AB 485. CAP: California Wing: employment leave. Passes Calif. House

Started by wingnut55, May 31, 2009, 10:06:06 PM

PHall

Quote from: RiverAux on October 13, 2009, 02:47:15 AM
It already did.  The Gov has signed it and it is law.  I haven't seen the actual legislation so don't know when it goes into effect.

Jan 1, 2010 if I'm not mistaken.

sardak

From the website  maintained by the Legislative Counsel  of California: "Most bills go into effect on the first day of January of the next year. Urgency measures take effect immediately after they are signed..." I didn't see an urgency measure, so it appears January 1, 2010 is correct.

The California law is interesting in that it provides "not less than 10 days per year calendar year of unpaid leave."  The other bills I've read put an upper limit on the number of days.

QuoteDoes any state force paid leave, even for the military?  I doubt it.
I expect companies to let our people go, and save their jobs, but not to pay them for the time...

yep.  there was an article about these laws in the volunteer a while back.  Seem to recall at least one required paid leave for city, county, state employees.

The Colorado law states "Any member who is an officer or employee of the state or of any political subdivision, municipal corporation, or other public agency of the state" can get up to 15 days of paid leave. Private employers are only required to provide unpaid leave.

Mike

RiverAux

I guess they're saying that an employer must provide at least 10 days of unpaid leave, but leaves the option open to allow them to provide more than 10 if they want. 

a2capt

I have to say that when I first read about the similar passage of a bill in Iowa which seemed to be the one that made lots of discussion, that it would be amazing but probably never happen, if something like that would get floated in California.