Main Menu

What's in a name?

Started by fireplug, January 29, 2008, 08:36:36 PM

fireplug

In a couple of threads over the past two weeks comments were made on how units are designated and used. I would like to suggest that the term "Operations and Training Squadron/Group/Wing" be adopted. Example: 85th (or state name) Operation & Training Wing, Civil Air Patrol
851st Operations and Training Group
8511th Operations and Training Squadron (does not need to be ID'd as Sr, Cdt, or Comp.)

The units below wing provide administrative support to their personnel, who are then called on to perform missions (AE, Cdt, ES) at the unit level and above.
Thanks for looking.

Hawk200

Been suggested before, but there's really nothing wrong with the way we do it now.

Eclipse

And assuming this was a good idea, who covers the significant expense of new flags, patches, business cards, collateral, and website updates?

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

And not to mention the current prohibition on such nomenclature by CAPR 20-3.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

IceNine

There are a double hiney load of units that are named after significant contributors to CAP, the unit, etc.

Taking away that heritage for a random number and some other wording is wrong on several accounts.

For instance, Illinois Wing has a unit named after a Tuskegee Airman who commanded that unit for something like 35 years (give or take up to a decade).

I am sure saying you will now be the 0U812 Admin unit would soil in a few peoples cornflakes
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Dragoon

My guess is that the reason for names being based on local geography/political boundaries is to emphasize that CAP units are supposed to be getting involved with local government, and not just waiting for taskings from Wing.

Of course, since we don't TRAIN our commanders on how to do this, nor evaluate how well they do this, we may not be getting the desired results in many place.