Main Menu

Sun-N-Fun

Started by BillB, March 31, 2011, 07:16:05 PM

BillB

Several reports of storms and tornados hitting the Lakeland FL area appears to have resulted in thirty someodd aircraft damaged and 70 people were trapped for a short time under a tent. Sun-N-Fun is manned by CAP the same as Blue Beret.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Shotgun

I saw the reports and thought it was an April Fool's prank.

But a little more research disproved that quickly!

I'm Stunned!

MSG Mac

ALL Sun N Fun activities for tomorrow (FRIDAY) are cancelled. DO NOT come to Sun N Fun.
The airport is a mess and there are power lines down all around it. All personnel are ordered
NOT to report for duty tomorrow. Any one schedule for Saturday and Sunday are on standby
pending cleanup tomorrow and status of the airport tomorrow. Watch your e-mails for further
updates and information. All our assets on the field are safe at this time.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

BillB

I note that in none of the news stories CAP is not mentioned. The Wing web page is also silent on CAP efforts at Sun-N-Fun. The Wing Commander went to the scene yesterday, but the Wing PAO has sent out nothing on CAP. Were ELTs activated? Did CAP turn them off?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

a2capt

Airports are second in line to trailer parks as a tourist destination for young fledgling weather systems after they reach the age of maturity and leave the house for the first time before heading off to the higher altitudes to become something really big.

FastAttack

Quote from: BillB on April 01, 2011, 10:09:52 AM
I note that in none of the news stories CAP is not mentioned. The Wing web page is also silent on CAP efforts at Sun-N-Fun. The Wing Commander went to the scene yesterday, but the Wing PAO has sent out nothing on CAP. Were ELTs activated? Did CAP turn them off?

ELTs were active , and i believe the resident ground team staying at sun n fun were on scene turning them off , i was told by another FLWG member that was out there visiting the show.

( I am going on Sunday not in a CAP capacity though)

ketseyowyow

I was there all week
the tornado came through and almost all CAP members stayed in the OX-5 bldg during the storm, wind meters recorded 92 next to the bldg.
The cadets were sent home that afternoon, other CAP teams came in, although they wanted strictly senior members, but senior members did most of the work though.
There weren't too many injuries, but it was a HUGE mess.
the media said that tents and hangars n such collapsed trapping 70 people. this is untrue
it was back open for business friday, and the clean up over night was astounding.

Earhart1971

I was on the ground Saturday. Place was all cleaned up and you would never know it was hit with weather, except a little mud here and there.

Cadets and Seniors on War Bird Duty really impressed the EAA again. Clearing the Ramp for Engine start, the EAA Guys were ecstatic. Great Job all Cadets and Seniors on War Bird Duty Saturday!

RADIOMAN015

From a public relations standpoint, that's always a challenge.   There's really limited active PAO's nationwide and they can't be everywhere.   IF members attending an activity would take some photos and gather the names of the participants, PAO's are very capable of writing a story after the fact.  It is VERY important for us to get the word out on ALL the good things we do BUT we do need all members help in taking photos, gathering names & statements.
RM

PHall

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on April 10, 2011, 01:15:00 PM
From a public relations standpoint, that's always a challenge.   There's really limited active PAO's nationwide and they can't be everywhere.   IF members attending an activity would take some photos and gather the names of the participants, PAO's are very capable of writing a story after the fact.  It is VERY important for us to get the word out on ALL the good things we do BUT we do need all members help in taking photos, gathering names & statements.
RM

It's not a "CAP" activity, it's EAA's, we're just contract help. So EAA gets to call the shots in the Public Affairs arena.
Of course if a CAP PAO had made some inputs to the EAA Public Affairs folks, we might have gotten some ink.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: PHall on April 10, 2011, 02:46:11 PM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on April 10, 2011, 01:15:00 PM
RM

It's not a "CAP" activity, it's EAA's, we're just contract help. So EAA gets to call the shots in the Public Affairs arena.
Of course if a CAP PAO had made some inputs to the EAA Public Affairs folks, we might have gotten some ink.
I think you are being too conservative in your approach :-\.  IF any emergency happens, turning off all those ELT's helping people etc, I don't think the EAA is going to loose sleep over CAP publishing a short factual story about what they did to help out.   Just send a copy of the release to EAA's public relations folks.
RM

Spaceman3750

If active ELTs lead to AFRCC activating CAP on an AFAM the EAAs public information system no longer applies because we are then on AF time. Not that I would ignore what the EAA wants but that's the reality of it.

Earhart1971

CAP and Sun N Fun: My main thing with this event. This year was different because of the storm. In a normal year, like last year we provided to Sun N Fun about 140 Cadets and Seniors on Saturday and varied numbers of Cadets and Seniors all week.

The approximate advantage to the EAA in money savings over hiring would be a couple of hundred thousand dollars in crowd work, and supervision of the ramps for safety. I don't think the EAA could recover our services among their volunteers.

I think it might be time for CAP to talk to the EAA about some kind of benefit in $$$$ or let us open a BBQ Tent or something so that we can make a little come back on the efforts we put forth. The Food tent might be acceptable to them. Especially out by the War Birds.

CAP Leadership needs to start thinking a little more strategic on our relationship with the EAA. I spoke with hierarchy about this, and I can see by the expression that the thought never occurred to the High Ups.

If it were approached in the right way to the EAA, we could get something going. They are certainly happy with what we do there.

BillB

Yes it would be nice if CAP got some return from the work at Sun-n-Fun, but what do the cadets get. Basically Sun-nFun is equal to Oshcosk and Blue Beret for the work done by cadets during the week. A good portion of the cadets at Sun-n-Fun are home schooled so they can take part. But what rewards do they get? A ribbon? No. a Beret? no.
CAP should consider the two events equal and award the beret to cadets taking part in Sun-n-Fun.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Ned

Quote from: BillB on April 14, 2011, 07:37:39 AMCAP should consider the two events equal and award the beret to cadets taking part in Sun-n-Fun.

"Beret creep!"  (like mission creep, only with more of a fashion statement.  8) )

If this really turns into a problem, logically we could just remove the beret from NBB. 

Cheaper for everyone involved.

Robert Hartigan

I agree the knowledge, skills and abilities gained at Oshkosh and Sun N Fun are essentially the same, heck both are EAA events.

I also understand Ned's comment about beret creep.

So, I propose a few new National Cadet Special Activity based on Sun N Fun:

National Blue Fez
National Blue Pith Helmet
National Blue Rasta Tam (sans dreadlocks)
and my personal favorite, National Blue Deerstalker (hint: Sherlock Holmes worn one, but plaid):clap:
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

BillB

Deerstalker wouldn't work. It has bills on front and back and cadets wouldn't knew which way to wear it.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Al Sayre

My vote would be for National Blue Pith Helmet.  It keeps the Sun off your ears while you're having the Fun.  (I know, it's a pretty bad pun) ;D 
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787