SIMS - Squadron Information Management System

Started by CadetProgramGuy, April 15, 2007, 10:25:51 PM

CadetProgramGuy

Have any of you heard of SIMS?  It can be downloaded at:

http://www.squadroncommand.com/filemgmt/index.php

I have started to use it more frequently, and I have to say that i do like it.  What are you thoughts?

Monty

Used it highly-actively for 2 years.  Fantastic stuff....great way to make sure one is on top of stuff (and in some cases, hold folks accountable for being on top of stuff correctly.)

Love it much....great for Cadet Programs.........not so groovy (yet) for seniors, but getting there.

acarlson

Quote from: msmjr2003 on April 15, 2007, 10:54:59 PM
...Love it much....great for Cadet Programs.........not so groovy (yet) for seniors, but getting there.

hi kids!  me again...
Monty... you'll be happy to know I'm working with Dennis to get SIMS up to snuff on the SM side.... it's in the works now, in fact I just had a discussion with him yesterday! 
you're gonna love it!
Annette Carlson, 1Lt CAP
PDO, PAO, Pers, & Historian
Doylestown Composite Squadron 907
Doylestown PA

MIKE

Open Source SIMS using OpenOffice Base would be the [mess]. JMHO.
Mike Johnston

JC004

Quote from: MIKE on April 15, 2007, 11:16:36 PM

+1,000   ;D

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: acarlson on April 15, 2007, 11:11:04 PM
...Love it much....great for Cadet Programs.........not so groovy (yet) for seniors, but getting there.

hi kids!  me again...
Monty... you'll be happy to know I'm working with Dennis to get SIMS up to snuff on the SM side.... it's in the works now, in fact I just had a discussion with him yesterday! 
you're gonna love it!

Care to share what you have in mind?  Also any talks with dennis to get a wing level SIMS package?

Monty

hi kids!  me again...
you're gonna love it!

Dealy-o!  Gonna hold ya to that!  :)

arajca

The problem is the programming language used in SIMS doesn't work with OOBase.

ps. Maj Gen Pineda asked Dennis to give a presentation at the NB in Aug.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: arajca on April 16, 2007, 12:40:41 AM
The problem is the programming language used in SIMS doesn't work with OOBase.

ps. Maj Gen Pineda asked Dennis to give a presentation at the NB in Aug.

I saw that comment on SquadronCommand.com

acarlson

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on April 15, 2007, 11:55:21 PM

hi kids!  me again...
you're gonna love it!
Also any talks with dennis to get a wing level SIMS package?

as a matter of fact... yes I mentioned using SIMS for multi-units... and group/wing level as well.  we shall see.

Annette Carlson, 1Lt CAP
Doylestown PA

Tubacap

Great program, I've been using it for about 2 years as well for cadet programs.  I just hooked it up to our Squadron LAN so that we can do multiple workstation data entry.  I can't figure out the ES side very easily, and yes I did download the tCapwatch database.

Just got back from a WMU training by the author.  It is also a pretty slick program.  Between the two programs a squadrons/wing can run really easily with records management a snap! 

Bye bye paperwork! (Disclaimer, please backup data on at least one machine and one other type of hard drive)
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

CadetProgramGuy

I've heard rumors about SIMS 5.0  Any Truth?

arajca

Quote from: Tubacap on April 16, 2007, 02:21:39 AM
Great program, I've been using it for about 2 years as well for cadet programs.  I just hooked it up to our Squadron LAN so that we can do multiple workstation data entry.  I can't figure out the ES side very easily, and yes I did download the tCapwatch database.

Just got back from a WMU training by the author.  It is also a pretty slick program.  Between the two programs a squadrons/wing can run really easily with records management a snap! 

Bye bye paperwork! (Disclaimer, please backup data on at least one machine and one other type of hard drive)
WMU has ( or did last week) a problem with listing who approved tasks for ES. When it imports the task sign-offs, it list whoever entered the tasks in MIMS (which MIMS records separate from the approver) as the approver. Ergo, WMU makes it look like I approved my own tasks when all I did was enter them in MIMS - this was when I was ESO at my former unit. Not a good thing.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Tubacap on April 16, 2007, 02:21:39 AM

But one should always have a paper backup of all their stuff... ::)  The invention of computers has only increased the amount of paper we use...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Tubacap

Good point, but I don't have to make my fingers sore from typing  ;D
NER-PA-001

jimmydeanno

Perhaps a good method would be to incorporate SIMS into CAPWATCH, or enable SIMS to be uploaded into CAPWATCH (national member database).  There is an attempt already with logging the PD courses, o-flights, etc, but ramp it up to include all awards and decorations, etc.  Member logs onto CAPWATCH, fills out the form (like SIMS), it gets routed to the appropriate person for approval, and VOILA, done.

It would work well for logging cadet promotions, as well as provide data to NHQ about the amount of time spent at specific grades, and identify "road blocks" in the program.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

CadetProgramGuy

Problem with allowing SIMS to have access to CAPWATCH is that national wants to control CAPWATCH.

Allowing users to have writing ability to CAPWATCH could actually be a bad thing.  I know I could really screw it up bad.

acarlson

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on April 16, 2007, 02:36:23 AM
I've heard rumors about SIMS 5.0  Any Truth?

Okey dokie people.... here's the latest poop!
the abridged update from Dennis:

"This is definitely an exciting chapter in SIMS development... I've started working on the beta 8...You can let the people on CAP Talk site know you and I are making progress on this major addition to the senior side of SIMS...I will be busy working on SIMS...  You may not hear from me for a little while, but rest assured, progress is being made."

Annette Carlson, 1Lt CAP
Doylestown PA

Tubacap

Interesting thought... could SIMS somehow export items to an email address at NHQ so that the general membership didn't have access to CAPWATCH and tCAPWATCH databases, but wouldn't have to go through two separate data entry points?
NER-PA-001

akwingspilot

I was wondering if anyone has a copy of the SIMs program. I have gone to the squadroncommand website, and i keep getting an error in trying to download it. I was hoping someone could be willing to share their file with me. First time trying to use it. Please help...