Old "MISSING" Flyers from missions

Started by Stonewall, July 15, 2010, 12:26:05 AM

Stonewall

Check out the 2 uploaded documents.  I was looking through my "I love me" 3-ring notebook of certificates dating back to....well, a long long time ago.  Like early 80s.  I save everything.  In it you'll find a certificate from my first encampment at Tyndall AFB in 1987 to my SERE graduation certificate in 2005.  It was interesting to go through and reflect.

However, among certficates and autographed pictures (like Scott O'Grady), I found these two flyers from missions I was on for missing people.  One was from April 1991 during my last few months as a cadet.  The aircraft was found but the pilot died.  It was around Cocoa Beach, FL.

The second flyer was from October 1996.  It was for a missing girl that was later found dead in a lake in Prince William County, VA.  I remember it well because it was a several day, multi-agency search.  I was in a college class when my pager went off.  I returned 3 days later.
Serving since 1987.

Patterson

^ those are neat, but the stories are sad.  Was CAP the agency that found the little girl and the pilot??

Stonewall

If I remember correctly it was a CAP aircrew that found the missing airplane.  As for the girl, I just remember that a CAP team did not locate the girl.
Serving since 1987.

Patterson

Glad to hear that.  Nothing worse than a 14 or 15 year old Cadet finding a dead body.  I am not sure how well that would go ver with some Parents these days either. 

I was 17 when I found my first deceased hiker, but was with a group of younger Cadets as well.  To me, that was intense, to some younger it was more difficult.  Never had to use the Squadron Chaplain as much as we did that week.

Stonewall....what year did you join?  Looks like you have had some pretty cool times in CAP.  Thanks for your Service as well.  We need more like you willing to stay in CAP after leaving the Cadet Program!! 

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.