What to do when organizing a ground team?

Started by Maj Alfred, July 22, 2012, 10:15:38 PM

Maj Alfred

I am in the process of setting up a dedicated ground team. As of now I am only a GTM3 but will soon be starting my gtl. What I want to know is where do I find the information to set up an effective team? something that answers questions like
"How many people are required for an effective team" or will all that be told to me when I start my gtl training?  8)
Ronnel Alfred, Capt, C.A.P.
Wright Brothers      4849           30 Sep 2005
Billy Mitchell           55282         20 Nov 2006
Amelia Earhart       13826          20 Apr 2007

Eclipse

Download the "Ground and Urban Direction Finding Team Task Guide" and the "Reference Text".  You should also be familiar with the CAPR 60-3.

Everything you need to know is in there.  It would als obe a good idea to become familiar with the duties of Ground Branch Director, to know what a team will be asked do, and the procedure for guiding them.

http://www.nesa.cap.gov/gsarcurr.htm

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

Quote from: Capt Alfred on July 22, 2012, 10:15:38 PM
or will all that be told to me when I start my gtl training?  8)

No, not really...
Depending on where you do your training, and/or the ES culture in your wing...

The capabilities (and limitations) should be covered in the task training and reference material.

Under most circumstances, you will need at least 4 people to deploy a "ground team" (including the GTL)
Smaller crews than that may still go in some circumstances;  they may deploy as a UDF Team instead, in some circumstances.  Your experience may vary based on your wing, ground branch director, and IC.

That said, if you train 3 other gtm's, and one of them isn't available, then you may be high and dry if a call out comes up and you can't get everyone.  So you're better off to have a broader pool to draw from.  My team has routinely had 8-10 people qualified as GTM (not counting the gtl's), we usually go out the door with between 4 and 7 total people on board.

Also have a backup you.  Even if you have a 12 persons qualified as GTM3, if *YOU* (the only GTL) can't take a call-out then the whole team stays home.  eh.

Your squadron/team will need to acquire the various gear necessary to perform the tasks in the handbook and reference text.  You probably don't need a bunch of extra crap that is not directly tied to the accomplishment of those tasks.  This does, however, include comm gear.

You will need a vehicle that can haul your team around.  This may be a corporate vehicle, and if it is, you'll need a CAP licensed driver (not necessarily the GTL).  You can use a POV if you must, if you want, or even if you prefer (perhaps depending on your wing).

IMHO have your team master the fundamentals...  Search line.  Electronic DF.  Basic Self Care.  Communications and Coordination (with other ground teams, aircrews, and mission base).  And of course, mission admin.
Practice them until you are proficient as individuals and as a team.
Go to sarexes to practice, and also show off your skills.
And when the phone call finally comes, make sure that you answer it and go out the door (this is a serious problem for a surprising number of ground teams)

That's about all there is to it :)