Main Menu

The Second Sub

Started by D.Mullz, July 20, 2010, 08:53:52 PM

D.Mullz

Sorry if this question has already been asked, I didn't see any threads with an answer.

I have been able to find plenty of information on CAP's first confirmed u-boat sinking, but no information on the second sinking. Does anyone know who was responsible for sinking the second u-boat, and what the circumstances were?

Thanks!

FW

We don't know if there really was a second sub sunk by CAP.

Here is a quote from the CAP online National Museum;
"CAP flew 24 million over-water miles, spotted 173 subs, attacked 57, damaged 17 and sank one, possibly two. CAP also located the survivors of 363 ships, reported 91 vessels in distress and found 17 floating mines"

SABRE17

i believe it was coastal patrol base 18 that had the second "possible" and if im not mistaken the first was also sunk by 18 both in the area of cape cod

BTCS1*

I believe that one of them was off of Long Island.
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

RiverAux

Of course there are those that question that we sank any since to my knowledge no one has matched the date and location we supposedly sank the sub to the loss of a specific German submarine.  It sure would be nice to know that we sank U-??? for sure. 

Smithsonia

Every Sub that was sighted on the surface, saw a CAP bomber and submerged, sank... so if "Sank" is the gold standard and not destroyed, blown up, killed, exploded, demolished, etc... then we "sank" them all. We should take more credit by using the primary and not secondary definition. I love messing with the language.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

RiverAux

OMG, every US submarine has sunk this year!

JC004

Sounds like a job for History Detectives...   >:D