CTWG Assists with DR Efforts

Started by EMT-83, June 12, 2011, 02:11:43 AM

EMT-83

Severe thunderstorms swept through Connecticut on Thursday afternoon, causing widespread damage and power outages.

CAP members from western Connecticut are actively assisting DR efforts in the town of New Fairfield, where some 40% of the town lost power. They went door-to-door checking on residents and handing out flyers with emergency information. They are currently staffing the Red Cross shelter, even though many have personally been affected by the storm.

A quick shot of some cadets appeared on the local news:

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/on-air/as-seen-on/North_Fairfield_Weather_Folo_Hartford-123672964.html

Further east, I was tasked into my town's Emergency Operations Center by my fire chief. Although this was not a CAP mission, my cadet son used his MRO and MSA skills as we worked side by side in the EOC. Our local emergency management and elected officials were blown away by the maturity and competence shown by a teenager.  As a commander, I was proud - as a parent, even more so.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 12, 2011, 02:11:43 AM
Severe thunderstorms swept through Connecticut on Thursday afternoon, causing widespread damage and power outages.

CAP members from western Connecticut are actively assisting DR efforts in the town of New Fairfield, where some 40% of the town lost power. They went door-to-door checking on residents and handing out flyers with emergency information. They are currently staffing the Red Cross shelter, even though many have personally been affected by the storm.

A quick shot of some cadets appeared on the local news:

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/on-air/as-seen-on/North_Fairfield_Weather_Folo_Hartford-123672964.html

Further east, I was tasked into my town's Emergency Operations Center by my fire chief. Although this was not a CAP mission, my cadet son used his MRO and MSA skills as we worked side by side in the EOC. Our local emergency management and elected officials were blown away by the maturity and competence shown by a teenager.  As a commander, I was proud - as a parent, even more so.
It's great to see that CAP at the community level was able to provide support and get some media attention :clap:   :clap:  Also it is gratifying to see that CAP's training/skills could be put to good use in assisting another agency as a private citizen.   I think there's a fair number of CAP members that also belong to other emergency services types organization or are in a support role e.g. RACES (community/emergency management radio comm support), ARES (Red Cross radio comm support), Amateur Radio Nets/Individuals Direct "Skywarn", CERT, Red Cross, etc.  Some of this doesn't real require that much training or a lot of uniform items, some may involve more training.

The key is to take the training where ever it is offered and utilize it where it will contribute the most in the shortest amount of response time -- perhaps not in a role as a CAP ES member.
RM