YouTube Video by Disgruntled Former Cadet[SFW]

Started by Archer, August 11, 2013, 08:23:01 PM

abdsp51

Back in 98, I was looking at transfering units because I felt that the one I was currently involved with had become a bad fit.  So that would be a valid reason to transfer but to transfer that many times because of "bullies" that were running rampant in these units, IMHO I find highly unlikely.  After listening to his rant honestly I think that he wanted stuff handed to him and he didn't want to do what was needed.  And the line about oh we did the search right but they wouldn't sign off I am not buying for a second.  If the evaluator said it wasn't done right as per the SQTR then it wasn't done right and you shouldn't be signed off. 

Either way, I believe he brought alot of his issues upon himself in general with his lack of understanding of the organization and the programs.

mwewing

For some reason, I went ahead and subjected myself to that entire video. I won't waste time trying to break that nonsense down into anything too logical. It can all be summed up that this young man was only interested in CAP insofar as it could further his own personal agenda. He completely fails to understand the purpose of cadet promotion requirements, or how ES training is accomplished. He complains about thin aerospace texts, but doesn't want that mission expanded to include the likes of model rocketry. He believes the purpose of CAP is to encourage military service in our young people, and that volunteers shouldn't be expected to do any real work.  Finally, he believes CAP is bad because he didn't get everything that he wanted when he wanted it.

I find it hard to believe that 3 squadrons all had problems with bullying, and none of them addressed it according to our rather strict stance on bullying/hazing. I find it difficult to believe that at none of these squadrons did anyone try to correct his serious misconceptions about our programs, or develop him into a more productive young leader. I think this troubled young man has very specific interests, and had a very specific motivation for joining CAP. I suspect his problems emerged from an inability to recognize the value of our programs beyond his narrow lens, and his unwillingness to function as part of the team.

Frankly, I think we are better off that this person has decided to end his membership. Based on the overall knowledge and attitude displayed in his video, I have difficulty understanding how he made it through the Mitchell. Ultimately, I think the only possible way we failed him, is if no one during his 4 year membership made any attempt to develop him beyond the narrow-minded, egotism displayed in this unfortunate video.

Good Riddance!
Maj. Mark Ewing, CAP
Commander
West Michigan Group (GLR-MI-703)

Flying Pig

I was waiting to hear an old woman yell "Eugene.... Who you talking to in there?  Get out here dinner is ready!"

Private Investigator

Quote from: NIN on August 12, 2013, 10:31:16 AM
I think this speaks to the need for better senior training to promote consistency across the board.  That way we don't have a unit that lets a guy spend 5 years in the program and advance to Phase IV and only get the equivalent of Phase I experiences and training.

Exactly. You ever do an event where the Cadet Officer is suppose to be the greatest Cadet ever and they turn out just average? The CC in some Cadet Squadrons have their own ego and use Cadets as their pawns. Back when the CC could be Squadron Commander forever I knew one that would quote he raised 36 C/Lt Cols, 92 C/Majs and 300+ C/Capts. If it was not him the Cadet Program could not survive the 1960s.  8)

Archer

Quote from: Private Investigator on August 13, 2013, 12:26:47 AM
Quote from: NIN on August 12, 2013, 10:31:16 AM
I think this speaks to the need for better senior training to promote consistency across the board.  That way we don't have a unit that lets a guy spend 5 years in the program and advance to Phase IV and only get the equivalent of Phase I experiences and training.

Exactly. You ever do an event where the Cadet Officer is suppose to be the greatest Cadet ever and they turn out just average? The CC in some Cadet Squadrons have their own ego and use Cadets as their pawns. Back when the CC could be Squadron Commander forever I knew one that would quote he raised 36 C/Lt Cols, 92 C/Majs and 300+ C/Capts. If it was not him the Cadet Program could not survive the 1960s.  8)

Promotion farms are the worst, but while the case you mentioned happens too often, another aspect is this: it's a pretty risky environment for these days for commanders to withhold cadet promotions because the cadet isn't ready for that grade.

SarDragon

Whyzat? If I can document my reasons, there's no reason for me to fear retribution. Tell the cadet why he/she's not been promoted. suggest some corrective action, and move on.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Private Investigator

Quote from: mwewing on August 12, 2013, 08:35:51 PM
I find it hard to believe that 3 squadrons all had problems with bullying, and none of them addressed it according to our rather strict stance on bullying/hazing.

Frankly, I think we are better off that this person has decided to end his membership. Based on the overall knowledge and attitude displayed in his video, I have difficulty understanding how he made it through the Mitchell. Ultimately, I think the only possible way we failed him, is if no one during his 4 year membership made any attempt to develop him beyond the narrow-minded, egotism displayed in this unfortunate video.

Good Riddance!

#1, good point, usually if you get bullied at three different Units, it could be a race or religion issue. i.e. when I was in HS we had a Jewish kid try out for the Varasity Football. Who thought his kneecap would pop in half at his first football practice. Not judging, just saying I was there.

#2, exactly, but lets look at Senior Members. Sould each SM know something about AE, CP and ES? What about a Cadet in a Cadet SQ that the CC has minimal interest in ES and believes having a 'GES' rating satisfies ES knowledge?

#3, all of CAP's resources i.e. people are valuable. If they are a problem 2B them YMMV   8)   

Private Investigator

Quote from: SarDragon on August 13, 2013, 12:44:42 AM
Whyzat? If I can document my reasons, there's no reason for me to fear retribution. Tell the cadet why he/she's not been promoted. suggest some corrective action, and move on.

I agree with SarDragon. Either they are or are not ready for promotion. Too many Cadets tell me they want their Mitchell by Christmas and I tell them they should get the next promotion before dreaming on what happens in the future.  :clap:

Archer

In a world...

...where if you do everything right, you're safe.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 12, 2013, 09:03:39 PM
I was waiting to hear an old woman yell "Eugene.... Who you talking to in there?  Get out here dinner is ready!"

Brighton Beach Memoirs?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Private Investigator

Quote from: Archer on August 13, 2013, 01:08:55 AM

In a world...

...where if you do everything right, you're safe.

Exactly. Or as John Wayne would say, "life is tough, it is tougher if you are stupid!"   8)