Arkansas Wing responds to Missing Person Search

Started by cap235629, April 23, 2009, 07:33:12 PM

cap235629

Here is an excerpt from an email I sent to our wing PAO regarding a 2 day mission in Arkansas for a search for an elderly man who walked away from his residence in the early morning hours of Tuesday the 21st.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Initially we responded with Aircraft to fly search grids as directed by the Sebastian County Office of Emergency Management.  I was also dispatched to the scene to serve as a communications relay operator between our aircraft and the command post.  Upon my arrival I set up a CAP base station radio in the Mobile Command Post.  I soon found myself not only serving as the communications link but was tasked as their air branch director.  I was asked to assist in planning the search areas for not only our aircraft but National Guard helicopters as well.  The first day we flew 2 sorties including one that put the Planning Section Chief from the incident into the air to get a better view and understanding of the search area.

On day 2, ground teams from Rogers arrived.  Once their training was verified as to how it equated to NASAR standards, our teams were augmented by Canine Search teams and Law Enforcement personnel.  I am VERY proud to say that our teams were the VERY FIRST ground teams tasked and sent out on day 2 of the search.

The 83rd flew a total of 3 sorties on day 2 and our aircrews were the primary airborne search platforms in the air on day 2 flying more sorties than the National Guard OH58 dispatched from Camp Robinson.

In addition to the air and ground teams, CAP personnel also manned the check in point and C/2nd Lt. Emily (name witheld) served throughout the day as the only MSA in the Command Center.

Throughout both days I was the primary point of contact between the Command Center and the CAP IC's that were assigned to the mission.  This is the first time I have been involved at this level and I would like to say that the transition between IC's was seamless from our end, and each of the Officers were a pleasure to work for and extremely responsive and professional.

This response by CAP was by far the most organized and professional response the local area has seen in quite a long time.  Other agency personnel took the time to approach me after their debrief in the command center to comment on how well our teams did and praised their abilities. They were also impressed by our ability to address the requests they had.  Specifically when they asked if they could get their PSC in the air and we had an answer within minutes, their response was, this is a direct quote, "WOW, that was quick". Also the ability to transport teams in our vans due to the seating capacity was greatly appreciated.

Initially when some of the professional responders saw the age of the team members there was a bit of apprehension.  By the end of the day, there was no question as to CAP's capabilities.  I think this initial apprehension was due to the fact that they were unfamiliar with CAP and our Cadet program.  Needless to say, that is no longer an issue.

When the teams were released, I am sure they slept all the way home as it was a long, hot, tiring day that including waking up WELL before dawn and 4 hours of round trip travel and 4 different ground sorties in hilly, heavily wooded, and dense terrain.

It was an overwhelming success with an unfortunate outcome as we were unable to locate Mr. Wheeler and the search continues as I am typing this.

After this experience I think that we will be hearing from the agencies involved again if our assets can meet their needs.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love it when a plan comes together................  :) :)  ;D ;D
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Larry Mangum

Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001