ABUS might be coming. I think.

Started by Full time cadet, March 18, 2015, 06:21:31 AM

Full time cadet

So the other day I was wearing BDUS to school (approved by Squadron Commander as recruiting material) because it was camouflage day. Got complimented by my AFJROTC sergeants of how well I press my BDUs and my creases  8).

Conversation.

MSgt: So you heard?

Me:What is it sir?

MSgt: Air Force is making it permanently that BDUS will be completely replaced by ABUS now for Cadets.

Me: Really? But I don't think so because the Air Force probably not approving abus for us due to the "line" drawn between us

MSgt: So you guys staying in BDUs?

Me: I guess so.

Note that my unit is already starting its transition to ABUs. Im starting to get them too (man I gotta shovel out 150 bucks on boots now)
Last year during my 2014 leader laboratory activity (its like a CAP encampment but with MTIs,College AFROTC and high school cadets "instructing")
So I've been wonder if CAP is going to get ABUs.

Just like putting this on for fun

Now heres some cool images

http://picuploaders.com/image/a
http://picuploaders.com/image/g
http://picuploaders.com/image/o
http://picuploaders.com/image/N
http://picuploaders.com/image/u

abdsp51

Panache

Full time cadet

Nah not trolling. Not trying to get people excited.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

I think he has a point: BDUs will eventually exit, stage left, to be replaced by either ABUs or the successor to ABUs.  I'm pretty sure that will eventually happen once the dust settles around DoD uniforms.  (we heard the same "Oh, we'll NEVER get BDUs.." around 1990, but we didn't have the Internet to propagate the meme then..)

However, we're not going to find out its a thing from some random AFJROTC MSgt instructor. :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

TheTravelingAirman

The day ABUs become the standard uniform will be the day I get the Blue "BDU" set. ABUs... Many have waited since the day the AF announced them for them to go away. Other than availability, there is no upside to the ABU over the BDU. Many downsides, actually.

31 Oct '11 was a sad day.

"PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE PHASEOUT DATES FOR UNIFORM ITEMS"    -Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) 1 November 2011

NIN

Not disagreeing that ABUs are a little, uh, un-functional.

I mean, they're basically different color BDUs with no improvements (except a pen pocket) and *really* expensive boots.

It will eventually happen, but I suspect it will be longer than anybody thinks.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

a2capt

We did pick up a large amount of BDU's from a local AFJROTC unit.. as -that- program is making the change.

kwe1009

Quote from: NIN on March 18, 2015, 12:27:43 PM

I mean, they're basically different color BDUs with no improvements (except a pen pocket) and *really* expensive boots.

Actually the ABUs are cut differently and do not fit the same as BDUs.  You are definitely right about the boots and multiple pen pockets.  I have to wear ABUs when I'm on duty.  If CAP goes to ABUs, I'll be switching to BBDUs too.

Shuman 14

So if you already have boots that are authorized for wear with ABU's... what would the expense be?  ???
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

SarDragon

Quote from: shuman14 on March 18, 2015, 05:51:44 PM
So if you already have boots that are authorized for wear with ABU's... what would the expense be?  ???
The vast majority of CAP members, particularly cadets, do NOT already have these boots.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Airplane girl

It's bad enough being confused for real military in uniforms that aren't currently used...

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Airplane girl on March 18, 2015, 11:01:18 PM
It's bad enough being confused for real military in uniforms that aren't currently used...

FTFY

lordmonar

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 18, 2015, 11:07:01 PM

FTFY
What are you fixing?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Full time cadet

Quote from: shuman14 on March 18, 2015, 05:51:44 PM

The Minimum for boots (lets say Belleville the most reliable 130-150)  and the 1 set of abus (new) would be around 250-300 along with all other accessories.

ABUs itself is around 100-150 (with accessories)

I just payed 40 bucks for 2 sets of abus (used) from my unit

For the boots ill try ebay if not Im just gonna buy it new which is 130 bucks.

Full time cadet

Quote from: kwe1009 on March 18, 2015, 05:44:26 PM
Quote from: NIN on March 18, 2015, 12:27:43 PM

Actually the ABUs are cut differently and do not fit the same as BDUs.  You are definitely right about the boots and multiple pen pockets.  I have to wear ABUs when I'm on duty.  If CAP goes to ABUs, I'll be switching to BBDUs too.

ABU sizes go by numbers and lengths (34-46 i think? in S,R,L)

Full time cadet

Quote from: NIN on March 18, 2015, 11:07:13 AM
I think he has a point: BDUs will eventually exit, stage left, to be replaced by either ABUs or the successor to ABUs.  I'm pretty sure that will eventually happen once the dust settles around DoD uniforms.  (we heard the same "Oh, we'll NEVER get BDUs.." around 1990, but we didn't have the Internet to propagate the meme then..)

However, we're not going to find out its a thing from some random AFJROTC MSgt instructor. :)

Its not a random thing. He told me that the Air Force is completely replacing BDUs with ABUs by June for Cadets which means there will be no such thing as BDUs anymore. When he say CADETS and asked me it got me wondering if it affects CAP.

Panache

Quote from: Full time cadet on March 19, 2015, 04:32:19 AM
Its not a random thing. He told me that the Air Force is completely replacing BDUs with ABUs by June for Cadets which means there will be no such thing as BDUs anymore. When he say CADETS and asked me it got me wondering if it affects CAP.

There are still many places that sell new BDUs, and in fact they are still manufactured.  While the US Military may not use them, other organizations and hobbies (i.e. paintball) does.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: lordmonar on March 18, 2015, 11:40:59 PM

FTFY
What are you fixing?

There's no fake military, and we're certainly not it. So it's just the military, no real, fake, or sorta about it.

lordmonar

The short answer is no.   As of the last 39-1 they decided not to ask for the ABUs.  The rational was that the USAF may be changing uniforms soon so why change CAP just to change it again in a few years.

Right, Wrong or indifferent...that was the status last August.

lordmonar

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 19, 2015, 04:47:24 AM

FTFY
What are you fixing?

There's no fake military, and we're certainly not it. So it's just the military, no real, fake, or sorta about it.
Certainly there are. 

There's these guys http://www.usndcorps.org/index.php/about-us/mission

Full time cadet

Quote from: lordmonar on March 19, 2015, 04:48:26 AM

The short answer is no.   As of the last 39-1 they decided not to ask for the ABUs.  The rational was that the USAF may be changing uniforms soon so why change CAP just to change it again in a few years.

Right, Wrong or indifferent...that was the status last August.
Actually Im on the No side too. Its not like we have long work hours and dont have time to press sleeves and shine boots. We dont need those built in creases and sage green boots then get lazy. ABUs purpose is known for low maintenance so airmen can do their jobs better.

lordmonar

Shining boots and pressing BDUs does no mean you are productive.

If you spend more the 10 minutes on either of them.....you are doing it wrong.

Spend that time preparing for your next promotion exam.  Spend that 30 minutes doing some exercise.  Spend that time writing your SDA. 
I got plenty of things to keep cadets busy....we don't need BDU (and maintenance there of) to be use for busy work.

[/rant]

Sorry you touched one of my pet peeves.   ;D

SarDragon

Why are we still beating this dead horse? Again?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: SarDragon on March 19, 2015, 05:56:56 AM
Why are we still beating this dead horse? Again?
I'm trying to bury it....but the darned thing keeps trying to get up again.  8)

Private Investigator

Quote from: lordmonar on March 19, 2015, 05:02:52 AM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 19, 2015, 04:47:24 AM

FTFY
What are you fixing?

Certainly there are. 

There's these guys http://www.usndcorps.org/index.php/about-us/mission

Wow !!! I wonder if they have ranger units like we do?  8)