alone makes me want to see it.

The trailer doesn't give you much of what the movie is about, but those flying scenes do look wicked cool.

NIN

I'm calling it now: that's Iceman's casket.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Spam

Well,

I'm not seeing an analog TOT indicator in the Rhino Natops... And yeah we've had a couple of guys splash three in the past 30 years.

Picky? I'll disregard a lot if they have Tomcats as hinted. Yet... That would mean Mav is engaging the IRIAF!

;)

GroundHawg

I hope the film is much better than his attitude while filming it. I have a good friend (and former CAP cadet BTW) who flies Hornets and was on the Teddy when they were filming. When fighter pilots are offended by your arrogance, you have a problem!

Spam

We all know he's nuts... S'okay.

It does all have me wondering though... Who will star in the remake of "The Final Countdown"?

You know, where an LHA gets sucked through a time vortex to 1991, and the F-35s make us lose the Gulf War?

Cheers
Spam

THRAWN

Quote from: Spam on July 19, 2019, 12:20:27 PM

We all know he's nuts... S'okay.

It does all have me wondering though... Who will star in the remake of "The Final Countdown"?

You know, where an LHA gets sucked through a time vortex to 1991, and the F-35s make us lose the Gulf War?

Cheers
Spam

You, sir, have won the day...hilarious....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

TheSkyHornet

Not wearing gloves? No wonder he's still a Captain.  :P

PHall

Quote from: Spam on July 19, 2019, 04:47:45 AM

Danger Zone!
- Spam

Dude, you're the one who brought it up. You of all people should know better.