Search And Rescue gear price list's.

Started by Hoorah, February 15, 2010, 08:42:32 PM

Dracosbane

Cadet Williams, please take a breath and count to ten.  I'd like to clarify some things, as these other SM's have been trying to do for you.  As you've asked for help building your gear list, you've overlooked one critical piece of info.  Just because you can go buy all the bells and whistles and slick do-dads, doesn't mean you should.

Yes, the idea of "you get what you pay for" will be better for you in the long run, but when you're just starting out, perfect is the enemy of good.  Finding what you're comfortable with and what works for you should be 1) a personal quest, and 2) something that happens over time, not all at once, just because you can.

You'll probably find once you do get out in the field, that all the fancy gear is a burden more than a benefit.  What I believe everyone so far has been trying to help with on here is giving you a bit of perspective before you learn first hand.  However, doing for one's self is a great teacher, so by all means, get what you want and get the experience by doing.

I will second (or third or fourth) the idea of speaking to those members of the GT, your GTL, people in your unit, and get a local perspective.  Sometimes gear is region specific, and sometimes it's only necessary to toss into your eventual 72 hr pack as a just in case. 

The Scout motto of "Be prepared" also means being prepared properly, not just with every piece of equipment you can think of.  Be practical too.

Hoorah

Hoorah

I am getting tired of *litterally banging my head against the wall* where do I find the Ground Team Logbook other than Vanguard? I will not ever buy stuff from vanguard unless the main place is out. I am looking for a download of the Ground Team Logbook

Stonewall

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on February 16, 2010, 04:19:09 PM
I am getting tired of *litterally banging my head against the wall*

You may want to invest in one of these...

I've got one for sale.  It's a few years old but I'll sell it to ya for $50.  They usually run around $90.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

I am getting tired of *litterally banging my head against the wall* where do I find the Ground Team Logbook other than Vanguard? I will not ever buy stuff from vanguard unless the main place is out. I am looking for a download of the Ground Team Logbook

Nowhere - that is a CAP-specific item.

Save your money and light up a spreadsheet on Google Docs.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hoorah

Quote from: Eclipse on February 16, 2010, 05:00:48 PM

I know how to get a copy of it only if I knew someone who could scan a copy and post it.

davidsinn

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on February 16, 2010, 05:03:31 PM

I know how to get a copy of it only if I knew someone who could scan a copy and post it.

Isn't that copyright infringement?

Why are you worrying about ES? You are an airman that has been in almost three years. If you were one of my cadets I would have terminated you about 18 months ago for non-progression. You need to get with the program and stop concerning yourself with the extras.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Hoorah

Well I have a perfectally good reason why I am just now a Cadet Airman. 8)

heliodoc

I am looking at the Aircrew & Flightline Tasks, Ground and UDF Direction Finding Team Tasks, and Mission Base Staff Tasks

Where in any preface in those three taskbooks indicate any copyright infringement?...it needs to be stated in such a way...

"No part of this book may be reproduced in any form, or by any electronic, mechanical, or other means,without permission in writing from the publisher."

CAP or Vanguard got that written in those taskbooks?   Isn't printed in any of 'em

I wouldn't get too excited about throwin around that "copyright  infringement" around so readily when it is not printed in the taskbooks

Eclipse

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on February 16, 2010, 05:03:31 PM

Just make a spreadsheet with the same, or similar field names at the top and move on.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on February 16, 2010, 05:12:53 PM

Unless it involves a long hospitalization...I doubt it. You took as long to go from a basic to airman as it took me to go from second lieutenant to first and that includes an 18 month time in grade requirement.

You should be a senior NCO by now. There isn't really a good excuse for a cadet to take two years to make airman first class.

@heliodoc, I haven't looked in them in a while but you are correct in that case especially as they are available for download straight from NHQ. He's looking for the logbook, however, and I don't know what that says nor is it freely available.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: heliodoc on February 16, 2010, 05:21:49 PM
I am looking at the Aircrew & Flightline Tasks, Ground and UDF Direction Finding Team Tasks, and Mission Base Staff Tasks

That isn't the publication we're discussing.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hoorah

Quote from: davidsinn on February 16, 2010, 05:25:16 PM
Quote from: capcadetwilliams on February 16, 2010, 05:12:53 PM

Unless it involves a long hospitalization...I doubt it. You took as long to go from a basic to airman as it took me to go from second lieutenant to first and that includes an 18 month time in grade requirement.

You should be a senior NCO by now. There isn't really a good excuse for a cadet to take two years to make airman first class.

@heliodoc, I haven't looked in them in a while but you are correct in that case especially as they are available for download straight from NHQ. He's looking for the logbook, however, and I don't know what that says nor is it freely available.
Well I Joined CAP December 2007 then my step dad was diagnosed with cancer so I took almost 2 years of absence, I did not return to cap till spring of 09 then had some hard times setbacks grieving other step father's death, and school I have been staying strong in CAP from summer,fall to now.

heliodoc

^^^

Now that has a "copyright  infringement" statement.  OOO so technical.....it needed one

Mr Williams...like everyone says here make on one your own

heliodoc

Well folks

Mr Williams has addressed something, if true, once again possibly proving CAPTalkers stepping on themselves over his CAP progression.

If this is what is keeping MR Williams in CAP and and no one in his chain of command (spell lack of leadership, until proven otherwise) is checking makes CAP just as guilty as the teacher not paying attention to the issues in the classroom.  IF GT is what is keeping him in...GREAT.
Now it time for both him and his Sqdn leadership to have a liiiiitle one on one....again if this is alll true!

CAPTalkers start  flamin his leaders at the Sqdn level

AGAIN RTF thread.... if this is true.

But his is CAPTalk ..where flamin is a readily and daily occurrence

Hawk200

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on February 16, 2010, 05:30:40 PM
Well I Joined CAP December 2007 then my step dad was diagnosed with cancer so I took almost 2 years of absence, I did not return to cap till spring of 09 then had some hard times setbacks grieving other step father's death, and school I have been staying strong in CAP from summer,fall to now.
So you only really have less than a year active in the program. These are details that you need to be straightforward about.

Have you been attempting to progress in the Cadet Program? Trying to get a few more stripes? Showing up to SAREX's without progression may lead to someone mentioning it to your DCC. It could get you removed from any active GT participation. CAPTALK is not a suitable subsitute for program participation.

Hawk200

Quote from: heliodoc on February 16, 2010, 05:41:23 PMBut his is CAPTalk ..where flamin is a readily and daily occurrence
And you're a master of it.

I'm thinking toad now.

heliodoc

Hoorah

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 16, 2010, 05:43:50 PM
Quote from: heliodoc on February 16, 2010, 05:41:23 PMBut his is CAPTalk ..where flamin is a readily and daily occurrence
And you're a master of it.

I'm thinking toad now.
Do not try and get me in trouble!

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"