Laser Lights/Pointers Danger to Pilots

Started by RADIOMAN015, October 14, 2011, 07:45:03 PM

AirDX

Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

Major Lord

My guess is that it was a 12 Gauge flare gun. Since they don't go too high, they sometimes land hot......Of course, if you fire it horizontally, its an incendiary tracer round! Remember: Only you can prevent forests! ( with apologies to Smokie the Bear, R.I.P.)

I relined a 26mm German Flare gun (these are solid steel and aluminum, not plastic) with a 12 gauge insert, that chambers a short blank, and allows you to drop a Cyalume stick ( which happily, is just right for a 12 gauge shotgun....) It makes a great night time signal with minimal collateral fire damage. I use the 12 Minute super Bright Orange sticks. This is primarily for a line thrower gun, with the addition of an open face fishing reel, but the glow stick busts internally when fired, lighting it up, and its soft enough not to cause any damage if I hit a ceiling pipe, heater vent, innocent bystander, etc.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Al Sayre

Maybe you can market that idea to the cops.  Come up with a frangible cyalume round that doubles as a "Rubber Bullet".  Makes it easier to track a fleeing perp at night if they keep running... >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Major Lord on October 18, 2011, 12:08:00 AM
The last two posts were very poignant. I just came back from Pacificon ( a big Ham Convention) in Santa Clara California. I have never seen so many of those scooters in one place at the same time!
Major Lord

I wonder when APRS will have to include a "scooter mobile" icon?
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Major Lord

Quote from: wuzafuzz on October 19, 2011, 12:33:46 AM
Quote from: Major Lord on October 18, 2011, 12:08:00 AM
The last two posts were very poignant. I just came back from Pacificon ( a big Ham Convention) in Santa Clara California. I have never seen so many of those scooters in one place at the same time!
Major Lord

I wonder when APRS will have to include a "scooter mobile" icon?

Hmmm, excellent idea! I will be visiting Finland next summer and will bring up the idea with Hessu, who owns aprs.fi

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

blackrain

Wasn't there talk about using lasers in the D.C. area to warn aircraft that they were straying into restricted/prohibited airspace.

Anything come of that?

On a side note we used green lasers in convoy ops in Iraq to warn civilian vehicles to get out of the way. Very effective though I don't recall the power rating they had.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

mocap84

Just last week in STL, an airline flight that took off from Lambert and was heading north was blinded by a green laser outside of St. Charles. 
"Cadets, why are we yelling?!?"

PHall

Quote from: blackrain on October 19, 2011, 07:43:39 PM
Wasn't there talk about using lasers in the D.C. area to warn aircraft that they were straying into restricted/prohibited airspace.

Anything come of that?

Judging by the numer of small GA aircraft that have been intercepted in the DC area lately, I don't think it went past the "idea" stage.

flynd94

Phil,

It's just not GA pilots who screw up. Many an airline pilot has flown into the prohibited area. I really don't understand why. If you are taking off from DCA to the north, you turn left and keep the river to the right/east of your aircraft. Don't cross the river and you are safe. Doing the river visual approach keep the fiver to your left, don't cross it.  DCA is one of my most favorite airports to fly in/out of, epsicially doing the river visual. Nothing like flying down the Potomac and looking up at the Washington Monument.
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

PHall

Quote from: flynd94 on October 25, 2011, 05:45:56 PM
Phil,

It's just not GA pilots who screw up. Many an airline pilot has flown into the prohibited area. I really don't understand why. If you are taking off from DCA to the north, you turn left and keep the river to the right/east of your aircraft. Don't cross the river and you are safe. Doing the river visual approach keep the fiver to your left, don't cross it.  DCA is one of my most favorite airports to fly in/out of, epsicially doing the river visual. Nothing like flying down the Potomac and looking up at the Washington Monument.

Haven't seen any news reports about the F-16's being launched because of an errant B-737. But there has been a few about Cessna/Piper pilots busting the line into the prohibited area and the TFR over Camp David.
Of course the airliners were talking to approach/tower while most of the GA aircraft weren't talking to anybody.

bosshawk

Add to that the fact that all airliners and most corporate aircraft flying from and into Washington National, Dulles and BWI are on instrument flight plans, which means that they are in positive radar contact and are in constant radio contact with the ground, while a large percentage of GA aircraft are neither on instrument flight plans nor are talking to anyone.  Yep, it is the GA guys who are getting busted.

I know that airspace from my days in DC and I fail to understand why so many pilots don't seem to get the picture.  I chalk it up to carelessness and lack of following the rules.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Buzz

Quote from: Major Lord on October 17, 2011, 01:14:43 PM
Okay, given a choice of the necessity of signalling an aircraft at night, pick one or more of the following preferences:

My preference is to avoid being in a position where my life depends on signalling an aircraft at night.