Encampment Line Cadre Ideas

Started by Picy3, July 10, 2019, 08:11:06 PM

Picy3

I am going to be a Flight Commander This year at AKWG Summer Encampment. I have experience as Support at two other encampments and Flight Sgt and Flight Com at my squadron.

I am just looking for tips (Aside from communication and making sure me and my flight sergeant have it/knowing my material) that you've seen or used that helped. Even just things you have done that either helped the cadets or is something that may work better against problems that may come up. Really anything you've seen at encampment as line that may help us have a really successful week.
Cadet Second Lieutenant who finally passed his Mitchell.

Rocketry badge, GTM3 badge, Solo Wings at a National Flight Academy, Encampment Cadre and two+ years of CAP in all its greatness.
DFAC - 2019 WRIII
Logistics - 2019 CFXXIV
Alpha Flight Commander - 2019 ACIV

chacharoo

Make sure everything you say and do has a training purpose behind it that you can explain.

If you make a mistake, don't get flustered, and don't let your flight know it. They should look up to you and think you're so remarkably well trained that you don't make mistakes, and they want to be just like that during their week.

If your flight has 5 minutes to change from PTUs to utilities, you need to do that in 3. Same goes for chow, they have 10 minutes? You need to be done in 5. You need to exceed the standards set for them.

Make sure they have instruction/direction every waking hour, even during call to quarters (I know that's their personal time) but you should still be reminding them of the things they can be doing during that time so they don't get too relaxed or get themselves into trouble.

Most importantly, it's a learning experience for yourself as well. Everyday you'll realize you can make improvements and you'll learn plenty of new things throughout the week.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eclipse

Quote from: chacharoo on July 11, 2019, 03:20:17 AM
If your flight has 5 minutes to change from PTUs to utilities, you need to do that in 3. Same goes for chow, they have 10 minutes? You need to be done in 5. You need to exceed the standards set for them.

Um, no.

That's why there are set times.

The last thing you want or need is a flight standing up early and messing with the whole rotation.

Do things in the time allotted.  Don't be late, but don't artificially make things harder.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Make sure they have instruction/direction every waking hour, even during call to quarters (I know that's their personal time) but you should still be reminding them of the things they can be doing during that time so they don't get too relaxed or get themselves into trouble.

DO NOT impinge on personal time which is explicitly set forth as having no training.

You do not need instruction / direction every waking hour.  Do the things you are supposed to be doing,
which, if your encampment plans properly, will be more then clear by the time you get to RST.

Familiarize yourself with this: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/Encampment_Guide_2017_3285B33361E56.pdf

Encampment time is regimented and precious, but it is not BMT.

See here, too: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=24327.0

"That Others May Zoom"

chacharoo

Quote from: Eclipse on July 11, 2019, 03:40:37 AM

Um, no.

That's why there are set times.

The last thing you want or need is a flight standing up early and messing with the whole rotation.

Do things in the time allotted.  Don't be late, but don't artificially make things harder.

Eclipse, you misunderstood what I meant. I meant as the flight commander you need to be done quicker, not the students.

chacharoo

Quote from: Eclipse on July 11, 2019, 03:43:04 AM

DO NOT impinge on personal time which is explicitly set forth as having no training.

You do not need instruction / direction every waking hour.  Do the things you are supposed to be doing,
which, if your encampment plans properly, will be more then clear by the time you get to RST.

Again, not what I meant

Eclipse

Regardless, the response is the same.

Yes, move with a purpose.

No, do not cut your own time for things by 1/2.  That is an unnecessary level of pressure.
Encampments are generally planned out well in advance and take these things into account.

A cadre cadet who has already been to at least one encampment is generally going to be
able to do the require tasks is the requisite time with no "where's my stuff?" drama,
which in and of itself cuts the actual time down, without needing to artificially set a harder bar.

Cadre also know well in advance what they need to do and have, so again, no "I can't find my pants
excitement" as you see from newer students.

There is no impetus to drive a 15 year old CF into the ground.

And the personal time is personal time for all, especially the cadre.

Set the tone and example, don't be "that guy". The best cadre are the calm in the storm.

"That Others May Zoom"