Inside the landmark NY TWA Terminal

Started by Eclipse, June 03, 2013, 08:15:50 PM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

MacGruff

I flew in and out of that terminal a couple of times about 15 years ago. It was kind of a strange experience with all the rounded walks that made it very difficult to figure out where to go. It reminds me a bit of the confusion in Charles De Gaulle where you have to take those escalators through the see-through tunnels in the middle of the building...

It looks gorgeous but is somewhat impractical.

vento

Nice find. Very cool. I miss TWA and Pan Am, and Braniff International, and...

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on June 03, 2013, 11:20:10 PM
... and SmileyGrinning Birds.  :(

FTFY.    PSA's aircraft were known as "Grinning Birds".  The L-1011 was the "Mother Grinning Bird". (All 500 seats of it!)

46davis

Quote from: vento on June 03, 2013, 11:17:25 PM
Nice find. Very cool. I miss TWA and Pan Am, and Braniff International, and...

...and Eastern, and Southern, and Midway, and North Central,  and Ozark, and Northeast, and Wien...

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Critical AOA

Quote from: PHall on June 04, 2013, 01:12:24 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on June 03, 2013, 11:20:10 PM
... and SmileyGrinning Birds.  :(

FTFY.    PSA's aircraft were known as "Grinning Birds".  The L-1011 was the "Mother Grinning Bird". (All 500 seats of it!)

PSA's L-1011 held 500?  I don't recall ever seeing a TriStar with that many seats.  That would qualify as a sardine can.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

ProdigalJim

^^^^^

I was just at Airbus last week at their delivery center in Toulouse, and their top programs guy was telling us about a new higher-gross weight A380 designed to sit 562 in a "comfortable" 11-abreast arrangement. 18-inch wide seats. Yeah, buddy, I can't WAIT to fly 14 hours to Singapore in Row 78...
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

MacGruff

I don't think I would ever set foot on an A380. just the loading and unloading process would take two or three hours!!!

Well, maybe in Business Class or First Class...

Did you hear where American is trying to squeeze more seats on to their planes now? Also, Southwest is making thinner (thinner? really?!) backrests on their seats to get another row in a 737???

Sheesh!

PHall

Quote from: MacGruff on June 14, 2013, 12:06:22 AM
I don't think I would ever set foot on an A380. just the loading and unloading process would take two or three hours!!!

Well, maybe in Business Class or First Class...

Did you hear where American is trying to squeeze more seats on to their planes now? Also, Southwest is making thinner (thinner? really?!) backrests on their seats to get another row in a 737???

Sheesh!

Actually, the A380 loading goes fairly quickly, they use two jetways.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse