NESA Expanding - ES Training Opportunity

Started by husker, October 25, 2019, 07:52:06 PM

husker

Many of you are familiar with the Alabama Wing WESS (Wing Emergency Services School) that has been running since 1997.  Over the years, we've grown into a large scale training activity for Southeast region, and I'm happy to announce that WESS is continuing now as a National Activity, operating as a satellite of the National Emergency Services Academy.

During this cycle (our 23rd year of task based training), we will again be offering courses in Ground Search and Rescue (Basic, Advanced, Team Leader), Mission Aircrew (Photographer, Scanner, Observer, Mission Pilot), Wilderness Advanced First Aid, as well as a new course in Small Unmanned Aerial Systems (sUAS). 

The new NSSE Activity Announcement is can be found at https://southeastnesa.cap.gov/media/cms/2020_NSSE_Activity_Announcement_66F09FF28CABF.pdf, and the new program's website is https://southeastnesa.cap.gov

The move to a National activity should be positive all the way around.  If you are within driving distance, we hope the see you this cycle.

Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
Deputy Director, National Emergency Services Academy
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov

Imouttahere

Thank you for posting this. Do I understand that this program breaks the training down to modules over a longer period of time versus a multi day course like NESA?  For reference, I'm in Maine but I'm looking to attend NESA to knock out most of the requirements at once for GTM3 and Aircrew.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Holding Pattern

What can you tell us about the facility compared to NESA?

etodd

Quote from: usaf730 on October 31, 2019, 10:49:43 PM
Thank you for posting this. Do I understand that this program breaks the training down to modules over a longer period of time versus a multi day course like NESA?

Yes. See the schedule in the links above. Basically its 5 weekends Fri-Sun. One per month for 5 months. Quite a commitment.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

etodd

Quote from: husker on October 25, 2019, 07:52:06 PM

... a new course in Small Unmanned Aerial Systems (sUAS). 

Very good introductory course to the program, that will also get you some practical flying experience. But after the 5 weekends you will NOT be signed off as a sUAS Mission Pilot. You will still have many things to work on and check off on the SQTR back at your Wing, working with your local sUAS Instructors and Check Pilots.

(The website doesn't make this clear, hence my disclaimer)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

husker

I've been meaning to update this thread, as I've received several email/messages asking a few of the same questions.

1.  The move to a National Activity - no, nothing happened with Alabama Wing.   :)   The move to a National Activity was a natural progression for the event - Alabama was a great host for many years, and the Alabama Wing Commander was supportive of the move.  The current ALWG Vice commander is also one of my long time and most valuable staff members.  The activity was started as a Maxwell Composite training event over two decades ago, with the purpose of testing and implementing the (at that time) new task based training (similar to what we're doing with sUAS now).  We moved it to an Alabama Wing activity in the early 2000s, as we were drawing more participants from all over Alabama.  In the past few years, we've drawn as many or more participants from other wings than Alabama.  We discussed moving it to a region activity, but we pull from more than one region.  It made the most sense (for several reasons) to move it under the NESA umbrella as a National event. 

Members will receive the NESA patch on successful completion of their course at the new NSSE program.

2.  I've received several questions regarding the sUAS course.  The main instructor is Lt Col Austin Worcester, who is the head of the sUAS program at National Headquarters.  He is also bringing in two other instructors from the area.  We will be starting with just the basic course, with the plan of testing instructional methods and tasks at NSSE for future roll out to the main sUAS program.  Slots are limited for this program.  (I think the number is 20).

Quote from: Holding Pattern on October 31, 2019, 11:43:43 PM
What can you tell us about the facility compared to NESA?

3.  Sure - the event is held at the Vigilant Warrior Remote Deployment site in Titus Alabama.  The Air Force uses this facility for its field training for all of the ascension schools.  It is certainly not as nice as the facilities in Indiana, but it is about perfect for NSSE.  The barracks are heated and cooled, and shower facilities are available.  No concierge service or mints on pillows.  The aircrew school accomplishes the classroom work at VW, but all flying is in and out of Clanton Airport (02A).

You can see more info at https://southeastnesa.cap.gov/about/facilities

Quote from: etodd on November 01, 2019, 02:42:00 AM
Yes. See the schedule in the links above. Basically its 5 weekends Fri-Sun. One per month for 5 months. Quite a commitment.

It is a commitment, but we are also very thorough in the training.  This discussion came up last year as well - yes, we do take 5 weekends for all courses.  We do have folks who drive from as far as North Carolina, so it is doable for the majority of members in the area.

Please do feel free to post or email any questions.
Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
Deputy Director, National Emergency Services Academy
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov