Your posts reflect CAP to the outside world

Started by FARRIER, March 11, 2007, 11:25:05 PM

FARRIER

http://capblog.typepad.com/capblog/2006/04/col_russ_hodgki.html

I found this from the interview with Col Russ Hodgkins (USAF), Commander of CAP-USAF. His one statement, "Your posts reflect CAP to the outside world, so don't write anything that will embarrass you later!".

I feel some on this board do not exercise this constraint. And for those that our not you our making our organization look like a joke. We have a good communication forum here so lets not waste it or our image as an organization.

From the same article the question and subsequent answer was given:

Q.  How come CAP is never mentioned when AF Leaders talk of the 'total force' concept?  Could CAP be considered the "fourth component" of the Total Force?

A.  This too is a serious question that we are just now reexamining with our Air Staff colleagues.  This concept was discussed in the spring of 2005, but received somewhat lukewarm support at that time.

I wonder why...."beating dead horses" and starting arguments with our Chaplain Corp. isn't going to help.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

arajca

Quote from: FARRIER on March 11, 2007, 11:25:05 PM
http://capblog.typepad.com/capblog/2006/04/col_russ_hodgki.html

I found this from the interview with Col Russ Hodgkins (USAF), Commander of CAP-USAF. His one statement, "Your posts reflect CAP to the outside world, so don't write anything that will embarrass you later!".

I feel some on this board do not exercise this constraint restraint. And for those that our are not, you our are making our organization look like a joke. We have a good communication forum here so let ' s not waste it or our image as an organization.or our image as an organization will what? finish the thought
You raise a good point here, but you also need to work on your writing skills. Using the proper word is a good start - "our" and "are" have two very different meanings. They may sound alike when speaking, but they read differently.

QuoteFrom the same article the question and subsequent answer was given:

Q.  How come CAP is never mentioned when AF Leaders talk of the 'total force' concept?  Could CAP be considered the "fourth component" of the Total Force?

A.  This too is a serious question that we are just now reexamining with our Air Staff colleagues.  This concept was discussed in the spring of 2005, but received somewhat lukewarm support at that time.

I wonder why...."beating dead horses" and starting arguments with our Chaplain Corp.Corps isn't going to help.

Starting arguments with the chaplain corps started with the chaplains wearing non-CAP uniforms while serving as CAP members. Note to all: This has been discussed thoroughly elsewhere. Do not bring it in any further here.

The single greatest problem most, if not all, of us have is the lack of communication and direction from the high mucky-mucks at NHQ. Our discussions and arguments are merely symptoms of this. We know that our discussions amount to nothing in the grand scheme, but they help us feel better.

FARRIER

"Starting arguments with the chaplain corps started with the chaplains wearing non-CAP uniforms while serving as CAP members. Note to all: This has been discussed thoroughly elsewhere. Do not bring it in any further here"

It was the CAP Chaplains- Problems thread. It started out harmless but turned out a little disrespectful. That is my view.

IT Professional

MIKE

This is one of the reasons I put my name, grade and unit in my sig block.  Because my name is on every single post... It forces me to take a moment and think about what I'm about to post.  Will what I am about to post get me in trouble with my chain of command, how does it reflect on my unit or CAP... Do I really want to put my name on what I'm about to say?

Of course this also has it's disadvantages for some types of discussions... but it keeps me from getting stupid.
Mike Johnston

wingnut

Guys this is a blog I believe in courtesy but it is a FREE FORUM of ideas and opinions, don't presume because you're a captain or Major, or Colonel that speech can be controlled, If a blogger questions the whole UNIFORM crap that is a never ending story with CAP we should have a right to ASK why, why are they included and we are not. Simply speaking ; they are needed to fill  a slot, you can bet your bottom dollar that if so many of us were not overweight, and generally unfit for military service we too would be filling needed slots, Oh but I digress!! We do fill a real need for the US Air Force and the Nation, but forgive me for seeing a general lack of respect for what we do. Because of the need, the Chaplains will be used (They are for free), no cost, great bargain. Look at how our Regulars, Reserves, and Guard are being ground down. Do you think we could respond to another 911, or Korean invasion? Man I now know what the English Empire was like after WW1, an empty shell of a world power. We must speak out, we are truly the last of  the Citizen Soldiers.

Ahh I feel better now :angel: :clap:

Major Carrales

I remember Col Hodgkin's replies to posts at CAP BLOG...I had hoped it would have cleared up many issues and practices truly rancid to the nature of CAP discussions. 

The exercise of free speech is a right.  With it comes responsibilities.  Freedom of speech is not freedom from responsibility for what is said.

Mike is correct...his reasons are why I basically sign all my posts.  It forces me to be honest with myself and stick by my posts.

Let us resolve to temper our conversations to the constructive.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JohnKachenmeister

"All of the brothers are valiant, and all of the sisters are virtuous."

Flaming here is the cyber equivalent of starting a bar-room brawl in the Officers' Club.  It simply isn't something that gentlemen do.
Another former CAP officer

DNall

Watch the politics earlier there, that's a no-no.

LtCol White

Quote from: wingnut on March 12, 2007, 08:22:39 AM
Guys this is a blog I believe in courtesy but it is a FREE FORUM of ideas and opinions, don't presume because you're a captain or Major, or Colonel that speech can be controlled, If a blogger questions the whole UNIFORM crap that is a never ending story with CAP we should have a right to ASK why, why are they included and we are not. Simply speaking ; they are needed to fill  a slot, you can bet your bottom dollar that if so many of us were not overweight, and generally unfit for military service we too would be filling needed slots, Oh but I digress!! We do fill a real need for the US Air Force and the Nation, but forgive me for seeing a general lack of respect for what we do. Because of the need, the Chaplains will be used (They are for free), no cost, great bargain. Look at how our Regulars, Reserves, and Guard are being ground down. Do you think we could respond to another 911, or Korean invasion? Man I now know what the English Empire was like after WW1, an empty shell of a world power. We must speak out, we are truly the last of  the Citizen Soldiers.

Ahh I feel better now :angel: :clap:

You're missing Farrier's point here. No one is talking about preventing free speech. What IS being said is that although this is a CAP forum, it is STILL in the public domain and NON CAP personnel including USAF, have access to reading the threads. What IS being talked about is watch WHAT you say and HOW you say it becuase it reflects on the entire organization. We talk about improving the image and building a closer relationship with USAF and gaining more respect. Posting adolescent feedback and blatantly disrepectful comments is NOT the way to accomplish this. As far as beating the dead horse into dust, it gives the impression that people here cannot get the point of what is being said. To the third party who comes in, reads and sees vaild points addressing the issue and answered questions that SHOULD bring a thread to a close, brings up the question of "how can they not get it? Why keep arguing what has been answered?"

We used a phrase when I was a USMC Infantry Officer that sums it up pretty good. "People aren't happy unless they are complaining. When they stop complaining, you have a real problem." The meaning of this is simple. We complain because we care and we want to make things better. When we stop complaining its because we no longer care.

We all get a little sarcastic at times. Yes we direct some joking comments at regulations, HQ, and the NHQ CC. It is still possible to vent in this manner without crossing the line and we all need to be a little more mindful of this lest we look like a bunch of whiney 16 yr old girls. (no disrespect to any of you ladies out there but you see my point)

THIS is the point Farrier is trying to make here.

Done.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

LtCol White

Quote from: MIKE on March 12, 2007, 12:41:17 AM
This is one of the reasons I put my name, grade and unit in my sig block.  Because my name is on every single post... It forces me to take a moment and think about what I'm about to post.  Will what I am about to post get me in trouble with my chain of command, how does it reflect on my unit or CAP... Do I really want to put my name on what I'm about to say?

Of course this also has it's disadvantages for some types of discussions... but it keeps me from getting stupid.

Mike, I agree with you here. I wish everyone had their name in their sig block. There is no need for anyone to hide behind a screen name here. It also helps promote intelligent discussion if you have an idea of who you are sparing with.

Perhaps you guys would consider requiring the sig block info as part of being a member here.

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

A.Member

Quote from: FARRIER on March 11, 2007, 11:58:04 PM
It was the CAP Chaplains- Problems thread. It started out harmless but turned out a little disrespectful. That is my view.
I went back and looked at that thread.  I've got to say that I didn't find anyone being disrespectful.  I'm willing to be proven wrong.

What I did see were some differing opinions and, to LtCol White's statement, perhaps someone that didn't grasp a point or two but that is far from a crime or anything to get too worked up about.  Personally, I find vast amount of wild speculation that often occurs here to be more of a concern (and even that isn't necessarily all that concerning).  Maybe this is a good reminder for some but, really, there are bigger battles to fight. 

Just my $.02.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Monty

Quote from: LtCol White on March 13, 2007, 02:57:55 AM

Mike, I agree with you here. I wish everyone had their name in their sig block. There is no need for anyone to hide behind a screen name here. It also helps promote intelligent discussion if you have an idea of who you are sparing with.

Perhaps you guys would consider requiring the sig block info as part of being a member here.

I belong to some forums where membership is contingent upon signing one's posts.  You say it, you own it.  Two forgetful omissions of the name and one is banned.  No whining allowed!

It does, rather effectively, cut down on some of the "cut 'n run" jab-posts that some folks make.  However, some folks - in my opinion - prefer their keyboard muscles of anonymity vs. having to "pony up" for what they feel and say.

FARRIER

Quote from: msmjr2003 on March 13, 2007, 04:11:21 PM
Quote from: LtCol White on March 13, 2007, 02:57:55 AM

I belong to some forums where membership is contingent upon signing one's posts.  You say it, you own it.  Two forgetful omissions of the name and one is banned.  No whining allowed!

It does, rather effectively, cut down on some of the "cut 'n run" jab-posts that some folks make.  However, some folks - in my opinion - prefer their keyboard muscles of anonymity vs. having to "pony up" for what they feel and say.

As I told A. Member in a PM, I'll answer the charge made. I'm not making a cut and run as you put it.
IT Professional

FARRIER

IT Professional